Cadets 2017

Four minutes is plenty, especially when you consider that hornlines only play for 6-8 minutes (someone did the numbers recently). I wonder how they will be further utilized, beyond the obvious of pushing props and such.

:sarcasm:

I have an idea...since horn lines only play for 8 minutes according to your data...let's cut the horn line playing back to just 4 minutes and let the singers go at it for the other four minutes...Wala

I have an idea...since horn lines only play for 8 minutes according to your data...let's cut the horn line playing back to just 4 minutes and let the singers go at it for the other four minutes...Wala

I was actually the one that did those numbers! Yeah it's usually around 6-7 minutes. Crown played for about 9 I think. Crossmen only did play for about 5 minutes, people liked their show just fine.

I imagine for at least some of it that they'll sing back and forth with the brass. It has a lot of cool implications when you think about it-- passing parts back and forth, call and answer, singing and playing as an ensemble.. I'm pretty happy about it.

For all the buzz they're generating, isn't this the first time the Cadets have really had any singing at all in a show? There was that "Amen" about 2,000 years ago, but that's all I can remember.

I imagine for at least some of it that they'll sing back and forth with the brass. It has a lot of cool implications when you think about it-- passing parts back and forth, call and answer, singing and playing as an ensemble.. I'm pretty happy about it.

For all the buzz they're generating, isn't this the first time the Cadets have really had any singing at all in a show? There was that "Amen" about 2,000 years ago, but that's all I can remember.

Umm, no. They had a singer in 2006 and they were destroyed pretty badly for it.

• Like 1

The webinar said it'd be SATB literature, in almost all English. There'll be parts that are almost a cappella and parts that are everyone, all systems go. George (Mr. Hopkins?) also said we'd be wearing a variation of the uniform (did not specify guard or proper, but most likely proper) but he couldn't reveal what kind. I asked if the small ensemble would do I&E (something The Cadets haven't done since 1984), and he said he hadn't thought about it. The rest of the questions pertained to auditions and such and aren't really relevant here.

As far as time spent singing, it really is a no-win for some of you... Too little, it's a waste of eight members. Too much, and obvious complaints. Which are both somewhat valid... however I'd say about four minutes is a good amount if they're gonna go all in with this. No matter who's in it, it won't be bad singing. There'll be over 30 people auditioning for 8 parts.

The I&E story is interesting. The 1984 corps was wrapping up after a performance, and the I&Es were happening across the parking lot. The percussion ensemble begged Hopkins to let them walk across and perform (I think it was "Candide," which would certainly come into play for 1985). Really, they begged. "It's right there." So, he shrugged his shoulders and said go ahead. He didn't even go with them. They walked in, performed and won. That was the only time he let anyone do I&E. :music:

Umm, no. They had a singer in 2006 and they were destroyed pretty badly for it.

Still better than the Troopers 2015 singing guard girl who was winded from running and was slightly out of tune.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Cadets 2006 was the first DCI show to prominently feature a solo vocalist. (Crown 2004 was the first to feature vocalists in general, but it was a vocal quartet, not a solo)

The webinar said it'd be SATB literature, in almost all English. There'll be parts that are almost a cappella and parts that are everyone, all systems go. George (Mr. Hopkins?) also said we'd be wearing a variation of the uniform (did not specify guard or proper, but most likely proper) but he couldn't reveal what kind. I asked if the small ensemble would do I&E (something The Cadets haven't done since 1984), and he said he hadn't thought about it. The rest of the questions pertained to auditions and such and aren't really relevant here.

As far as time spent singing, it really is a no-win for some of you... Too little, it's a waste of eight members. Too much, and obvious complaints. Which are both somewhat valid... however I'd say about four minutes is a good amount if they're gonna go all in with this. No matter who's in it, it won't be bad singing. There'll be over 30 people auditioning for 8 parts.

As much as I joke around about this... I'm actually looking forward to it. Certainly a change of pace from your average drum corps show.

I hope it works for them.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1

The use of singing in shows has been around a while. How it's done will determine success.

The Cadets sang in their 1984 West Side Story show (full corps singing on syllables, but really effective). The Cavaliers and Madison have done similar things, even this past year's Cavaliers.

The use of a vocal soloist is rare. Cadets did try it in 2006. Wasn't very effective. Not blaming the young lady at all.

Troopers and Boston have used soloists in recent years (and others) to much success -- although I guess that depends on taste.

Vocal quartets and other types of chamber groups have been used, most successfully with Carolina Crown in 2004, 2013, 2014.

As with most things -- and I am not up to speed with what Cadets are planning -- it depends on the show, the type of vocal group, how long they will be part of the show, how they are used, and the effects generated around them when they are singing.

My personal opinion is this: I have no problem with vocals in a singing context, but if they are used too often and are the driving force of the show, then I believe it takes away from INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC which is mostly what drum corps fans love. Drums & Bugles. I realize we are no longer playing bugles, but you get the idea. Today's drum corps are playing with a large palette of instruments and sound effects, but anytime the brass and drums get covered too much with non-brass, non-percussion sounds I believe people get turned off. That doesn't mean we can't use these other colors/voices/instruments. It just means that caution and care must be used in construction.

• Like 2