Cadets 2017

The use of singing in shows has been around a while. How it's done will determine success.

The Cadets sang in their 1984 West Side Story show (full corps singing on syllables, but really effective). The Cavaliers and Madison have done similar things, even this past year's Cavaliers.

The use of a vocal soloist is rare. Cadets did try it in 2006. Wasn't very effective. Not blaming the young lady at all.

Troopers and Boston have used soloists in recent years (and others) to much success -- although I guess that depends on taste.

Vocal quartets and other types of chamber groups have been used, most successfully with Carolina Crown in 2004, 2013, 2014.

As with most things -- and I am not up to speed with what Cadets are planning -- it depends on the show, the type of vocal group, how long they will be part of the show, how they are used, and the effects generated around them when they are singing.

My personal opinion is this: I have no problem with vocals in a singing context, but if they are used too often and are the driving force of the show, then I believe it takes away from INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC which is mostly what drum corps fans love. Drums & Bugles. I realize we are no longer playing bugles, but you get the idea. Today's drum corps are playing with a large palette of instruments and sound effects, but anytime the brass and drums get covered too much with non-brass, non-percussion sounds I believe people get turned off. That doesn't mean we can't use these other colors/voices/instruments. It just means that caution and care must be used in construction.

I fully agree. The singers and synth patches can be used well, but they should be used as a way to support the other 142 people performing.

The use of singing in shows has been around a while. How it's done will determine success.

The Cadets sang in their 1984 West Side Story show (full corps singing on syllables, but really effective). The Cavaliers and Madison have done similar things, even this past year's Cavaliers.

The use of a vocal soloist is rare. Cadets did try it in 2006. Wasn't very effective. Not blaming the young lady at all.

Troopers and Boston have used soloists in recent years (and others) to much success -- although I guess that depends on taste.

Vocal quartets and other types of chamber groups have been used, most successfully with Carolina Crown in 2004, 2013, 2014.

As with most things -- and I am not up to speed with what Cadets are planning -- it depends on the show, the type of vocal group, how long they will be part of the show, how they are used, and the effects generated around them when they are singing.

My personal opinion is this: I have no problem with vocals in a singing context, but if they are used too often and are the driving force of the show, then I believe it takes away from INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC which is mostly what drum corps fans love. Drums & Bugles. I realize we are no longer playing bugles, but you get the idea. Today's drum corps are playing with a large palette of instruments and sound effects, but anytime the brass and drums get covered too much with non-brass, non-percussion sounds I believe people get turned off. That doesn't mean we can't use these other colors/voices/instruments. It just means that caution and care must be used in construction.

You could argue Cadets used "singing" in their 2011 show and although it was sampled, and it worked very well I think.

• Like 1

a massive brass ensemble and massive percussion ensemble performing arrangements specifically made for marching is something you cannot find anywhere else. it's what makes dci unique. i'm just hoping there's not a lot of soli vocal stuff. i can hear that done better from a multitude of sources. if it's used mainly to enhance what brass and perc are doing, then i might end up liking it. i'll have to see, so i'm looking forward to it.

a massive brass ensemble and massive percussion ensemble performing arrangements specifically made for marching is something you cannot find anywhere else. it's what makes dci unique. i'm just hoping there's not a lot of soli vocal stuff. i can hear that done better from a multitude of sources. if it's used mainly to enhance what brass and perc are doing, then i might end up liking it. i'll have to see, so i'm looking forward to it.

Agreed. If there's interaction and supplementation to brass/percussion, I think I'll enjoy it.

What's with the graphic for the announcement? Looks like it is from an ad for a childrens' Christmas sing-along in a mall in Hamilton, Ohio to be honest

Hamilton, Ohio.................................oh you mean Show Choir!

(I did hear rumors that Hopkins wanted to do HairSpray....or was it that they wanted Hopkins to do Hairspray???)

Edited by xandandl

Yes... if you overlook their completely over-modulated audio in '04. LOL.

IMO, it was a good idea that was not well executed. Their later efforts were definitely better, again IMO.

Edited by Fran Haring

I'd argue that Excellence = tour + marching/movement music + preparation makes drum corps unique. Yeah, the instrumentation "used to be" special, but that ship has sailed, as well it should. And if we just take the move/music as a given, then only the tour and the prep are really the essence of drum corps.

Granted, the audience only sees/hears the move/music, but of all of us that have done it know that ALL OF THE REST OF IT is what really makes drum corps unique. And there's no sense in trying to describe to it to anyone. The best thing to do is to take them to a full day of rehearsal.

At this point, I'm on board with "anything goes" musically (all instruments). We've pretty much done away with all movement limitations, rule-wise...time to do it with instruments too.

I'm anxious to see what Cadets do with the 8 voices. I really hope it's something mind-blowing and game-changing, cuz it's right there for the taking. All they need are the right electronic techs (very difficult to find), the right equipment (expensive), the right vocal arrangements (difficult), the right ensemble arrangements (difficult), the right show integration (very difficult), and the right ensemble ears (very difficult). The easy part will be finding the vocal-major-type singers. (Keeping them happy on tour might be difficult).

But if it's just another poorly-mixed cover of something we already know, well, umm, next.

• Like 2

Yeah, the instrumentation "used to be" special,

Even with all of the electronic toys, there's still nowhere else I can hear brass ensemble this big and percussion ensemble this big playing specially designed arrangements for marching on a football field. Not the best brass bands on earth. Not the best winter percussion groups.

Nowhere.

Any mic'd up vocal ensemble that's added that performs a bunch of soli stuff? I can hear that done as well or better from a lot of different places.