Cadets 2017

2004 was a horrible year for vocals. All of it.

The only vocals were in Crown and Boston, correct? Crown was ok, Boston felt unnecessary, but neither was really horrible. I'm sure if we try hard enough, we can think of a worse vocal in those first few years. Yowza......

Yowza was fine. The Composition of Color was not. And Rent ..: let us not speak of that.

Sorry to hear that it's going to be an English language song by the Cadets. Guess it'll be another year before someone goes all-in on Christopher Tin. (Vanguard Cadets used a piece as their closer last year)

Mike

Meh. Go all in. All singing. No brass. That ought to shake things up. Think Ambassadors Of Harmony - 76 Trombones

• Like 2

The only vocals were in Crown and Boston, correct? Crown was ok, Boston felt unnecessary, but neither was really horrible. I'm sure if we try hard enough, we can think of a worse vocal in those first few years. Yowza......

There were non-finalist corps as well, but I don't recall...southwind? and more...the lower the corps the worse it was, for sure.

Even with all of the electronic toys, there's still nowhere else I can hear brass ensemble this big and percussion ensemble this big playing specially designed arrangements for marching on a football field. Not the best brass bands on earth. Not the best winter percussion groups.

Nowhere.

Any mic'd up vocal ensemble that's added that performs a bunch of soli stuff? I can hear that done as well or better from a lot of different places.

I agree with your last line, because we've all been there, done that. IT's going to have to be bold, and well-integrated, or no one will care. Especially if their hornline is perceived as less volume than their peers.

Hey give them credit for trying to do something musically innovative...most of their peers merely focus on the visual, serving up the musical equivalent of SSDD.

• Like 2

2004 was a horrible year for vocals. All of it.

I agree.

The "Hey, look at all the new toys we have but don't know how to use yet" year. LOL

Umm, no. They had a singer in 2006 and they were destroyed pretty badly for it.

West Side Story in 1984 around the 5:30 mark, whole corps....

2005 - Quite a bit of "singing" ( Drumspeak and "It's a great pleasure" sung by the lady in the pit...)

Edited by jjeffeory

West Side Story in 1984 around the 5:30 mark, whole corps....

2005 - Quite a bit of "singing" ( Drumspeak and "It's a great pleasure" sung by the lady in the pit...)

I don't understand why you replied to me. I already know they had singing. The poster to whom I was replying asked if Cadets had EVER had singing in their show.

oh the flashback. never mind. don't watch....

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 2