Cadets 2017

I'm confused by your train of thought. Cadets have had two camps so far, audition and callback. Word on the street is they have about 40 contracts handed out in the brassline and all but one perc spot set. That's pretty usual for any corps, insofar as I know-- the good and bad, the winners and losers. Cadets probably had given out the same number of contracts in 2011, 2005, etc. Drawing the conclusion that "this is what happened when they got sixth!" is akin to the comparison "they had a food truck the year they got sixth."

I mean, look, this isn't going to be some kind of blowout medalist year from the Cadets. A lot of vets left, it's a new staff. They're probably going to be in the middle of the pack again. There's no point in muttering on DCP about it, or coming up with reasons why like "they handed out a lot of contracts."

Of course they could medal this year. With Tom Aungst at the helm and a beefed up design team, I think we see a Cadets surge this year.
  • Like 2

Of course they could medal this year. With Tom Aungst at the helm and a beefed up design team, I think we see a Cadets surge this year.

One would only hope; I certainly hope so. However, as much as I am one who doesn't like to compare or dwell on the past, I have come to the conclusion that past situations are relevant to the current in that we have seen what has happened with a new staff change. I obviously am hoping for the best.

• Like 1

I agree with you. Many of the issues that have caused the Cadets slide in placement are being addressed. The design team has a solid concept and they are not making it up as they go like last year. There is a renewed sense of optimism, and there is a positive energy you can feel in the room! I will not predict placement; however, I'm confident that the Cadets are headed in a very good direction. After one camp together, the percussion is already surprisingly good! And with Tom Aungst at the helm, nothing but good for the corps will come from that. After several rough years, I'm excited about this corps again!

• Like 2

I agree with you. Many of the issues that have caused the Cadets slide in placement are being addressed. The design team has a solid concept and they are not making it up as they go like last year. There is a renewed sense of optimism, and there is a positive energy you can feel in the room! I will not predict placement; however, I'm confident that the Cadets are headed in a very good direction. After one camp together, the percussion is already surprisingly good! And with Tom Aungst at the helm, nothing but good for the corps will come from that. After several rough years, I'm excited about this corps again!

Well I have followed your posts over the past few years so to read this post from you gives me a sense of hope.

Well I have followed your posts over the past few years so to read this post from you gives me a sense of hope.

I understand exactly how you feel. The Cadets have been such a disappointment over recent years that it's very hard to be hopeful. I went to camp last weekend with a ton of doubt and skepticism, but I REALLY liked what I saw and felt! And given the current design team, paired with the staff members who are calling the shots, I'm very confident that this edition of the Cadets will not become derailed.

• Like 2

I understand exactly how you feel. The Cadets have been such a disappointment over recent years that it's very hard to be hopeful. I went to camp last weekend with a ton of doubt and skepticism, but I REALLY liked what I saw and felt! And given the current design team, paired with the staff members who are calling the shots, I'm very confident that this edition of the Cadets will not become derailed.

I credit Tom Aungst with navigating the Cadets in the right direction. Also he is one of a few people on the planet to stand up to Hop as far as design. Tom is stellar with ensemble construction and performance and certainly understands design as well.

I credit Tom Aungst with navigating the Cadets in the right direction. Also he is one of a few people on the planet to stand up to Hop as far as design. Tom is stellar with ensemble construction and performance and certainly understands design as well.

April Gilligan being one of the others.

• Like 2

April Gilligan being one of the others.

I'm still afraid of her and I was a trumpet!

I think the Cadets alumni that teach have more of fear of Hop because they marched under him. This year we have a very large contingency of Cadets alumni returning to teach. (Brass cap head, arranger, percussion, guard and viz techs)...

• Like 2

I'm still afraid of her and I was a trumpet!

I think the Cadets alumni that teach have more of fear of Hop because they marched under him. This year we have a very large contingency of Cadets alumni returning to teach. (Brass cap head, arranger, percussion, guard and viz techs)...

She yelled at me once for tripping over a staged flag during rehearsal in the beginning of the show in 2000 (unfortunately for the guard girl who was yelled at subsequent to that, she learned the hard way the importance of counting). From that day forward, I made sure to avoid that flag pole.

I feel that the acquisition of Tom Aungst by the Cadets is the most undervalued and significant move of this entire off season. I honestly don't believe that any other staff changes in DCI will have the positive affect of this great move by the Cadets.