Cadets 2017

I smile as I hear that whirring of the hype machine ramping up again in this annual ritual. One of these years it's gonna be right. Will 2017 be the year?

No hype machine here. Just commenting on the positive changes at the Cadets and the renewed sense of optimism at camp last weekend. No predictions of competitive success...so what's the problem with some positive energy about the Cadets. Has there not been enough negativity surrounding the Cadets in recent years?

• Like 3

No hype machine here. Just commenting on the positive changes at the Cadets and the renewed sense of optimism at camp last weekend. No predictions of competitive success...so what's the problem with some positive energy about the Cadets. Has there not been enough negativity surrounding the Cadets in recent years?

You were at camp so I'll take your critique versus the usual suspects and their negativity.

I was at camp Sunday (as well as the last camp). I make no prediction about how Cadets will finish, nor do I consider placement the most important aspect of whether it will be a successful season for them. I'm not a fan of hype or boasting. That said, I enjoyed what I heard and saw - and I'm generally a very critical person!

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 1

You were at camp so I'll take your critique versus the usual suspects and their negativity.

heard good stuff myself. anxious to see how things build

• Like 1

I think cautious optimism is what best describes my view on the Cadets this season. The design team needs to find a way to recapture the connection with the audience, and let's be frank, they haven't done that in a few years. The top tier drum corps are starting to distance themselves just a bit from the Cadets in the GE department, which is also evident in the scores and placement. For me, I wouldn't worry about placement this year if I was the Cadets, I would focus on that GE score. Come out with a product that is solid from the start of the season so you don't spend the year teaching rewrites, and focus on adding GE.

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 1

I hope the new leadership convinces George that cheese is not necessary to make a connection with the audience.

And I will add, if there is one thing Clash of the Corps showed is that if you don't first connect with your own kids, then you cannot connect with the audience. The kids have to get it and buy in emotionally. It doesn't work if you just play louder and march faster.

Very excited about Cadets 2017!

• Like 1

I think cautious optimism is what best describes my view on the Cadets this season. The design team needs to find a way to recapture the connection with the audience, and let's be frank, they haven't done that in a few years. The top tier drum corps are starting to distance themselves just a bit from the Cadets in the GE department, which is also evident in the scores and placement. For me, I wouldn't worry about placement this year if I was the Cadets, I would focus on that GE score. Come out with a product that is solid from the start of the season so you don't spend the year teaching rewrites, and focus on adding GE.

Agreed. GE/viz have been a problem for several years. There's a new team in place well aware of the shortcomings plaguing the Cadets. Also, they are looking at competitive placement. It is a competition...

Great observation. I've always thought that if your kids aren't excited about the show, then your fans won't be either. And I too believe its important to get that buy-in right from the beginning. I suspect that we probably won't be seeing as much from Hop during the preseason and the staff might hold the show concept a little tighter to the vest.

I hope the new leadership convinces George that cheese is not necessary to make a connection with the audience.

And I will add, if there is one thing Clash of the Corps showed is that if you don't first connect with your own kids, then you cannot connect with the audience. The kids have to get it and buy in emotionally. It doesn't work if you just play louder and march faster.

Very excited about Cadets 2017!

• Like 1

Great observation. I've always thought that if your kids aren't excited about the show, then your fans won't be either. And I too believe its important to get that buy-in right from the beginning. I suspect that we probably won't be seeing as much from Hop during the preseason and the staff might hold the show concept a little tighter to the vest.

When you saw the Blue Devils marcher tear up about what the "whirlpool" imagery meant to her, and then watched that oh so painful series of Cadets interviews where one marcher after another couldn't tell you what Awakening was about—that sort of summed up the differences for me. I love how George admits that the new theatrical approach is something he's neither familiar nor comfortable with. But he has to trust his new staff to deliver. Aungst is certainly capable.

I suspect that we probably won't be seeing as much from Hop during the preseason and the staff might hold the show concept a little tighter to the vest.

One might consider that some of the new staff only accepted GH hiring request if he spent more time out of the way.