Cadets 2017

FWIW as early as last spring The Cadets new they were having MAJOR visual issues and were trying to rectify it. I don't think things worked out as they had hoped (and I know they were unable to land the Vis. cleaner they were hoping for), but the problem has been known for 6+ months. I'm hoping with summer + fall Cadets were able to find their team and things will improve drastically now that that team will have the entire winter to build their program/fundamentals/basics/etc. It's easy to point to, say, last year's design and right off a lot due to that: but crystal-clean vis execution is a big component (have the Vis. sheets) and with that Cadets could excel in 2017.

We'll find out by June how the new team is working

Yes. What is not mentioned in your keen observation is that for the 2016 season only 2 usual drill techs were on staff last year from the previous seasons. Veteran names like Roche, DeGroff, Falco, Duncan, etc. who usually taught and cleaned the Sacktig drills had moved on elsewhere or had resigned outright when Darryl was chosen. Perhaps this Spring and Summer will see such expertise again, no matter who the techs are.

Yes. What is not mentioned in your keen observation is that for the 2016 season only 2 usual drill techs were on staff last year from the previous seasons. Veteran names like Roche, DeGroff, Falco, Duncan, etc. who usually taught and cleaned the Sacktig drills had moved on elsewhere or had resigned outright when Darryl was chosen. Perhaps this Spring and Summer will see such expertise again, no matter who the techs are.

So in other words, not only did they have a change in designer, but they also had a virtual staff overhaul (for various reasons), as other corps were working with a set staff the entire pre-season through finals?

Regardless of reasoning, and who is to blame, that's a shame that the corps and its members had to go through that.

So in other words, not only did they have a change in designer, but they also had a virtual staff overhaul (for various reasons), as other corps were working with a set staff the entire pre-season through finals?

Regardless of reasoning, and who is to blame, that's a shame that the corps and its members had to go through that.

I agree.

For some the resignations were due to other professional and family obligations so weighing heavily that the change of approach in design prompted a apt time to re-set life.

For others, they warned Hopkins about the challenges of design change, the personnel he had chosen, and other problems but their wisdom, experience, and sage advice went unheeded. That other (and winning units) scooped them up so quickly spoke to the contribution they make. It forewarned the subsequent faculty exodus which followed the season.

For some, it was a little bit of each; it wasn't easy for any of them as they are all Cadet alumni to whom the corps continues to mean alot. None of them has lost my respect nor my friendship. Some continue to hang Cadets recruiting posters in their band rooms and endorse their students' memberships. From what I heard in speaking to those I listed, it was issues among adults not with the kids..If Aungst has the influence some posters are opining, reconciliations may be possible ...in time. He has been through the same.

Edited by xandandl

Other corps have gone through far worse than that...

• Like 1

Other corps have gone through far worse than that...

I realize this, but since I'm in the Cadets thread, and I was responding to a post about the Cadets, I purposely didn't write about other corps. For one, I could spend pages talking about missteps that have occurred in the corps I marched in regards to staff decisions, but again, I'm in a Cadets thread.

It was a disaster beyond what people actually realized. Towards the end of July, viz techs left or were fired, new drill was being taught and new techs were attempting to clean that new drill (more than half the show). It's history now but lessons learned. I think we'll see a more typical Cadets this season after that wake up call. Edited by Tobias
  • Like 2

I think the Cadets will be fine, despite the low turnout of horn vets. I know of a couple kids cut by Boston who have since received callbacks from the Cadets. I am sure they will do whatever it takes to have their act together by June.

It was a disaster beyond what people actually realized. Towards the end of July, viz techs left or were fired, new drill was being taught and new techs were attempting to clean that new drill (more than half the show). It's history now but lessons learned. I think we'll see a more typical Cadets this season after that wake up call.

To be clear, all those I mentioned disengaged with the corps prior to Spring Training. Joe Roche left before Spring Training. Mike Roach was around during winter camps for a short while.

Tobias is correct concerning the replacements both for Spring Training and early summer and those who came mid-summer.

Here;s to the best in 2017.

The horn line is far from as dismal as Craiga's attempt to skew in his typical Boston Crusader homer fashion.

When one charts the comments on this thread from homers from other corps inserting themselves here, there are obvious political agendas at work, not always factual. Summer will sort facts from fiction.

Edited by xandandl

To be clear, all those I mentioned disengaged with the corps prior to Spring Training. Joe Roche left before Spring Training. Mike Roach was around during winter camps for a short while.

Tobias is correct concerning the replacements both for Spring Training and early summer and those who came mid-summer.

Here;s to the best in 2017.

The horn line is far from as dismal as Craiga's attempt to skew in his typical Boston Crusader homer fashion.

When one charts the comments on this thread from homers from other corps inserting themselves here, there are obvious political agendas at work, not always factual. Summer will sort facts from fiction.

Agreed.

Sorry X, I didn't read comments by Craiga as being a "definite political agenda" or giving the impression the Cadets horn line might be dismal. He mentioned facts about two kids that were cut by Boston and getting a chance to march with the Cadets. There was no spin to his comments.

• Like 1