Cadets 2017

Perhaps just a little bit over-sensitive? I've not known craiga to have any "agenda" to make another group look bad...does he bleed boston?...YES!!!!!....but saying he has said cadets horn line is dismal ...is just not true and that is a little over the top IMO...That said...I see the fact that cadets are welcoming other folks that perhaps are not a good fit for boston for whatever the reason as a POSITIVE thing...I wish there were spots somewhere for every student that shows up to audition...

I agree the reaction is a bit over the top. He did seem to imply that scores of Cadets brass were trying to get into BC - it's just not the case.

Edited by George Dixon

Now Lia . you know for sure ( we discussed ) I agree nothing wrong was said BUT if it were in BAC land the backlash ( for nothing bad really said ) would be off the charts with a few.

I thought of that...I try at times to tone down the rhetoric over there in that thread as well for sure...especially because many times I think many posters are not as ill-willed towards the corps as some want you to believe...that said..I do many times even get caught up in my passion towards the corps as well...

• Like 1

I agree the reaction is a bit over the top. He did seem to imply that scores of Cadets brass were trying to get into BC - it's just not the case.

I honestly have no idea one way or the other...I will take you at your word.

I thought of that...I try at times to tone down the rhetoric over there in that thread as well for sure...especially because many times I think many posters are not as ill-willed towards the corps as some want you to believe...that said..I do many times even get caught up in my passion towards the corps as well...

Yup you are right. Funny how these things happen. Passion sometimes really clouds reality at times and has hurt corps often. One can have ( and needs ) passion for what we do BUT need enough of separation to think clearly ( hard to do for many )Anticipation, excitement, rumor, hope , fear of dropping or excelling throw some into dark areas of over hype or under estimating.

Wow! At no time did I imply that there were "scores of Cadets trying to get into Bac"...where did THAT come from??? I have no information whatsoever about where many Cadets vets are going..or not going. I only said that a couple brass players were cut from Boston and got callbacks from Cadets. One of them is a college kid who is a former band student of mine. He texted me as he was at the recent camp in Allentown. It sounds as if Cadets alumni have much greater info on the membership than I do, which is what I would expect. Some folks here apparently need to chill.

• Like 3

I only said that a couple brass players were cut from Boston and got callbacks from Cadets. One of them is a college kid who is a former band student of mine. He texted me as he was at the recent camp in Allentown.

One might surmise that this former band student of yours who has been at a camp or two of the Cadets, might have learned that some brass vets have not returned.

I honestly have no idea one way or the other...I will take you at your word.

a few Cadets are at BC

a decent number of vets are back at Cadets

honestly the brass line still has spots - but a better turn out in December and the holes will be filled easily between now and spring

drumline is full - save one quad

guard won't be set until May but they should have an older more experienced group than last year

there are many multi-year vets in each segment of the corps

also more coming up from C2 than recent years - with a very talented group there to select from

(edit to add - this is all "second hand" but IMO pretty reliable information)

the key to Cadets in 2017 is show design - they will not be limited by member talent and there's enough vets in the mix to help bring the new members into the mix quickly

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 2

Wow! At no time did I imply that there were "scores of Cadets trying to get into Bac"...where did THAT come from??? I have no information whatsoever about where many Cadets vets are going..or not going. I only said that a couple brass players were cut from Boston and got callbacks from Cadets. One of them is a college kid who is a former band student of mine. He texted me as he was at the recent camp in Allentown. It sounds as if Cadets alumni have much greater info on the membership than I do, which is what I would expect. Some folks here apparently need to chill.

you didn't actually "say it" but you did imply that a large number of Cadets couldn't even make the line in BC - implying that many had tried

I hope (and expect) BC to have a very good season - but Cadets are also in a very good spot

A few members obviously follow teachers - it's a relationship thing. It would be surprising if they did not

I believe you when you say that's not your intention, it's just the way the post came across. I'm fine taking you at your word that you didn't mean to imply or suggest that

no worries!

a few Cadets are at BC

a decent number of vets are back at Cadets

honestly the brass line still has spots - but a better turn out in December and the holes will be filled easily between now and spring

drumline is full - save one quad

guard won't be set until May but they should have an older more experienced group than last year

there are many multi-year vets in each segment of the corps

also more coming up from C2 than recent years - with a very talented group there to select from

(edit to add - this is all "second hand" but IMO pretty reliable information)

the key to Cadets in 2017 is show design - they will not be limited by member talent and there's enough vets in the mix to help bring the new members into the mix quickly

Agreed. It will boil down to show design, not MM takent at Cadets as is the case every year.

One might surmise that this former band student of yours who has been at a camp or two of the Cadets, might have learned that some brass vets have not returned.

it's like the 1970s all over again

Pretty sure all these corps will be FULL :)