Cadets 2017

30 minutes ago, xandandl said:

and yet, in the vein of another religious piece, namely David Holsinger's "On a Hymnsong by Philip Bliss" which the Cadets have used for show music ballad as well as encore piece and lot warm-up, etc., I can imaginatively "hear" this piece whether the words are sung or only the tones used.

Maybe they'll do music by David Gillingham. He did a beautiful band setting of "Be Thou My Vision" that could also be sung by a choral group.

Mix it in with "Stained Glass" and you have the music I arranged back in 2007 for the marching band I work with.     :thumbs-up:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

Maybe they'll do music by David Gillingham. He did a beautiful band setting of "Be Thou My Vision" that could also be sung by a choral group.

Mix it in with "Stained Glass" and you have the music I arranged back in 2007 for the marching band I work with.     :thumbs-up:

Love the Slane melody in all it's various iterations. They'll be singing the Gaelic lyrics at my funeral someday.It's a family tradition.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2017 at 0:53 PM, MikeD said:

Rutter has a really nice "Be Thou My Vision" as well. 

15 hours ago, Brass34 said:

Almost a week without a single post in this thread?? Blasphemy 

cf.Tesmusic's last comment on Madison Scouts thread: " Keeping it under wraps for a while."

Evidently word from Washington (Suite C) has media black out here too except for Twitter. Art imitating life.

Edited by xandandl

44 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

today's drum corps zen

interview with 84 Garfield Cadets Barbara Maroney 

then the show itself

Barbara is still the gold standard of mellophone soloists as far as I am concerned. 

• Like 2

On 8/16/2016 at 10:46 PM, StuStu said:

It really grinds my gears when people complain about The Cadets' at retreat. I blame DCI for letting retreat devolve into an unorganized mess.

Cadets are simply doing what they have been doing at retreat for decades. Stand at parade rest and exiting when the field is turned over to the champion.

If kids today don't care for the militaristic look and demeanor, there's plenty of other places to march. But when I was 18 it made me long to be a Cadet, because I thought they were total badasses.

Agreed. The worse thing Cadets can do is deviate from their traditions... then they are just following the crowd. 2016 they could have come out with with a traditional Cadets show, and would have been in 4th but SCV did it and beat them. Stick to your core values, yes modernize where needed and get back in the race. Last year different uniforms, different style, too much change and lost their identity. If you do t respect yourself, neither will judges, crowds or any one else. And wear the traditional colors!