Cadets 2017

17 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Agreed. The worse thing Cadets can do is deviate from their traditions... then they are just following the crowd. 

Not sure I agree with this completely. 

The Cadets are at their best when they take risks and create new traditions and create ripples in what is and isn't possible (allowed?) in the activity. 2005 and 2011 are great examples of breaking with some traditions and creating new ones that paid off. 

I do prefer the Cadets way of handling retreat compared to most others, don't get me wrong. Not what I was really talking about. 

Edited by Lance

32 minutes ago, Tobias said:

Agreed. The worse thing Cadets can do is deviate from their traditions... then they are just following the crowd. 2016 they could have come out with with a traditional Cadets show, and would have been in 4th but SCV did it and beat them. Stick to your core values, yes modernize where needed and get back in the race. Last year different uniforms, different style, too much change and lost their identity. If you do t respect yourself, neither will judges, crowds or any one else. And wear the traditional colors!

You thought last year was a "traditional" SCV show?   IMO it was not -- there's nothing Vanguard-ish about doing a four seasons show.

Anyway I agree with you that Cadets should remain the Cadets.   Then the question becomes "what is it that makes the Cadets, the Cadets?"  Is it the uniform?  Is the all those internal "rules" like two's ? Is it "we work harder than everyone else"?  Is it "faster and more faster" ? Is it.....

n8OeZsP.jpg

Edited by corpsband

1 hour ago, corpsband said:

You thought last year was a "traditional" SCV show?   IMO it was not -- there's nothing Vanguard-ish about doing a four seasons show.

Anyway I agree with you that Cadets should remain the Cadets.   Then the question becomes "what is it that makes the Cadets, the Cadets?"  Is it the uniform?  Is the all those internal "rules" like two's ? Is it "we work harder than everyone else"?  Is it "faster and more faster" ? Is it.....

n8OeZsP.jpg

Now there you go ruining a incisive post by putting Inferno in the background, ha, ha.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tobias said:

Agreed. The worse thing Cadets can do is deviate from their traditions... then they are just following the crowd. 2016 they could have come out with with a traditional Cadets show, and would have been in 4th but SCV did it and beat them. Stick to your core values, yes modernize where needed and get back in the race. Last year different uniforms, different style, too much change and lost their identity. If you do t respect yourself, neither will judges, crowds or any one else. And wear the traditional colors!

I don't understand this. If anybody asked you what one of the most innovative corps in the history of the activity is, you would immediately answer Cadets. They fundamentally altered the activity in a plethora of ways, and each one started out as a wild gamble. Yes, there are things they haven't changed, but does that mean they SHOULD not change? Hop was going to put them in costumes in 2016 but was afraid of the backlash from folks like you-- maybe if the uniforms were more statuesque, they would have been bumped the fraction of the point they needed for 5th, or even 4th. 

Theater and movement ARE the recipe for competitive success in the activity and you know as well as I do.

16 hours ago, Lance said:

Not sure I agree with this completely. 

The Cadets are at their best when they take risks and create new traditions and create ripples in what is and isn't possible (allowed?) in the activity. 2005 and 2011 are great examples of breaking with some traditions and creating new ones that paid off. 

I do prefer the Cadets way of handling retreat compared to most others, don't get me wrong. Not what I was really talking about. 

But they were the Cadets 05, 11 stepping outside their zone BUT they altered uniform color, not eliminated, Marched like Cadets, spun like Cadets, had a drill like Cadets and performed like Cadets.  THATS NOT what we saw last season.  I'm confident the new staff is capable and they'll settle in BUT GH  should not be involved in the design process. Last year he saw an Alvin Ailey dance production and that motivated him to go back and have staff redesign the show. Are you kidding me? The show was so incoherent they changed the title 3 times! You can't operate mom n pop like that in the top grouping which they have even skipping down the past few years. Amazing brass/Percussion totally wasted. 

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, xandandl said:

Now there you go ruining a incisive post by putting Inferno in the background, ha, ha.

I meant they stuck to SCV unis, colors, they had a beautiful drill. You didn't see them rolling all over the ground. Guard spun in big beautiful patterns. They were big, beautiful SCV, not siding down Ramps or running up them. I thought they would beat Bloo in the end but another thread. 

3 hours ago, Tobias said:

But they were the Cadets 05, 11 stepping outside their zone BUT they altered uniform color, not eliminated, Marched like Cadets, spun like Cadets, had a drill like Cadets and performed like Cadets.  THATS NOT what we saw last season.  I'm confident the new staff is capable and they'll settle in BUT GH  should not be involved in the design process. Last year he saw an Alvin Ailey dance production and that motivated him to go back and have staff redesign the show. Are you kidding me? The show was so incoherent they changed the title 3 times! You can't operate mom n pop like that in the top grouping which they have even skipping down the past few years. Amazing brass/Percussion totally wasted. 

Not to be disrespectful but... George needs to concentrate on raising money and leave the show design to the people he hires. Don't want another 2016 anytime soon. As they say, the parade has passed him by and he needs to realize that.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, jonwoody said:

Not to be disrespectful but... George needs to concentrate on raising money and leave the show design to the people he hires. Don't want another 2016 anytime soon. As they say, the parade has passed him by and he needs to realize that.

There were parts of the show musically I liked.  Trombone feature and the french horn feature to name a few, but ge wise the show was awful.   2015 was miles ahead of 2016.  If I were the Cadets staff from 2016 I would have left too.

5 minutes ago, BoaDci said:

There were parts of the show musically I liked.  Trombone feature and the french horn feature to name a few, but ge wise the show was awful.   2015 was miles ahead of 2016.  If I were the Cadets staff from 2016 I would have left too.

I also enjoyed those 2 parts of the show. But  after the first show I got this pain in the pit of my stomach and said to myself it is going to be a long, hard season. I think they got a little shafted during finals but 6th is not the end of the world. Just hope something is learned from the whole season.

1 hour ago, BoaDci said:

Stop.

Not really politically motivated, but arguably factual. That was a strong Cadets show with no weak links between brass, percussion and guard, and aspirational in the sense that patriots of all political persuasion could get behind the message.