Cadets 2017

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

I'm happy with most things, Tobias. I merely pointed out what I believe was a real uncalled for shot at this kid, thats all. 

Well I didn't see it as a "shot at this kid" for what that's worth

It sort of was a "it is what it is" comment/example. Nothing personal, no name, nothing insulting. So I don't get your reaction.

But hey - we all get to have our opinions.

6 minutes ago, Tobias said:

I think we'll see lots of changes. Probably see 1-2 fall out of top 3 and 1 out of top 6. Not because of any corps getting worse, just all corps getting better and more competitive. The time of speculation is coming to an end as ST is about to begin and the season is almost upon us. BAC will surely be the most improved corps of the new season for sure!

Keen competition on the field, with potentially more Corps involved is a welcome " change ", imo. We say how much we like to see " change ", well perhaps we'll get some competition change like we have not seen in some time.. up and down the ladder of DCI too. Thats something to celebrate and embrace, imo... and my sense is that most fans in Drum Corps think so too, Tobias.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

yup - they have more talent this year but as you realize, it takes a couple years to regain the "top talent" destination and hopefully a higher placement this year will build some momentum. 

Hmmm, yes and no. I think the guard kids are all pretty talented especially with the WGI involvement all winter so coming into ST, they're pretty primed and ready to go. I think the "book" is the most important. I think the hardest section to build is percussion. 

2 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Keen competition on the field, with potentially more Corps involved is a welcome " change ", imo. We say how much we like to see " change ", well perhaps we'll get some competition change like we have not seen in some time.. up and down the ladder of DCI too. Thats something to celebrate and embrace, imo... and my sense is that most fans in Drum Corps think so too, Tobias.

Agreed. 

Just now, Tobias said:

Hmmm, yes and no. I think the guard kids are all pretty talented especially with the WGI involvement all winter so coming into ST, they're pretty primed and ready to go. I think the "book" is the most important. I think the hardest section to build is percussion. 

Last year's guard was younger and a little less experienced - especially in dance. More a lack of experience thing than a lack of potential. 

21 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Well I didn't see it as a "shot at this kid" for what that's worth

It sort of was a "it is what it is" comment/example. Nothing personal, no name, nothing insulting. So I don't get your reaction.

But hey - we all get to have our opinions.

I suppose if it was several marchers, then the 1 kid is not singled out. But he is now. For example, I know who the kid is, George. But I did not know that he was an " alternate " at CC, nor that he " never saw the field there at CC " in his role there as " an alternate ". But I do now. But yet its none of my business. I don't think less of him, because this single marcher was shamelessly and publically called out here on DCP for " never seeing the field at CC " during his time there. But that role of his there at CC is his private business. Not for the Drum Corps Planet world to become aware of without his expressed permission. He is not a public official. He is not a staffer. He's a kid.  This information on the role this marcher played at CC is none of our business.... but regrettably, it is now. Thats not right. Not to my way of thinking anyway. But... I expressed my opinion on it... others theirs... and now you too. Thats fine. We move on, unless others here feel the need to further chime in about this kid's privacy of if they believe its ok to do stuff like this here on DCP moving forward.

Edited by BRASSO

Just now, BRASSO said:

I suppose if it was several marchers, then the 1 kid is not singled out. But he is now. For example, I know who the kid. But I did not know that he was an " alternate " at CC, nor that he " never saw the field there at CC ". But I do now. But yet its none of my business. I don't think less of him, because this single marcher was publically called out here on DCP for " never seeing the field at CC " during his time there. But that role of his there at CC is his private business. Not for the Drum Corps Planet world to become aware of without his expressed permission. He is not a public official. He is not a staffer.  This information on the role this marcher played at CC is none of our business.... but regrettably, it is now. Thats not right. Not to my way of thinking anyway. But... I expressed my opinion on it... others theirs... and now you too.

You know, I have no idea who this is referring to. So is this something that would make you act or feel differently in any manner impacting the member? Nope I would think not. If anything the reaction should be "wow, what growth!!" "great job!" "congratulations"

38 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

You know, I have no idea who this is referring to. So is this something that would make you act or feel differently in any manner impacting the member? Nope I would think not. If anything the reaction should be "wow, what growth!!" "great job!" "congratulations"

But I believe you miss the point. How we react to being provided private information about someone else.. a kid here in this case.. should not be the focus, imo. Whether we react with a shrug or are happy to receive that private info is beside the point. We should not be provided that opportunity to judge such private info, as that info is squarely in the domain of that kid alone, imo. Its a very slippery slope we could be on, if we allow private info like this on a marcher who left a Corps to become public information. its none of our business. its up to the individual kid ( or Parent ) alone to tell us such info that he " never saw the field " while he was at Crown. I'm surprised that apparently a couple of posters here here don't see how this crosses the line. But in a day and age when people's right to privacy is increasingly being given away with not much thought, perhaps I should not be all that surprised. The fact we don't have the kid's name is beside the point too here . Also, ironically, we are having this discussion on the need for personal privacy in a time when the adults in these Corps themselves are jumping thru all sorts of hoops now to protect their OWN  Corps information on the role they'll play this summer that they do not want divulged to the public except on their own terms.

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

yup - they have more talent this year but as you realize, it takes a couple years to regain the "top talent" destination and hopefully a higher placement this year will build some momentum. 

It's 90% about the writing a good book and the ability to clean. Not the talent. If cadets have a radically improved and more varied /interesting written book their guard will be competitive. If not, it does not matter how talented the guard is ......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCI-86 said:

It's 90% about the writing a good book and the ability to clean. Not the talent. If cadets have a radically improved and more varied /interesting written book their guard will be competitive. If not, it does not matter how talented the guard is ......

Totally agreed other than "90%" might be a tad high. Good design is critical for sure but work ethic, good rehearsal technique and ability/skill/etc is necessary to bring that great design to life. 

Edited by George Dixon