Cadets 2017

12 hours ago, FTNK said:

Far and away my favorite music book of the year. Choir is the best use of voice ever in DCI. Quality of guard is immediately apparent. 

3 critiques:

They don't use the stained glass panel props much, though I bet they are going to use them more and more and esp in the closer. Are they backlit? If not that might be a good idea--put lights on the back so they seem to glow. They sometimes seem to be doing that, but it's not clear if it's just the stadium lights. The quality of the printing is evident, partnering with that tarp company was a good move. 

The narration between pieces could be more subtle. The part before the "forgiven" section is the worst and also the first time we've heard a woman's voice in the narration, 2/3 through the show, so it's not quite clear what's going on in the "plot" 

I think the skirts need to come off before Agnus Dei for the drill to be clear

Ending costumes need something to give the waist definition, right now they are "onsies"

I guess it's an odd-numbered year after all! 

Loved your critique comments.  I'm sure those stain glass props will do more than just sit back there.  As I was watching a recent ensemble run through; during the beginning of the Forgiven section and the chorus ends with that beautiful Amen I can picture alumni yelling out during this section of Cadets show "Holy Name".  Simply beautiful!!  So much of this show connects Cadets with their history, their alumni, and their rich tradition.  Yes I agree.....it's an odd-numbered year!

Fan of the Arts

• Like 2

10 hours ago, George Dixon said:

wow you're a "dinosaur" - that's what they call us old fogies who "hate" anything modern lol

I love the vocals in THIS case. So many times - Cadets and others - they are just terrible

Correct George. Cadets got nailed for horrid vocals in the past but credit is due when they get it right. This overall show is getting it right in many areas. 

Edited by Tobias
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

The choir is fabulous.  Best vocals this year hands down. 

I agree with a comment someone else said; you have to give credit where credit is due and Cadets got it right with their choir.

Fan of the Arts

Edited by Fan of the Arts
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, FTNK said:

Far and away my favorite music book of the year. Choir is the best use of voice ever in DCI. Quality of guard is immediately apparent. 

3 critiques:

They don't use the stained glass panel props much, though I bet they are going to use them more and more and esp in the closer. Are they backlit? If not that might be a good idea--put lights on the back so they seem to glow. They sometimes seem to be doing that, but it's not clear if it's just the stadium lights. The quality of the printing is evident, partnering with that tarp company was a good move. 

The narration between pieces could be more subtle. The part before the "forgiven" section is the worst and also the first time we've heard a woman's voice in the narration, 2/3 through the show, so it's not quite clear what's going on in the "plot" 

I think the skirts need to come off before Agnus Dei for the drill to be clear

Ending costumes need something to give the waist definition, right now they are "onsies"

I guess it's an odd-numbered year after all! 

You've just become my new best friend. 

11 hours ago, Fan of the Arts said:

You may not be 100% sold but you sure sound like you're close.  Oh what the hell, take the plunge.

Fan of the Arts

I'm waiting for Cadets to push me over the edge before I take any plunges. 

1 hour ago, chaddyt said:

I'm with Tekk on the not-quite-sold-yet.  For whatever reason, the first few viewings of the show left an extremely bad taste in my mouth.  But stranger things have certainly happened throughout the course of a drum corps season and hopefully, once the memory of the initial perception begins to fade (and they continue to refine the show), I too will see the light.

Perhaps I'll get a better feeling when I see them live. But for right now, I'm still on the fence. However, I am impressed with the progress they clearly appear to be making. It think the end of the first piece (or is it the second piece) should end with a loud chord instead of 5 quarter notes and 2 eighth notes.  Keep going up Cadets. 

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Like 1

As noted before, ensemble started early last night because the corps was ready. Very disciplined and focused rehearsal.

A lot of work on projection to the box/stands, energy, characterization, communication of intent, etc; staff seemed pleased with the response.

Hornline asked to clarify and play with energy even at softer dynamic levels. 

Drumline seemed to be having some issues, although as a horn player, it is extremely hard for me to pick them out. At one point, the staff member asked if the part needed watered down, a challenge, no doubt, but not sure if this is normal. The staff member later encouraged the line in saying that they were 'building strength' even though the line was not as clean as needed.

Positive comments from others echoed on the guard, music, vocals, etc. The show seems cohesive and relatively easy to understand, even for those who are not familiar with the source.

I don't know why they have the backfield 'rose windows,' unless it is simply for a backdrop. It would take some major rewrites to include these in the show at a later point, I think?

I like the church pews.

Electronics too loud at the beginning. Can't hear the solo snare at all except for rimshots, likewise the entire drumline at the build to the invocation. Hopefully a GE judge or Percussion 2 judge addresses this in critique at some point. Otherwise, the effects are okay.

At this point, I see the show maxing at fourth, although fifth would probably be more realistic and sixth not a come-down, given the quality of the corps in the the top 6 range. Falling out of top 6 would be a real surprise to me, although I have not seen the other corps. I think they have a more compelling product than Crown, although I have not seen Crown live. Execution and energy will decide the issues.

Thanks, Cadets.

13 hours ago, FTNK said:

I thought it was fine plotwise - it is the 'Confiteor' which transitions between the 'fallen' and the 'forgiven.' I do think that for the transition to work there may have to be some visual references to confession and forgiveness (kneeling, laying on of hands?) I will look again tonight to see what is going on there.

It would be nice if the pit could be more visually integrated in the show - as it is, it looks messy up there, although with a bunch of water jugs on the sideline, this may have been simply a rehearsal issue. Again, I will look this evening.

8 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

As noted before, ensemble started early last night because the corps was ready. Very disciplined and focused rehearsal.

A lot of work on projection to the box/stands, energy, characterization, communication of intent, etc; staff seemed pleased with the response.

Hornline asked to clarify and play with energy even at softer dynamic levels. 

Drumline seemed to be having some issues, although as a horn player, it is extremely hard for me to pick them out. At one point, the staff member asked if the part needed watered down, a challenge, no doubt, but not sure if this is normal. The staff member later encouraged the line in saying that they were 'building strength' even though the line was not as clean as needed.

Positive comments from others echoed on the guard, music, vocals, etc. The show seems cohesive and relatively easy to understand, even for those who are not familiar with the source.

I don't know why they have the backfield 'rose windows,' unless it is simply for a backdrop. It would take some major rewrites to include these in the show at a later point, I think?

I like the church pews.

Electronics too loud at the beginning. Can't hear the solo snare at all except for rimshots, likewise the entire drumline at the build to the invocation. Hopefully a GE judge or Percussion 2 judge addresses this in critique at some point. Otherwise, the effects are okay.

At this point, I see the show maxing at fourth, although fifth would probably be more realistic and sixth not a come-down, given the quality of the corps in the the top 6 range. Falling out of top 6 would be a real surprise to me, although I have not seen the other corps. I think they have a more compelling product than Crown, although I have not seen Crown live. Execution and energy will decide the issues.

Thanks, Cadets.

Remember the last time they included large props that were integrated into the show....(2013, cough cough)...

On another note, is what they're playing now at the end of this show the actual ending? Probably been answered already but I didn't hear about it.

14 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

I thought it was fine plotwise - it is the 'Confiteor' which transitions between the 'fallen' and the 'forgiven.' I do think that for the transition to work there may have to be some visual references to confession and forgiveness (kneeling, laying on of hands?) I will look again tonight to see what is going on there.

It would be nice if the pit could be more visually integrated in the show - as it is, it looks messy up there, although with a bunch of water jugs on the sideline, this may have been simply a rehearsal issue. Again, I will look this evening.

They have one of the choir members "confessing" at that particular transition in the show and that coincides with members shedding their costumes to the "pure white" ending costume. As many on here have mentioned with respect to blatant vs sutble not to overdo it, I think the transition is well constructed. 

Edited by Tobias

18 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

Remember the last time they included large props that were integrated into the show....(2013, cough cough)...

On another note, is what they're playing now at the end of this show the actual ending? Probably been answered already but I didn't hear about it.

No, there's a tag they have and will continue to work on for the next couple days. It's supposed to be in around Orlando.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

There is music and drill in the works for the new ending.  Supposedly done by July 6.  Don't know when they will put it on the field. 

Fan of the Arts