Cadets 2017

I was at the show tonight - really enjoyed the performance. On one side of us was a couple who had never been to a drum corps event before, and they were just blown away by Cadets and Blue Devils. Nice to see people who had no preconceptions so taken by the show. On the other side of us was even more interesting. It was an older gentleman who said he had been following The Cadets for years, had seen one of the early season shows, was completely unimpressed, down on the robes, down on the sound, etc. When The Cadets hit the New and improved closer, he was totally won over. 

My own impression was that this was the first night of the shows I have seen this season (and it has been a lot both on the web and in person) that The Cadets stood up to the leaders both in terms of the sound and in the overall show.  Very encouraging to see, and there is still a good deal of upside. I don't see them catching the Cavs (although stranger things have happened), but I'm starting to feel like they have a better than 50/50 shot to finish ahead of Crusaders. 

On a side note - Blue Devils are really cranking it up, and I don't know how SCV can catch them. In fact, although the scores aren't showing it, the only corps I see with a chance of standing up to BD is Bluecoats.

Edited by Icer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

I know. Tom needs to eat his Wheaties and get crackin

If anyone can do it that guy can!

Won't matter - has nothing to do with music being too hard.  Battery is the one of the best in recent memory. They are playing their ***** off.  The problem is their placement on the field.  They are behind the back hash for a good portion of the show.  Now that the sound system is being use to amplify the voices and other sound even more, the battery can't even hope to compete with that volume from where they are located. All the other top 6 corps bring their battery to front sideline multiple times in their shows to highlight them.  Cadets park them in the back of the field and expect them to compete with amplified sound of voices, brass, and pit.  They should either be moved to the front, especially during the closer when you can't hear them at all or they should be mic'd and balanced with the ensemble.  Must be frustrating to be a battery member this year, have great music to play, and not getting credit because of drill location, priority on voices to the detriment of the entire percussion section, and sound management. Has to be frustrating for Tom too.

7 hours ago, George Dixon said:

it's a good guard but they need to "hit their dots" -- a huge April thing from what I remember. They are not hitting their dots and they spin/dance better than they "march" at times IMO

They also need to get the opening flag work together. Been dirty for months and not really getting any cleaner. Also I noticed they still have a guard hole?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nafstedac said:

Yeah not sure whats up with the Percussion score. Loads of talent, great writing, :maybe we need to mic the drums :lle:

I am no drum expert at all but it strikes me that Cadet's percussion plays a lot less than many other corps and is staged wayyyy back field. Maybe this is the issue? 

Edited by DCI-86
  • Like 1

I wonder if it's the battery or the pit that is having a bigger impact on the low percussion scoring. In terms of battery staging, it was a similar issue in 2014, and that section ended up 4th (if I recall). I think the battery chops and writing are awesome this year, btw.

20 hours ago, Tobias said:

Don't get me excited! 

ohohohohohohhoh my god.. ohohohohoh  ..ohohohhohoh.. too late.:whistle::wink:

19 hours ago, George Dixon said:

Lancaster Church Bells!

ala 2011 :inlove:

Dear God,

Please no cheese. . Pretty please no cheese.:wub:

3 hours ago, DCI-86 said:

I am no drum expert at all but it strikes me that Cadet's percussion plays a lot less than many other corps and is staged wayyyy back field. Maybe this is the issue? 

I watch the pit and find the sleeves on the robes to make everything look sloppy. Maybe that is an issue but sort of too late for that now. Maybe skin tight tights with a big cross on them would help lol.

Edited by jonwoody
spelling error..ugh.

Just now, jonwoody said:

I watch the pit and find the sleeves on the robes to make everything look sloppy. Maybe that is an issue but sort of too late for that now. Maybe skim tight tights with a big cross on them would help lol.

Wait...Would that be considered cheese???:laughing:

1 hour ago, jonwoody said:

I watch the pit and find the sleeves on the robes to make everything look sloppy. Maybe that is an issue but sort of too late for that now. Maybe skin tight tights with a big cross on them would help lol.

They could at least reduce the amount of fabric around the arms, so the "look" is uniform, but it's not so cluttered.

5 hours ago, DCI-86 said:

The latter..