Cadets 2017

Congrats to the Cadets on a great season and really making this show work as the season went on! It gives me chills now and I finally see what others were talking about. Despite the negativity on here from supporters towards the staff, the judges and towards other corps, the kids are out there busting their butts off and the results are amazing to watch!  Looking forward to two more nights of performances from the Cadets and from my Crusaders. Cheers to you all!

Edited by Den8uml
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, George Dixon said:

So - saw the run tonight. I honestly don't get the scoring. Regiment brass beat Cadets brass? Cadets in 8th in drums? 

Personally felt the show should be over a 94 and is being dramatically underscored

But - that said - I also feel several corps are out of order, BD should be at least a full point ahead of SCV, and Cavaliers shouldn't be in the neighborhood of Coats

So, apparently what do I know. Personally feel Regiment and BK should be above Crusaders - and Cadets in sixth 

Honestly feel the scoring is becoming more ridiculous the past few seasons. And then we watch the scoring and we all start buying into it as "truth"

But then what do I know.

Catching up from last night. I'm a long time DCP reader, but an infrequent poster.

I agree with you, George. I'm scratching my head over their scoring and placement. I've been following The Cadets (among others) very closely this year. I have no personal connection to Cadets except that they are the corps that initially got me interested in drum corps as a young lad. Saw the show in the theatre last night and it blew me away. I was engaged the entire time. It was one of the few shows that I felt ended too quickly! The changes they've made over the last several weeks have really helped. 

• Like 2

I was not a fan of The Cadets this season. I was disappointed in the staff, frustrated for the members, and scared for the activity. I watched them tonight and FINALLY became a fan again. I'm glad to stand corrected. They came late to the party, but at least they're here.

But the designers should still be flogged for not having a much better process. "Trust the process," George says. I'll trust it when you have one. If there were actually a trustworthy process they would've employed it far sooner. What we saw this season was trial and error, not the execution of a well crafted plan. Performers and audiences alike deserve better than to watch you try to decide what a show is going to be. 

The members should be proud of themselves. They persevered through a poorly planned season and still fought to be genuine in a risky context. The show will be fine in the end.  But the designers should be ashamed for squandering so many performance opportunities by being unprepared. I'm honestly shocked that the team that couldn't decide what to do for months and months came up with anything as cohesive as last night's production. Perhaps it was Michael Lentz, maybe there was a last minute epiphany, or sometimes that blind squirrel just finds a nut.

The faithful were rewarded. The fallen were pardoned. But I can't bring myself to forgive the sins of those who should've done better. Anyway, I'm glad the fans and members got what they want in the end.

Thus ends this sermon. Go in peace. 

• Like 1

I'm totally engaged and impressed watching this Cadets production.  However, early impressions of judges and audience are very difficult to change. Cadets were already typecast as a struggling actor before the season even started.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, George Dixon said:

So - saw the run tonight. I honestly don't get the scoring. Regiment brass beat Cadets brass? Cadets in 8th in drums? 

Personally felt the show should be over a 94 and is being dramatically underscored

But - that said - I also feel several corps are out of order, BD should be at least a full point ahead of SCV, and Cavaliers shouldn't be in the neighborhood of Coats

So, apparently what do I know. Personally feel Regiment and BK should be above Crusaders - and Cadets in sixth 

Honestly feel the scoring is becoming more ridiculous the past few seasons. And then we watch the scoring and we all start buying into it as "truth"

But then what do I know.

piggybacking on your "but then what do I know", it seems to me that fantasy and pop culture have become predominant in DCI such that the shows start resembling each other..particularly the openings..that's why I enjoy the Cadets and BD..If I never see a blooming flower or a waking from sleep scene again in drum corps, I'll be fine..but then again , what do I know 

12 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

I'm totally engaged and impressed watching this Cadets production.  However, early impressions of judges and audience are very difficult to change. Cadets were already typecast as a struggling actor before the season even started.

It's a head-scratcher to me too.  I believe the Cadets show this year is THE MOST UNDERRATED. There's so much that this show conveys in just 12 short minutes.   The sites, sounds, and pageantry is beyond reproach. I suppose there are legitimate reasons why judges are placing them where they are.  But, as a fan, I will place this show at the top of my viewing choices when my Blu Ray arrives later this year.  The members and the design team have done an incredible job.

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

^^^^^^^ #truth