Cadets 2017

I'm from the Bay Area and and support primarily our Bay Area corps (SCV, BD).  But reading this and seeing the angst that some alumni are expressing made me think that a reply to this topic might be in order.

From my perspective, The Cadets are absolutely awesome this year.  I know the judges aren't giving them a lot of love, but the audience sure is.  I think of all the shows this year the mass that the Cadets are doing is the show I will remember the most from this season.  It is really good IMO and I hope that the judges will come to the same conclusion on Saturday. So don't get too worried on this stuff.  Your corps is really incredible this year.  Nothing you can do to force the judges to change their mind.

• Like 7

I personally give the kids a  Standing Ovation for their hard work, persistence, and giving me a show I will remember for a long time. They have shown me how exceptionally talented they are and gives a glimpse of how much they will learn and grow from this years experience. Someday the judging community will stop with the slotting and actually give corps the credit they are due. The Cadets are not alone in feeling their wrath for whatever reason. Bravo Cadets!!! No matter what the results are tonight, you are all champs in my eyes simply because you have shown us all how hard work rewards those who wait.:cheer::thumbs-up::worthy::bighug::grouphug:

• Like 7

The only change I'd make for tonight if it was my call is to take the narration out just before the company front. I thought it was a momentum killer. The music was building so nicely and then it stopped and narration. Put the text "The Mass has ended...go in peace" back where it was (just before the vocal amen) and keep the music driving into the company front. 

Enjoyed them so much last night. Balances with the vocals were perhaps a little hot (too much microphone input). Dial it back just a pinch there. I know BK moved to within striking distance of the Cadets, but a solid performance tonight to end that. Cadets have a way better show and better GE. BK definitely has a fantastic brass line, but music construction is too choppy for my taste.  I think Cadets will nail it tonight. Hope so. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tony L. said:

Oh, one final comment about the show.  I feel they would pick up about .5 by simply cutting that insipid "Can I get an Amen!" line.  At that point the sinning has insued, so a token throw away line that is somehow supposed to invoke a Southern African American church element really just does not work on soooooo many levels.  Worst element of the show in my opinion.

let us not forget half naked Jesus!!..Why?

• Like 1

I love this year's Cadets show. By far my favourite and one of 2 that I have watched over and over (the other being SCV). It sounds like the members have had a fantastic experience and love their show so what more can you ask for?  Getting too caught up in what a few people in green think is only going to lead to disappointment. Yes I know it's a competition but it's the experience and memories that last not the score. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bayareafan said:

I'm from the Bay Area and and support primarily our Bay Area corps (SCV, BD).  But reading this and seeing the angst that some alumni are expressing made me think that a reply to this topic might be in order.

From my perspective, The Cadets are absolutely awesome this year.  I know the judges aren't giving them a lot of love, but the audience sure is.  I think of all the shows this year the mass that the Cadets are doing is the show I will remember the most from this season.  It is really good IMO and I hope that the judges will come to the same conclusion on Saturday. So don't get too worried on this stuff.  Your corps is really incredible this year.  Nothing you can do to force the judges to change their mind.

Agreed 100%. Only Cadets can bring the emotions to me that they do. 

7 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

He's in timeout.  

No matter what anyone's opinion is of the show, the kids are working their tails off and deserve our respect.   They have mine. 

It's been said many times before, but you are my favorite poster on here. Wish DCP was more positive towards everyone, there are many others but you are the most kind hearted, almost like all the kids are your own LOL!... after all..SOMEHOW, kids show up as members of all these corps every year proud and unapologetic of what they produce on the field every day. Anyway, great job Cadets.. amazing work. Y'all have a big fan. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, johnpendell said:

It's been said many times before, but you are my favorite poster on here. Wish DCP was more positive towards everyone, there are many others but you are the most kind hearted, almost like all the kids are your own LOL!... after all..SOMEHOW, kids show up as members of all these corps every year proud and unapologetic of what they produce on the field every day. Anyway, great job Cadets.. amazing work. Y'all have a big fan. 

If I could, I would hug them all. The only reason I'm still here is my love and respect for the marching members....every single one of them.  

• Like 2

The crowd went nuts for the Amen chords at the end of the show. So nuts that I could barely hear them and they were loud and beautiful.

22 hours ago, George Dixon said:

this isn't a surprise - Cadets booked it for Thursday/Friday/Saturday right after last years finals when they first used it

Boston grabbed the Tuesday/Wednesday and are using outside fields the other 3 days when Cadets have the inside facility

there are some "connections" between the two corps so...

Hop mentioned in his FB live video that he was already approached about next year (the Cadet agreement gives them first dibs) but now suddenly the price is going UP because of the mini "bidding war"

No surprise. It's not he's never offered more money to get into a spot someone else had. With school in session out there, finding good places is key...... and not cheap