Cadets 2017

22 hours ago, George Dixon said:

he will be starting next week!

Maybe. There talent there has years of experience in DCA and knows how to get it. Rich knows DCA better than most alive 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

No doubt WSS is one of the great musicals of all time, but Cadets did a wonderful job with it in 2009. I'd prefer to see Cadets look at "On The Waterfront" as others have mentioned. Maybe look at "Chichester Psalms."  "On The Town" would be playful and has many style changes and moods that would perfectly fit the drum corps model. Perhaps even a show that included a little "Slava" or "Candide" would be neat. 

Kaddish 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

People are beginning to not care anymore. If things don't change, soon, there are going to be a fundamental, long lasting impact that will be very hard to reverse.

So true. Cadets' place as a leader in this activity will be truly over once people stop talking about it being over. 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2017 at 10:23 AM, MikeRapp said:

Mass was a stupid decision for today's drum corps on almost every level. There, I said it.

Do Rent

I've got nothing, folks.

On 8/11/2017 at 10:23 AM, MikeRapp said:

Intentionally choosing a show concept that fundamentally polarized almost everyone... is so stupid that I can't believe it ever even got suggested without someone getting thrown out of the room.

05_14_2012_93_star.jpg

• Like 1

The Jesus Christ Superstar repackaging Madison attempted last year should have served as a warning for GH this year.  Reperforming Mass, even if substantially different (as it was, and as JSS was for Madison), will naturally be compared nostalgically to its successful predecessor, and will come up short in the comparison.  This makes me nervous about 2018 and more Bernstein.

11 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

The Jesus Christ Superstar repackaging Madison attempted last year should have served as a warning for GH this year.  Reperforming Mass, even if substantially different (as it was, and as JSS was for Madison), will naturally be compared nostalgically to its successful predecessor, and will come up short in the comparison.  This makes me nervous about 2018 and more Bernstein.

The problem with Madison's show last year is that it wasn't substantially different from 1999, especially from a musical standpoint. The designers couldn't decide if Judas was supposed to be a rehash of 1999, or if they wanted to do something new with the material. There are several passages in that show where the brass book literally sounds like it was 1999's book transposed for Bb instruments, interspersed with moments that fit in more naturally to the modern soundscape of drum corps. As a result the show lost focus and crashed in Indy.

The Cadets this year made no debate whatsoever on the matter. This is so immensely different from any other time they've played Mass. It's a new take on the material, both musically and visually, and as a result it is a lot more difficult to compare it directly to 1983 or any other year Mass was used.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

The problem with Madison's show last year is that it wasn't substantially different from 1999, especially from a musical standpoint. The designers couldn't decide if Judas was supposed to be a rehash of 1999, or if they wanted to do something new with the material. There are several passages in that show where the brass book literally sounds like it was 1999's book transposed for Bb instruments, interspersed with moments that fit in more naturally to the modern soundscape of drum corps. As a result the show lost focus and crashed in Indy.

The Cadets this year made no debate whatsoever on the matter. This is so immensely different from any other time they've played Mass. It's a new take on the material, both musically and visually, and as a result it is a lot more difficult to compare it directly to 1983 or any other year Mass was used.

The problem with last year's show is it was sloppy. The show story line was an issue, but in the end Scouts just weren't very good as a marching corps.

1 hour ago, MotoSurfBass said:

I agree. To me, this year's Cadets version of Mass is far better and more creative than 1983 or 1990.  No, the Cadets do not have quite the experience of the 83 or 90 corps, but 83 and 90 were what I refer to as symphonic portraits of the music. The 2017 corps is doing a full theatrical version of Mass.  It took them a while, but they have basically found the right mix of elements to make this show purr.  It's not perfect and there are still little things here and there that I would nix to improve effect and lesson the cheese; but at this point all we can hope for is the MMs having a blast with it and putting on a killer show tonight. 

I feel the same about my hometown Bluecoats. The show is a stunner, IMO, and has thrilled audiences everywhere; but they just couldn't get it clean and fine-tune a few things to get the judges to buy in. That's ok. The crowd has bought in.  The Cadets are experiencing the same thing -- they are finishing strong and the crowd is buying in. That's a much bigger compliment than score.  By the way, I think Cadets look very clean. Marching is very strong compared to early season.  Great work by all the marching members. 

• Like 1