SCV 2017 - 50 Years of Class

1 hour ago, Lance said:

But seriously, a snake eating its own tail is a symbol of eternity, right?

In real life, if a snake eats its own tail, that means its environment is super hot, and because snakes are cold-blooded and therefore adapt to their surroundings, it becomes super hungry, eating the first thing(s) it sees, which often ends up being its own tail.

Remember that once we get into the Texas/Southeast part of tour. :)

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

In real life, if a snake eats its own tail, that means its environment is super hot, and because snakes are cold-blooded and therefore adapt to their surroundings, it becomes super hungry, eating the first thing(s) it sees, which often ends up being its own tail.

Remember that once we get into the Texas/Southeast part of tour. :)

oh that's cold.

• Like 1

On another note... How did SCV get the rights to Melillo's "Wait of the World?" According to this list from CopyCat Licensing from back in 2007, Melillo has not allowed that piece to be arranged for the marching arts. Knowing that he is an independent publisher, maybe he had personally allowed it because it was a special year for SCV?

http://web.archive.org/web/20070218085255/www.copycatlicensing.com/difficult_songs.htm

2 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

On another note... How did SCV get the rights to Melillo's "Wait of the World?" According to this list from CopyCat Licensing from back in 2007, Melillo has not allowed that piece to be arranged for the marching arts. Knowing that he is an independent publisher, maybe he had personally allowed it because it was a special year for SCV?

http://web.archive.org/web/20070218085255/www.copycatlicensing.com/difficult_songs.htm

I note the Charles Ives restrictions. I guess that leaves out Star of Indiana who snuck some in with their Charles Gould.

14 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Glad to see Melillo being played more.  His stuff was pretty good but he went cray-cray on his licensing terms.    

26 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

It just goes to show that these lists aren't an absolute.  I obviously don't know the details, but maybe SCV sought permission a year or so in advance and got Melillo's input on the scoring?

Edited by jjeffeory

I wonder if we'll get some vintage SCV follow the leader drill for any stretches in this show. You know...very serpent-like but a nod to their past. For example the end of The Canyon in the '99 show.

• Like 3

Is the first bit of this show  "Interplay for Piano Four Hands and Orchestra", David Gillingham?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

Oh, that's so '85 & '86. ( I am so kidding).  

Wait, they only shedded the bottom portion of their "skin" back then! It's ok, that would be a new idea, so we are still moving forward... <snarkily connecting to a previous post I made today>

serveimage?url=http:%2F%2F31.media.tumblr.com%2Fba81f4e71791e3dc7d610724f0348f20%2Ftumblr_n34z8vYvk21qd1egho1_250.gif&sp=924bb7ef04eab06408b54c12b4f07f12

I was just thinking this when "shedding skin" was mentioned, as I'm "The Last Man" at the end of the line in this shot to go in and out of that Tunnel of Doom...I was cutting it reaaaally close most of the time. 

• Like 4

I meant to add...my son is in his second year at SCVC and they are doing the same physical conditioning regimen the A-corps is doing; it is unlike anything both A or C have ever seen. When he described it to me my first thought was they were trying to convert the kids into super athletes first who happen to play instruments and equipment instead of super musicians and performers who are called upon to do athletic stuff. 

• Like 2