The Cavaliers 2017

I heard some real power Wed night that I don't think I heard last week at Tour Premier.

The closer still is a bit of letdown for me. The sound seems to weaken for it, and the recorded singing keeps going all the way through it. Still open to seeing how this develops. Right now, I just can't imagine what the thinking is behind closing out this gutsy, fun, athletic show with such a wonderful piece of music when you rely on a recorded vocal and not solely on those guys' chops.

Edited by mjoakes
grammer
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Right now, I just can't imagine what the thinking is behind closing out this gutsy, fun, athletic show with such a wonderful piece of music when you rely on a recorded vocal and not solely on those guys' chops.

Well, if you haven't noticed over the last, well, 50 years, rarely does the ending of any show of any corps that we see in mid-June makes it in the show come Saturday at Finals. 

..... patience young Jedi. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mjoakes said:

I heard some real power Wed night that I don't think I heard last week at Tour Premier.

The closer still is a bit of letdown for me. The sound seems to weaken for it, and the recorded singing keeps going all the way through it. Still open to seeing how this develops. Right now, I just can't imagine what the thinking is behind closing out this gutsy, fun, athletic show with such a wonderful piece of music when you rely on a recorded vocal and not solely on those guys' chops.

I agree with that, it's one of the worse uses of electronics ever

let them play and not as a back up band to a recording, its a huge GE killer

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, cowtown said:

I agree with that, it's one of the worse uses of electronics ever

let them play and not as a back up band to a recording, its a huge GE killer

Amen!  Yes!

6 hours ago, dc oldtimer said:

Well, if you haven't noticed over the last, well, 50 years, rarely does the ending of any show of any corps that we see in mid-June makes it in the show come Saturday at Finals. 

..... patience young Jedi. 

Might we also discuss your "The Dark Years" reference in your signature block, Mitch?  Many fans of The Cavaliers do not know what that means.  It was the time of zero championships and resetting ourselves and finding our way forward with a new identity. For those of us who marched during The Dark Years, we feel a special closeness to both the past and future of The Cavaliers because we marched knowing we were given substandard shows which could not possibly compete, we had certain instructors who had no business being around a world class corps, and we won a lot of fans in the process because we performed exceptionally well.  People forget we nearly folded in the early 1980s prior to Rosemont sponsorship.  Still, we practiced hard, beat some corps from time to time and lost from time to time, but we kept The Cavaliers in DCI Finals, sometimes barely making it.  We kept the dream alive and I don't regret a moment I ever spent with my brothers.  We had immense talent and great energy and to see our current marching members enjoy such success makes us all proud.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

Someone posted on Reddit the drumline wore red armbands in memory of the Music City snare player who passed away earlier in June. 

Awesome gesture.   

Edited by drumcorpsfever

34 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

Might we also discuss your "The Dark Years" reference in your signature block, Mitch?  Many fans of The Cavaliers do not know what that means.  It was the time of zero championships and resetting ourselves and finding our way forward with a new identity. For those of us who marched during The Dark Years, we feel a special closeness to both the past and future of The Cavaliers because we marched knowing we were given substandard shows which could not possibly compete, we had certain instructors who had no business being around a world class corps, and we won a lot of fans in the process because we performed exceptionally well.  People forget we nearly folded in the early 1980s prior to Rosemont sponsorship.  Still, we practiced hard, beat some corps from time to time and lost from time to time, but we kept The Cavaliers in DCI Finals, sometimes barely making it.  We kept the dream alive and I don't regret a moment I ever spent with my brothers.  We had immense talent and great energy and to see our current marching members enjoy such success makes us all proud.

I think he just means he stepped away from the activity.  Got a job.  No fun, boo. Dark years.

Am I right?

Just now, bicsta said:

I think he just means he stepped away from the activity.  Got a job.  No fun, boo. Dark years.

Am I right?

No.  The Dark Years refers to a specific time in Cavaliers history which is generally accepted as beginning in the late 1970s and extending through much of the 1980s.  I marched from 1980-1983. 

14 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

I think there are lots of other corps that are hyped up more than the cavies... but that is just me lol

It's so foreign to me.

Cavies used to get hype too, and now they're often the first corps picked to drop again.

I feel like it is some people's chance to extract their pound of flesh, or get their revenge against them after several decades of dominance.

I imagine this would happen to the Blue Devils as well if they placed 6th or even 5th.

I'm so hyped for them, I just donated to the Gears program for this year!

• Like 2