The Cavaliers 2017

15 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

It's so foreign to me.

Cavies used to get hype too, and now they're often the first corps picked to drop again.

I feel like it is some people's chance to extract their pound of flesh, or get their revenge against them after several decades of dominance.

I imagine this would happen to the Blue Devils as well if they placed 6th or even 5th.

I'm so hyped for them, I just donated to the Gears program for this year!

I think you're on to something. I do not think they will place lower than 6th this year. Even if they do, they are still headed in the right direction.

19 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Just now, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:
21 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Thank you SO much!  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

It's so foreign to me.

Cavies used to get hype too, and now they're often the first corps picked to drop again.

I feel like it is some people's chance to extract their pound of flesh, or get their revenge against them after several decades of dominance.

I imagine this would happen to the Blue Devils as well if they placed 6th or even 5th.

Possibly... I just do not understand why someone could bash on a drum corps. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Possibly... I just do not understand why someone could bash on a drum corps. 

Absolutely.  While I definitely have my favorite corps -- mine -- I love them all because I love the activity itself.  Maybe that's why I'm such a traditionalist; I love the purity of it and that's why I'm resistant to things like live singers, etc.

3 hours ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

Might we also discuss your "The Dark Years" reference in your signature block, Mitch?  Many fans of The Cavaliers do not know what that means.  It was the time of zero championships and resetting ourselves and finding our way forward with a new identity. For those of us who marched during The Dark Years, we feel a special closeness to both the past and future of The Cavaliers because we marched knowing we were given substandard shows which could not possibly compete, we had certain instructors who had no business being around a world class corps, and we won a lot of fans in the process because we performed exceptionally well.  People forget we nearly folded in the early 1980s prior to Rosemont sponsorship.  Still, we practiced hard, beat some corps from time to time and lost from time to time, but we kept The Cavaliers in DCI Finals, sometimes barely making it.  We kept the dream alive and I don't regret a moment I ever spent with my brothers.  We had immense talent and great energy and to see our current marching members enjoy such success makes us all proud.

We can write a book can't we?

Yes, very dark years where we nearly folded..... twice. Only to be saved by The Cavalier Cadets/Alumni and then Rosemont. 

The difficult times made us so much stronger later in our drum corps careers and in life. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

No.  The Dark Years refers to a specific time in Cavaliers history which is generally accepted as beginning in the late 1970s and extending through much of the 1980s.  I marched from 1980-1983. 

Correct. The years when we took 16th place and fought HARD making finals. 

The time periods before and after those years where prime years of being one of the elite in the activity and many VFW, Legion and DCI Championships. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dc oldtimer said:

We can write a book can't we?

Yes, very dark years where we nearly folded..... twice. Only to be saved by The Cavalier Cadets/Alumni and then Rosemont. 

The difficult times made us so much stronger later in our drum corps careers and in life. 

A book WAS written and with no malice intended to Colt Foutz, it really should have been written by an alumnus.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dc oldtimer said:

Correct. The years when we took 16th place and fought HARD making finals. 

The time periods before and after those years where prime years of being one of the elite in the activity and many VFW, Legion and DCI Championships. 

1978. Yes. My rookie year was 1980 and I remember hearing from those who marched in 1978 how awful it was to not make Finals.  Thank God I never experienced that.  The closest was Prelims in 1982 where we finished 12th and moved past Spirit of Atlanta to 11th in Finals.  The 1982 Prelims performance still makes me mad.  We had won our last contest before Montreal with a huge score but in Prelims we laid an egg -- and I won't go into why except to say hearing instructors tell us to have a safe, controlled performance was not correct.

3 hours ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

A book WAS written and with no malice intended to Colt Foutz, it really should have been written by an alumnus.  

You know, I was just looking at my copy of that book. I have read that book so many times that the cover is kinda torn up. But I really like that I have Colt Foutz and Don Warren's signature. Heck Don wrote "(my actual name), Looking forward to seeing you in the green". And of course Foutz wrote "A great musician and a future cavalier".... man, I was 16/17 at the time and I was so dang excited. I even say if I could go back in time and pick a different instrument, I would have picked any brass instrument. And of course I would jave practiced my butt off to make it into the corps. Dang, what I would do right now to work/volunteer for the corps... well, lets just say it would be a dream come true. 

Edited by Hook'emCavies
  • Like 1