The Cavaliers 2017

10 hours ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

A book WAS written and with no malice intended to Colt Foutz, it really should have been written by an alumnus.  

A book by a Cavaliers alumnus would be an interesting read.

The Foutz book is okay for what it is. He had good access to Don Warren, and so it seemed to me a set of Warren recollections more than anything else. There wasn't much of a narrative thread, save for documenting what Warren was saying.

As a fan (not an alumnus or parent of a member or alumnus), I wanted a little more analytical approach to the history and development of The Cavaliers and DCI. Despite having good experience in journalism, Foutz didn't seem to do much real interviewing of Don and others (as opposed to recording what they said). Great anecdotes, though.

15 hours ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

1978. Yes. My rookie year was 1980 and I remember hearing from those who marched in 1978 how awful it was to not make Finals.  Thank God I never experienced that.  The closest was Prelims in 1982 where we finished 12th and moved past Spirit of Atlanta to 11th in Finals.  The 1982 Prelims performance still makes me mad.  We had won our last contest before Montreal with a huge score but in Prelims we laid an egg -- and I won't go into why except to say hearing instructors tell us to have a safe, controlled performance was not correct.

The first time I saw the Cavaliers live was at DCI prelims in '82 when DCI was literally in my backyard in Montreal !   I fell in love with the corps and decided that one day I was going to march their rifle line !!!

Finally marched my last 2 years with them ('88 and '89) and loved every minute of it !!!

PS: Absolutely love the transformation of the corps these last 2 years - and the guard is amazing this year !!!!!

Mike

Edited by Guardguy89
  • Like 2

On 6/29/2017 at 4:34 AM, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

I believe men should sound like men.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

On 6/29/2017 at 9:16 PM, Hook'emCavies said:

Dang, what I would do right now to work/volunteer for the corps... well, lets just say it would be a dream come true. 

Cavaliers ARE looking for volunteers right now...just sayin'... :-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FaustianMachine said:

One thing from tonight that I forgot to ask: During the closer, the trombones were using two different colored horns. Any particular reason? 

I was wondering the same thing. My guess had to be tenor trombones (silver) and bass trombones (gold) but I have no idea. Just a thought 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2017 at 9:16 PM, Hook'emCavies said:

You know, I was just looking at my copy of that book. I have read that book so many times that the cover is kinda torn up. But I really like that I have Colt Foutz and Don Warren's signature. Heck Don wrote "(my actual name), Looking forward to seeing you in the green". And of course Foutz wrote "A great musician and a future cavalier".... man, I was 16/17 at the time and I was so dang excited. I even say if I could go back in time and pick a different instrument, I would have picked any brass instrument. And of course I would jave practiced my butt off to make it into the corps. Dang, what I would do right now to work/volunteer for the corps... well, lets just say it would be a dream come true. 

You should absolutely volunteer.  They always need help and it doesn't matter if it's for one day, a week, a month, etc.  You'd be able to watch the Houston show then hop on the volunteer bus with your luggage after it's over. Book a flight for whatever day you need to get back home and they'll take you to the airport.

https://cavaliers.org/volunteer

1 hour ago, ripchops said:

I was wondering the same thing. My guess had to be tenor trombones (silver) and bass trombones (gold) but I have no idea. Just a thought 

That was my thought as well. If I remember right, all of the trombones in Lollapalooza were silver and sounded the same (I'm a woodwind, so my brass knowledge ends at "they sounded the same" for timbre there), so the golds being bass trombones makes sense.  

On 6/29/2017 at 10:16 PM, Hook'emCavies said:

You know, I was just looking at my copy of that book. I have read that book so many times that the cover is kinda torn up. But I really like that I have Colt Foutz and Don Warren's signature. Heck Don wrote "(my actual name), Looking forward to seeing you in the green". And of course Foutz wrote "A great musician and a future cavalier".... man, I was 16/17 at the time and I was so dang excited. I even say if I could go back in time and pick a different instrument, I would have picked any brass instrument. And of course I would jave practiced my butt off to make it into the corps. Dang, what I would do right now to work/volunteer for the corps... well, lets just say it would be a dream come true. 

Hey @Hook'emCavies, I volunteered for the Scouts this year. Just one day is all I could give, and they have spring training about 45 minutes away from me. It was a nice experience - lots of work in the kitchen - but great to get a bit of a feel for the organization. Everyone was welcoming, making it very easy to plug in and help out.

You could always think of volunteering as part of a holiday. 1, 2, 3 days or so with The Cavaliers while also doing something else. The corps can absolutely use any assistance you want to offer.

• Like 1