The Cavaliers 2017

3 hours ago, mjoakes said:

Hey @Hook'emCavies, I volunteered for the Scouts this year. Just one day is all I could give, and they have spring training about 45 minutes away from me. It was a nice experience - lots of work in the kitchen - but great to get a bit of a feel for the organization. Everyone was welcoming, making it very easy to plug in and help out.

You could always think of volunteering as part of a holiday. 1, 2, 3 days or so with The Cavaliers while also doing something else. The corps can absolutely use any assistance you want to offer.

Not a bad idea. I thought about asking and seeing if they need help in SA. It would be an awesome experience!

7 hours ago, tommynev said:

You should absolutely volunteer.  They always need help and it doesn't matter if it's for one day, a week, a month, etc.  You'd be able to watch the Houston show then hop on the volunteer bus with your luggage after it's over. Book a flight for whatever day you need to get back home and they'll take you to the airport.

https://cavaliers.org/volunteer

Oh, that would be awesome!

52 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Anyone at the show last night? How did the corps do?

Watched the periscope. While it's hard to see the details I thought they sounded pretty darn good. You can hear some of the changes in the arrangements they've made over the last week as well. Percussion and guard are amazing.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Anyone at the show last night? How did the corps do?

Wasn't there but saw the show on periscope. I thought they did great. The theme is really coming together for me. It really does remind me of Mad World. That show started the season clunky, unpolished, and hard to read, but as the season progressed it came together from beginning to end. This show is starting to do that IMO. Yes, there are still some rough transitions but they've already done a nice job of correcting a few issues in just the last week. The brass appears to be gaining more confidence in their performance. The two really tough passages in the opener and "drum feature" are better, still some work to do, but it will get there. The guard for me really sells this show. It will be nice to get full judging panels again so we can see how their caption is being scored against other groups. Still not completely sold on the closer but boy did they let it rip during the last push of My Way when the brass rushes the sideline. I'm sure they'll be an altered ending eventually but for now it's okay. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vhsmbdm said:

Wasn't there but saw the show on periscope. I thought they did great. The theme is really coming together for me. It really does remind me of Mad World. That show started the season clunky, unpolished, and hard to read, but as the season progressed it came together from beginning to end. This show is starting to do that IMO. Yes, there are still some rough transitions but they've already done a nice job of correcting a few issues in just the last week. The brass appears to be gaining more confidence in their performance. The two really tough passages in the opener and "drum feature" are better, still some work to do, but it will get there. The guard for me really sells this show. It will be nice to get full judging panels again so we can see how their caption is being scored against other groups. Still not completely sold on the closer but boy did they let it rip during the last push of My Way when the brass rushes the sideline. I'm sure they'll be an altered ending eventually but for now it's okay. 

Of course the ending will be altered, only question is it in by San Antonio or Atlanta. Can't remember the last season the boys didn't have a new/more final ending.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hook'emCavies said:

2009.... I think???

I think the final trianglular drill was always the last set of the show, but unless I'm mistaken, the color guard member "mountain climbing" over the brass players wasn't added until mid season. (That wasn't really the ending but it did lead into the final push)

Edited by vhsmbdm

8 minutes ago, vhsmbdm said:

I think the final trianglular drill was always the last set of the show, but unless I'm mistaken, the color guard member "mountain climbing" over the brass players wasn't added until mid season. (That wasn't really the ending but it did lead into the final push)

It has been awhile lol. I remember seeing the mountain climbing before the Houston show (back when dci fan network was around). But I could be mistaken