The Cavaliers 2017

58 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I'll give you Crown, but not Bluecoats. Bluecoats have the better musical construction to go along with an all around great visual program. But Cavaliers are definitely performing as well as anyone, even BD or SCV when it comes to visual proficiency, guard. Their visual analysis numbers have to be strong. They are marching some tough drill and they are nailing it. With slightly stronger construction of their music book (less choppy) I imagine they might be challenging SCV.  

I'm talking about overall interest/creativity level of show design, rather than technical design of music and visual. Both Crown and Bluecoats have sections which sag - Crown the last third, Bluecoats the entire middle. They both started that way at the preview and neither have totally fixed the issues. Cavaliers have taken this really obtuse concept ("men") and managed to tell a story that is easy to understand, totally engaging throughout, clever, humorous, unexpected, thought provoking and a bit of a thrill ride. It's such a complex program and exists within this crazy world they created and then lavishly detailed. 

Then there is this off-the-wall stuff like Laurie Anderson and electric tuba. 

I'm not easy to impress with concepts and I think, from a creativity standpoint, what they are doing is absolutely on par with BD and SCV, and I'd actually put it above SCV. Now their execution and performance level may not be quite up there yet, but the design is outstanding. 

• Like 5

Bluecoats' visual design is superior to the Cavaliers, in my opinion, but their execution is far below what the Cavies are putting out. If Bloo manages to clean all of their hyper-exposed dance and body movement, then I don't believe that the Cavaliers can catch them. That's a huge "if", though, and if they don't then I can very easily see the Cavies beating Bloo in visual. 

Musically, though, the Cavaliers' book doesn't hold a candle to Bloo's. The Cavies' book never seems to finish a musical idea, and revolves (hehe) almost exclusively around a series of gimmicks, in a show that's full to bursting of gimmicks. Again, though, the Cavies are executing at a higher level right now; they're "selling" their gimmicks better than Bloo is executing their better-designed music. At this point, it comes down to: Will Bloo clean? If they do, then they can set their eyes ahead of them. If not, then they have hungry competition behind them.

• Like 3

On 8/2/2017 at 3:38 AM, Anstigback said:

I'm more homer than ever, cavaliers need to at least medal this season

I agree with Anstig? Woah

• Like 1

I'm hoping the weather cooperates and I'll actually get to see the Cavaliers live in Massillon next Monday. The forecast isn't looking too good right now but it's Ohio, tomorrow it will probably say it's going to be clear skies and 90 degrees; that or it will snow. 

If all else fails, the hubby and I will still be going to my sister's place in Bloomington, IN to watch the webcast of finals! To this day, I still get a little choked up driving passed Memorial Stadium. Can't believe it's been nearly ten years since viewing live the "Spartacus upset". 

• Like 1

As an alumnus I want to congratulate The Cavaliers' brass staff for the outstanding job they've done over the past week or two.  I've heard the corps live a few times this year and finally, after seemingly decades of alumni "input," the brass players are just letting it fly out there.  Even in my days with the corps we were held back a bit and we hated it.  Now I hear a brass line which isn't just clean but now has that energy, that "edge," and that volume we know was always there but just needed to be unleashed.

That sound is beautiful and full now and it's bringing crowds to their feet.  Third place is ours for the taking because the Cavaliers' brass line is now ahead of the Bluecoats, chasing Crown, and within a point of the Blue Devils. 

Mars has always been my favorite planet.

• Like 8

The Cavaliers seem to me to have more momentum than either Crown or Bluecoats. That's certainly just the same thing as saying I like their show and performances much better than those two. And that I wish they would medal. But in the spirit of so many on DCP, I'm going to translate "wish" and "hope" into "must be or else others are wrong" - and claim here that Cavies will move into a medalist's spot. That would be a way cool Saturday night and a thrilling ending to the 2017 tour.

So Go Cavies.

And also: Really hoping Madison hangs onto 12 and can push into 11.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mjoakes said:

The Cavaliers seem to me to have more momentum than either Crown or Bluecoats. That's certainly just the same thing as saying I like their show and performances much better than those two. And that I wish they would medal. But in the spirit of so many on DCP, I'm going to translate "wish" and "hope" into "must be or else others are wrong" - and claim here that Cavies will move into a medalist's spot. That would be a way cool Saturday night and a thrilling ending to the 2017 tour.

So Go Cavies.

And also: Really hoping Madison hangs onto 12 and can push into 11.

I need to watch madisons show again. I have heard they added a few things that are pretty exciting

11 hours ago, pudding said:

Bluecoats' visual design is superior to the Cavaliers, in my opinion, but their execution is far below what the Cavies are putting out. If Bloo manages to clean all of their hyper-exposed dance and body movement, then I don't believe that the Cavaliers can catch them. That's a huge "if", though, and if they don't then I can very easily see the Cavies beating Bloo in visual. 

Musically, though, the Cavaliers' book doesn't hold a candle to Bloo's. The Cavies' book never seems to finish a musical idea, and revolves (hehe) almost exclusively around a series of gimmicks, in a show that's full to bursting of gimmicks. Again, though, the Cavies are executing at a higher level right now; they're "selling" their gimmicks better than Bloo is executing their better-designed music. At this point, it comes down to: Will Bloo clean? If they do, then they can set their eyes ahead of them. If not, then they have hungry competition behind them.

The tough thing is, they deploy completely different drill design methodologies. You can't compare what Cavaliers does to what Bluecoats does on a one to one basis...though I realize this is the ultimate challenge of the judging community.

Cavaliers have a purposefully uncontrolled design approach that thrives in chaos. Bluecoats has a purposefully controlled design approach that thrives in energy. Which one is better is largely based on which style of show design you tend to like to watch.

My teenage kids liked Cavaliers, because they really didn't have to understand anything about marching or playing to be overwhelmed with their performance. For those of us who enjoy breaking down show designs and "understanding" the themes and ideas, there's not much there there with Cavaliers. That is, however, the intent of their design, and it was last year as well. I just don't care for it, and I yearn for the old days of Frameworks and Machine.

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

The tough thing is, they deploy completely different drill design methodologies. You can't compare what Cavaliers does to what Bluecoats does on a one to one basis...though I realize this is the ultimate challenge of the judging community.

Cavaliers have a purposefully uncontrolled design approach that thrives in chaos. Bluecoats has a purposefully controlled design approach that thrives in energy. Which one is better is largely based on which style of show design you tend to like to watch.

My teenage kids liked Cavaliers, because they really didn't have to understand anything about marching or playing to be overwhelmed with their performance. For those of us who enjoy breaking down show designs and "understanding" the themes and ideas, there's not much there there with Cavaliers. That is, however, the intent of their design, and it was last year as well. I just don't care for it, and I yearn for the old days of Frameworks and Machine.

I love what the Cavaliers are doing this year-sans a few minor details.  When I go back and watch their shows (2000-2011)I am reminded at just how good the design and staging of those happened to be...

• Like 2