The Cavaliers 2017

5 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

So...my moniker on this site is "PopCornEater" for a reason. I sit in the stands, enjoy the corps eating my popcorn, and don't pretend for one second that I can tell the difference in the 1/10th of a point between the Blue Devils drumline and SCV's drumline. Because I honestly don't believe many of those people actually exist ( that have that discernment capability). I've said all that to put the following opinion into appropriate context regarding Cavaliers 2017. 

There could be some parental bias involved here as well...but I already like this show better than Propaganda, and I REALLY liked Propaganda. Well designed and what I believe will be multiple crowd-pleasing ( applause ) moments throughout what I've seen and right now there's only about 7 minutes on the field. Haven't seen anything of the ballad yet, nor the closer. 

And having given you my "popcorn eater" qualifications, I'll also weigh in that the brass line sounds more mature than last year. Don't know if that's the membership or the material they are playing or perhaps both. But to my ears, a marked uptick in brass performance. 

Hope that helps. Can't wait for Indy! 

Great review, especially regarding the Brass...I've been wanting a big brass sound from them for a while...I hope I get it in this show...:) 

1 hour ago, The Greens said:

Great review, especially regarding the Brass...I've been wanting a big brass sound from them for a while...I hope I get it in this show...:) 

Again...completely anecdotal...as my son was coming through auditions, call backs, contract, etc. there was a definite focus on how "big" of a sound he could produce out his horn and still maintain a musical expression. I think you will get what you're looking for in this show. :-)  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Again...completely anecdotal...as my son was coming through auditions, call backs, contract, etc. there was a definite focus on how "big" of a sound he could produce out his horn and still maintain a musical expression. I think you will get what you're looking for in this show. :-)  

I think the big brass sound and moments its one of the things that's been holding the Cavies back, I don't know if its been the way the music is arranged or the level of talent..but I'm ready to hear and see this years show! 

Anyone know which movement of Wine Dark Sea their resource music is from? I'm guessing, or hoping, that it's from the beginning section to the middle of (around the 6:40-7:25 mark) of movement one.

Edited by GREENBLUE

5 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

Anyone know which movement of Wine Dark Sea their resource music is from? I'm guessing, or hoping, that it's from the beginning and middle of (around the 6:40 mark) of movement one.

I heard movement 1

1 minute ago, brassdude6171 said:

I heard movement 1

Awesome thanks. Didn't think they would do movement 2 (the ballad) or movement 3 (cadets 2016). Parts of Movement One fit perfectly with the other source material.

17 hours ago, The Greens said:

I think the big brass sound and moments its one of the things that's been holding the Cavies back, I don't know if its been the way the music is arranged or the level of talent..but I'm ready to hear and see this years show! 

I agree, but I also feel like they did a better job at producing a fuller sound last season. I hope they are able to build upon that this season!

17 hours ago, The Greens said:

Doubt it's the talent. They're one of the corps that has maintained their "cool" factor and I'm sure draw plenty of talent. I personally think it's the way their pieces are arranged, I find that they're layered more than other corps and leads to a thinner sound. 

I have a hard time listening to a lot of Cavies shows because of this, but I noticed a pretty noticeable difference in the sound around 2014 that is more full than, say, 2011. 

5 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Doubt it's the talent. They're one of the corps that has maintained their "cool" factor and I'm sure draw plenty of talent. I personally think it's the way their pieces are arranged, I find that they're layered more than other corps and leads to a thinner sound. 

I have a hard time listening to a lot of Cavies shows because of this, but I noticed a pretty noticeable difference in the sound around 2014 that is more full than, say, 2011. 

I can agree with that..I was 90% sure it was arrangements...but I feel good about the show and I haven't even seen it.