The Cavaliers 2017

1 minute ago, littlejaw said:

It is an old school thing that is still prevalent today. I know I don't really like to be called a Cavie, but I just appreciate that people even know what drum corps is and on top of that The Cavaliers.

It's mostly just seen as childish, e.g. mommy is to mother. A term that has fully been embraced by the corps has been Cavs. It reminds me of being the mom to mother and not mommy.

I'm a parent of a new Cavalier, and I posted their Encore last night ( albeit quickly and without thinking too much about it ) as "Cavies are playing the Encore tonight!" Glad I saw this thread...from now on it's Cavs or Cavaliers. I also wonder if this might be regional? My brother, who marched with Spirit of Atlanta in their prime ( 79-81) proudly publicized to his friends that his nephew was "going to be a Cavie". We're southern folk...just wondering if that naming convention runs with geography. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DrumManTx said:

Lord.  

That was tight.   

I can see why they are undefeated so far in drums this season. Given that is one victory over Bluecoats and two over Crown, while the rest are over Blue Stars and Crossmen.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I'm a parent of a new Cavalier, and I posted their Encore last night ( albeit quickly and without thinking too much about it ) as "Cavies are playing the Encore tonight!" Glad I saw this thread...from now on it's Cavs or Cavaliers. I also wonder if this might be regional? My brother, who marched with Spirit of Atlanta in their prime ( 79-81) proudly publicized to his friends that his nephew was "going to be a Cavie". We're southern folk...just wondering if that naming convention runs with geography. 

Texan myself and I understand the colloquialism. But it's really always just been a Cavaliers thing. You meet a girl from another corps and she'll call you her Cavies boy. Fans use the term ubiquitously, and other corps as well.

It's not something we take offense to, it's just something we would prefer to be different.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, littlejaw said:

I can see why they are undefeated so far in drums this season. Given that is one victory over Bluecoats and two over Crown, while the rest are over Blue Stars and Crossmen.

So with a 5-man panel tonight and no one dedicated to "Percussion"...I guess there is no Percussion Caption winner tonight? As much money and time as these corps pump into the activity, one would think DCI could have full judging panels available for feedback. Don't know if I'm wondering into political turf or not....but good grief...does DCI not have the money to properly adjudicate the contests? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, littlejaw said:

Texan myself and I understand the colloquialism. But it's really always just been a Cavaliers thing. You meet a girl from another corps and she'll call you her Cavies boy. Fans use the term ubiquitously, and other corps as well.

It's not something we take offense to, it's just something we would prefer to be different.

Already learning new things on Drum Corps Planet...thanks! I can certainly adjust my vernacular! 

5 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

So with a 5-man panel tonight and no one dedicated to "Percussion"...I guess there is no Percussion Caption winner tonight? As much money and time as these corps pump into the activity, one would think DCI could have full judging panels available for feedback. Don't know if I'm wondering into political turf or not....but good grief...does DCI not have the money to properly adjudicate the contests? 

I wholeheartedly agree with this. But it all comes down to the money. Yet in this instance, from my understanding, it is money put down by the hosting site and not DCI that pays the judges and sets the panel size. You see the west coast shows with full panels for this reason.

1 minute ago, littlejaw said:

I wholeheartedly agree with this. But it all comes down to the money. Yet in this instance, from my understanding, it is money put down by the hosting site and not DCI that pays the judges and sets the panel size. You see the west coast shows with full panels for this reason.

Well then I continue to learn...so DCI is not the governing body over how many judges? It's up to how many judges the venue will pay? ( Tongue in Cheek) ...Could we eventually have a contest where we just grab a drunk fan, pull him up into the press box, and ask him who won? Between audition camps, equipment, fees, etc, we're about $5K in for one kid to march. I look at all the kids marching and I see $5K for each head on the field. And then become a little saddened that a full slate of judges can't be assembled to judge their work. I'm having an eye-opening evening!