Carolina Crown 2017

Something I just realized. Nobody ever talks about crowns pit but always says their drums held them back. People do often forget about the pit. Reason SCV wins the drum trophy so much is because of that balance.

Until there is a battery judge and a front ensemble judge it won't be very clear to see how they affect the group, but what we do know from the numbers (3 day average at Championships) is Crown was 4th in Ensemble (0.57 behind 1st place, and only 0.02 ahead of Cadets) and were 4th in Field (0.63 behind 1st place, and only 0.07 ahead of Cadets).

Hey, 4th is still great but it was 0.54 back of Vanguard, and it's not listed out how Percussion as a whole affected the "Music GE" (0.5 behind Bluecoats) and the Music Analysis (yes, they won this but could the spread have been bigger) scores.

B) well as a Boston fan, I can see where those words would be gospel, right?

:peek:

I actually agree with you....BUT It goes both ways which seems to be lacking in logic...as much as some folks say for example...

"Boston can't be expected to move up more than 3 spots"

What is to say that Crown can't fall 3 spots either? ..I am not saying they will...they could place higher
Hence my original supposition...Past performance does not necessarily mean future success...

Until there is a battery judge and a front ensemble judge it won't be very clear to see how they affect the group, but what we do know from the numbers (3 day average at Championships) is Crown was 4th in Ensemble (0.57 behind 1st place, and only 0.02 ahead of Cadets) and were 4th in Field (0.63 behind 1st place, and only 0.07 ahead of Cadets).

Hey, 4th is still great but it was 0.54 back of Vanguard, and it's not listed out how Percussion as a whole affected the "Music GE" (0.5 behind Bluecoats) and the Music Analysis (yes, they won this but could the spread have been bigger) scores.

not going to go too far off topic, but I find it very revealing to see the difference between the PE and MA judge. IMO they should basically agree all the time (looking at the same thing , just starting in a different places.). Instead you sometimes have PE judges trying to do what DCP says can't be done -- tic the field from the box. crazy.

IMO crown moved up a spot this year (5th to 4th). i think they can and will continue to push up in the perc captions.

I actually agree with you....BUT It goes both ways which seems to be lacking in logic...as much as some folks say for example...

"Boston can't be expected to move up more than 3 spots"

What is to say that Crown can't fall 3 spots either? ..I am not saying they will...they could place higher
Hence my original supposition...Past performance does not necessarily mean future success...

if everything were equal i'd agree. anyone could drop at any time.

but there are so many factors that come in to play.

i think programs that consistently place near the top have learned and implemented lessons that other competitors haven't. the expression "winners know how to win" may seem at first to be tautological, but underneath it there are attitudes, expectations, and processes in every aspect of an organization that serve to differentiate them from other teams.

many corps have talent and design. but still -- few contend.

crown the greatest invention since ... Well uhhhhhhhhhhh STAR,,,,,, lets see and witness how long can this keep going on.

other comments kept to myself.

crown the greatest invention since ... Well uhhhhhhhhhhh STAR,,,,,, lets see and witness how long can this keep going on.

other comments kept to myself.

it's the crown thread -- what do you want? crown fans projecting doom and gloom?

star was star. crown is crown.

anyway i think all this is going to shake out as a net gain for crown. but hey -- i'm just honking on DCP!

• Like 2

if everything were equal i'd agree. anyone could drop at any time.

but there are so many factors that come in to play.

i think programs that consistently place near the top have learned and implemented lessons that other competitors haven't. the expression "winners know how to win" may seem at first to be tautological, but underneath it there are attitudes, expectations, and processes in every aspect of an organization that serve to differentiate them from other teams.

many corps have talent and design. but still -- few contend.

Well stated and I agree.

I'm leaning to credit the exodus to a rift between the only part of the Staff that is still there and all others who have departed. In staff circles it has long been heard that Crown Brass alienate themselves with their Baseball jerseys and general "cockiness" (deserved in this case) when it comes to their section and their sections credit to Crown's success (undeserved IMO).

After years of the same behavior, It can be easy to see why there can be some built up tension and animosity from other factions of the staff towards Crown Brass.

Maybe word spread in the DCI circles late in the season and the approach was made to give the other staff "their way out".

As an instructor myself, You know first hand that if you are going to spend months of your life traveling with a group of people that are your colleagues and you feel unappreciated or there is animosity, You start to question why you are there and why are you going through times not fully enjoying what you are doing. Many times this is what leads to people changing jobs when you are already at what is considered the top of the activity.

Not Money.

Occam's Razor.

• Like 2

Not answering for Corpsband but talent usually leave for a multitude of reasons. Perhaps money, but in the discussion is the creative environment, leadership respect for staff, having brought the current corps (Crown) to a level they feel they've reached and want to build up or create a new product somewhere else. IMO, the fact that so many Crown staff left along with some techs leads me to believe the monetary incentive was great. Cadets staff exodus may have been partially money but more of a chemistry/work environment at Cadets. Crown may have had some of those issues too. The Coates are hardly Mr. & Mrs. Santa Claus, not quite Hopkins but not far behind. I heard that from many different sources.

Why is Carolina Crown not in the financial position to match what Boston Crusaders are wiling to pay their staff now ?