Carolina Crown 2017

A lot of Crownies on that "new" CrownGuard staff :cool:

That's great!...lot's of opportunities for alums I'd presume...I see only one returning staff member in that list from last season though...perhaps that's a good thing.

edit: just read the info 5 total STAFF from years past..just only 1 STAFF from last season

edit: meant to write "staff"...wrote in hurry

Edited by Liahona

That's great!...lot's of opportunities for alums I'd presume...I see only one returning staff member in that list from last season though...perhaps that's a good thing.

edit: just read the info 5 total from years past..just only 1 from last season

Actually 8 marched Crown, 5 taught at Crown. So -- many folks who 'get' what Crown is all about! Very excited to see what these talented designers and instructors have in store for 2017.

Interesting that they won guard last year, and then they have a drastically different guard staff.

you missed it where the '16 guard staff left for some greener grass? as did the cadets brass and perc staff ? welcome back, dude.

No, I noticed that, just commenting that they won guard, and left. Not for "greener grass" really, as it's not a better opportunity, but maybe more money.

No, I noticed that, just commenting that they won guard, and left. Not for "greener grass" really, as it's not a better opportunity, but maybe more money.

well i did say green grass :-) i think greener grass covers the whole thing rather succinctly. just trying to avoid beating a dead horse.

I'm worried about Crownguard. I'm sure the alumni are capable but those big names do carry weight. I feel the same about Cadets brass. I guess time will tell.

I'm worried about Crownguard. I'm sure the alumni are capable but those big names do carry weight. I feel the same about Cadets brass. I guess time will tell.

weight with potential members? i know what you're saying. but had you even heard of KP or MT before all this blew up? yes "insiders" knew who they were. and Indiana kids knew them. but a huge percentage of kids who marched Crownguard had no idea who MT or KP were before they went there. so i don't see it affecting recruiting much.

if you're talking about judges -- who knows? weight certainly didn't win them very many Zingali's. personally i think half dont know or dont care and the other half knows very well who Team 2017 is.

brass caption head seem to get a little more press -- people know who Harloff and Cipriani are. but again i'll bet LOTS of people don't know very many more names.

percussion is probably the biggest place where names carry weight. caption heads have their true believers who follow them everywhere.

honestly i still believe most people walk in the door because of the shows they see on the field.

if i told you the new staff was a blend of SCV, Xmen, and Paramount would that sound better? it's not just a bunch of random age outs who said yeah we'll come back and help :-) there's a TON of very experienced people on that staff. i emphasized the alum aspect only because you don't have a bunch of new people walking in the door who don't understand crown and crownguard. actually i'm kind of excited to see what they can do. it would be quite interesting to see crown win another guard trophy after the staff -- that struggled for so long win just one -- took their ball and left the playground.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

weight with potential members? i know what you're saying. but had you even heard of KP or MT before all this blew up? yes "insiders" knew who they were. and Indiana kids knew them. but a huge percentage of kids who marched Crownguard had no idea who MT or KP were before they went there. so i don't see it affecting recruiting much.

if you're talking about judges -- who knows? weight certainly didn't win them very many Zingali's. personally i think half dont know or dont care and the other half knows very well who Team 2017 is.

Sometimes I think many of us place too much emphasis on staff...then again it's those staff that have the formula to win and do that on a consistent basis year after year...I'm a brass guy...Gino is larger than life to me...but so are many of the Crown brass staff...these folks are rock stars to me much like someone else might follow an actor or other artist...I can't say the same for guard...until recently I've payed greater attention...but I would think that guard folks follow the various guard staff like rock stars as well and know them from winter guard programs etc...You can look at it...Why would a high achiever (we know who these folks are) want to work and learn with the best heart surgeon in the world? I think the answer is quite obvious...and high achievers know who these folks are for that matter....

Edited by Liahona