Carolina Crown 2017

but I would think that guard folks follow the various guard staff like rock stars as well and know them from winter guard programs etc...

except there's no evidence of that happening much with guard programs in DCI. a handful of kids yes -- but not like an entire snare or bass line in percussion. of course that was the past and other factors may come in to play which cause things to change. in any case i fully expect CrownGuard to reload and come right back into contention this year.

and i agree with your comment about staff. there are a LOT of factors that go into the entire drum corps experience. admin, volunteers, spring training, food, crowd reactions, performance orders, clinics -- all of these things (and many, many more things) go in to shaping a members' experience over the summer. it's not just about the staff -- it's about being a member of Carolina Crown.

i remember one of my daughter's first comments to me her rookie year was -- "Dad -- I'm standing on the field spinning in front of the Crown brass! Holy #### ! " Cracked me up.

weight with potential members? i know what you're saying. but had you even heard of KP or MT before all this blew up? yes "insiders" knew who they were. and Indiana kids knew them. but a huge percentage of kids who marched Crownguard had no idea who MT or KP were before they went there. so i don't see it affecting recruiting much.

if you're talking about judges -- who knows? weight certainly didn't win them very many Zingali's. personally i think half dont know or dont care and the other half knows very well who Team 2017 is.

brass caption head seem to get a little more press -- people know who Harloff and Cipriani are. but again i'll bet LOTS of people don't know very many more names.

percussion is probably the biggest place where names carry weight. caption heads have their true believers who follow them everywhere.

honestly i still believe most people walk in the door because of the shows they see on the field.

if i told you the new staff was a blend of SCV, Xmen, and Paramount would that sound better? it's not just a bunch of random age outs who said yeah we'll come back and help :-) there's a TON of very experienced people on that staff. i emphasized the alum aspect only because you don't have a bunch of new people walking in the door who don't understand crown and crownguard. actually i'm kind of excited to see what they can do. it would be quite interesting to see crown win another guard trophy after the staff -- that struggled for so long win just one -- took their ball and left the playground.

You're probably correct.

Sometimes I think many of us place too much emphasis on staff...then again it's those staff that have the formula to win and do that on a consistent basis year after year...I'm a brass guy...Gino is larger than life to me...but so are many of the Crown brass staff...these folks are rock stars to me much like someone else might follow an actor or other artist...I can't say the same for guard...until recently I've payed greater attention...but I would think that guard folks follow the various guard staff like rock stars as well and know them from winter guard programs etc...You can look at it...Why would a high achiever (we know who these folks are) want to work and learn with the best heart surgeon in the world? I think the answer is quite obvious...and high achievers know who these folks are for that matter....

I guess we need to have faith in the abilities of the newer generation and one could say the Cadets tapped out the talent of their old staff as the corps has been stuck in the 3-4 range for years. Maybe some young superstars will add the creative boost they've needed. Same with Crown, 2016 was my least favorite Crown show in a long time. Great performance level but meh. Maybe the younger hungry newbies can add some spark there also. Edited by Tobias

I guess we need to have faith in the abilities of the newer generation and one could say the Cadets tapped out the talent of their old staff as the corps has been stuck in the 3-4 range for years. Maybe some young superstars will add the creative boost they've needed. Same with Crown, 2016 was my least favorite Crown show in a long time. Great performance level but meh. Maybe the younger hungry newbies can add some spark there also.

Tobias, how quickly you disregard a Sanford 3 years ago and an Ott 2 years ago.

Perhaps it's not the staff's talent which has been tapped out. I almost never heard Cadet MMs complain in the past few years about either Colin, Jeff, or Gino. Other tech names, yes. But almost never these 3. The techs tenure at BAC will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Tobias, how quickly you disregard a Sanford 3 years ago and an Ott 2 years ago.

Perhaps it's not the staff's talent which has been tapped out. I almost never heard Cadet MMs complain in the past few years about either Colin, Jeff, or Gino. Other tech names, yes. But almost never these 3. The techs tenure at BAC will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

My point was the number of championships and top 3 finishes has decreased substantially in the past decade and perhaps some new blood isn't a bad thing.

No doubt working with Hopkins takes a mental toll, no matter the success. Frankly I'm surprised the core peeps stick around as long as they do. I always assumed they were paid well enough to make it worthwhile lol. But everyone has limits.

now i get to say you're probably correct. BAC is looking to change what "well enough" means. it's going to be a very interesting experiment in Floridachussets this season.

I guess we need to have faith in the abilities of the newer generation and one could say the Cadets tapped out the talent of their old staff as the corps has been stuck in the 3-4 range for years. Maybe some young superstars will add the creative boost they've needed. Same with Crown, 2016 was my least favorite Crown show in a long time. Great performance level but meh. Maybe the younger hungry newbies can add some spark there also.

Funny, from a show standpoint 2016 is one of my favorites.

Funny, from a show standpoint 2016 is one of my favorites.

Me too. But -- they had me at the GBU whistle. Big fan of the movie, the composer, the genre, and of course Clint.

I don't think anyone could have imagined Crown doing a Western. I hope they keep surprising us!