Carolina Crown 2017

i'v been out of it for awhile

just found out sacktig is with crown

not bad. not bad at all

I'm still bummed out that Jeff didn't go back to Cadets, but I am extremely excited to see what he does with Crown.

• Like 2

With Jeff and Leon both at new starts, perhaps they will also be trying different approaches from that which they have mastered with the corps they have designed for previously. Bands that they write for aren't Cadets or Crown clones. These 2017 opportunities may give them a chance to break into something new too.

• 2 weeks later...

acoustic drum corps!

(it's not all exercises -- jump to 2:50)

It's amazing the ridiculous bodywork they require brass players to go through (DCI not Crown) but what a delicious brass line.

It's amazing the ridiculous bodywork they require brass players to go through (DCI not Crown) but what a delicious brass line.

i truly enjoy the final product Crown puts on the field. but I love going to rehearsal and hearing that brass line without any other contributions. magnificent.

and it's maybe a week or so out from finals and Matt is in the weeds teaching fundamentals :-)

You forget DCI IS the corps . SO it seems it's exactly what they want to do . It also makes a very visual medium imo much more interesting....especially when done well like Crown and some others.

I do agree ...quite amazing!

Edited by GUARDLING

i truly enjoy the final product Crown puts on the field. but I love going to rehearsal and hearing that brass line without any other contributions. magnificent.

and it's maybe a week or so out from finals and Matt is in the weeds teaching fundamentals :-)

They do it all well but Matt is probably like "seriously, do they really need to do that playing a run?"... but yes Crown has become a powerhouse doing all things very well.

They do it all well but Matt is probably like "seriously, do they really need to do that playing a run?"... but yes Crown has become a powerhouse doing all things very well.

you would think that (so many "brass guys" do) but instead he preaches just the opposite. it's ALL about moving and playing. all of his rehearsal techniques are meant to bring success while moving -- not while standing still. even when they stand still, he's creating listening environments that relate to the field.

sure when he puts on his concert band director hat things are different. but his approach to brass in drum corps embraces movement tenaciously.