Carolina Crown 2017

Just now, Cappybara said:

Alright let's not go that far. The singer has a gorgeous voice, I just don't think the implementation is very good. 

It's the transition of her singing a Broadway ballad to an aggressive, rhythmic piece that kills it for me. She appears to have become possessed after "For Good". 

• Like 3

Agree about how the vocals -they feel more forced than part of a natural ebb and flow considering up until the vocals begin,  I was way into the show. I agree she has a great voice though. I am not a drum corps purist.  I loved true Van Doren girl who sang for Troop in 2014, but I liked how it flowed as part of the show.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wog said:

It is not about a "negative adjective" towards the soloist but rather about the negative points hurdle that the current format of the soloist will cause (loss of points opportunity from GE and MUSIC).  The brand for Crown is the hornline and it is needed for Crown to place at the top.   That won't happen hiding behind the soloist. 

This.  She is talented, but with a hornline like Crown's you don't need to force or overdo the vocals. 

• Like 1

I know we're all talking about the vocalist, but this is my take on it, even though I mentioned it earlier...

Just cut her mic after the first chorus in "For Good" to let that hornline shine, and bring her back for "No One." Like I said earlier, the use of the vocalist in "No One" is great because she is treated as an instrument in an ensemble, not an actor.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Zerix said:

I've learned not to doubt their decisions.

I would tend to agree here. However, Keith Potter and the visual team are gone. The new guys are great, I'm sure, but they may not be on the same page like the other guys were. 

32 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Wishful thinking IMO. Turn off the music and there isn't much depth to that production. Singer wouldn't last a round on any talent show. Cavaliers are like a dog on the mailmans behind and I'm sure they will take a big bite very soon. 

Careful not to cut yourself on that edge

Our theater was overwhelmingly pro-Crown going in. They were undecided coming out.

Please someone post a screenshot of the singer with her hat on. It was over the top, slightly silly ... yet totally fit visually with what they were doing in the closer and felt "right."

Mike

• Like 1

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who thought Crown's vocalist was way out of balance with the horn line.  That said, she's a fine singer with good potential...though she suffers from "I don't know what to do with my hands" syndrome, which drives me nuts. Ugh. Hello bad community theater.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Forevergreen said:

This.  She is talented, but with a hornline like Crown's you don't need to force or overdo the vocals. 

As far as length of solos go, Carolina Crown probably does now set the DCI record here for the longest soloist performance in DCI history. Perhaps other DCI historians can tell us what Brass or Percussion, or Guard soloist performed their solo longer in DCI competition. I can not think of any DCI soloist performance that was longer anyway.  Other Corps have utilized singers before, but their solos not as long as hers.  And she is quite good, and very talented, imo ( although I wished she'd move more). So this soloist from Carolina Crown probably has now set the benchmark for the longest performer solo in DCI competition.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1