Carolina Crown 2017

17 hours ago, defeldus2 said:

They've had some green planks since day one for that but they reflect the light and end up not having the intended effect. I assume they'll do something about that before Indi. 

I also have my money on the white planks and triangle platforms forming a crown at "I KNOW YOU!".

What are the new props!?

I believe they are triangle/shapes that form the clear shako.

1 hour ago, ndrudy2013 said:

I think we'll have a good idea where the guard stands on Tuesday in Broken Arrow, but I do agree they need to clean up the drops..they still have 4 weeks to get the issues fixed.

Not trying to say the guard isn't fantastic, but given the complexity of this show I think its been a challenge logistically (placement on the field/staging wise) and that's where they've had their issues, From a visual and GE standpoint the field is still a bit of a mess, and the planks don't make a lot of sense in certain areas. Once they finish adding the rest of the props, my hope is that gets cleaned up and everything will start coming to life. The brass is still as good as they've ever been, though I feel like they can be pushed more. Despite the low percussion scores I agree with the sentiment that this is probably the best drumline Crown had had in a longtime (maybe ever), and their visual offering this season has taken a step in the right direction. Will this show win, I give in a slim chance to do that based on the competition this season. But they've taken an obscure offering and made in very entertaining. This is a very good season to be a Crown fan!

Saw the video from the Crown Clinic.   Crown does these clinics every year.   No one gets the fando response like Crown.   The kid's appreciation so sincere, it's very heartwaming to see.    These events create lifetime memories.    Congrats to Crown for doing these!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Not trying to say the guard isn't fantastic, but given the complexity of this show I think its been a challenge logistically (placement on the field/staging wise) and that's where they've had their issues, From a visual and GE standpoint the field is still a bit of a mess, and the planks don't make a lot of sense in certain areas. Once they finish adding the rest of the props, my hope is that gets cleaned up and everything will start coming to life. The brass is still as good as they've ever been, though I feel like they can be pushed more. Despite the low percussion scores I agree with the sentiment that this is probably the best drumline Crown had had in a longtime (maybe ever), and their visual offering this season has taken a step in the right direction. Will this show win, I give in a slim chance to do that based on the competition this season. But they've taken an obscure offering and made in very entertaining. This is a very good season to be a Crown fan!

I continue to be shocked at how singular and uniform Crown's brass sound is throughout the show, regardless of when and where they are playing. Or how they are marching. It's one big powerful blast. I know that's sort of their thing, but this year it is particularly amazing how consistent it is.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

I continue to be shocked at how singular and uniform Crown's brass sound is throughout the show, regardless of when and where they are playing. Or how they are marching. It's one big powerful blast. I know that's sort of their thing, but this year it is particularly amazing how consistent it is.

A plus and a minus-- I think the show needs more variety in timbre and texture

• Like 4

23 hours ago, turntpapa said:

I'm waiting to see what the hype over the new prop(s) results in...

A few days ago on their twitter page they were hinting at using a tarp like they did in 2015 that says "I know you". Idk if they'll actually use it but if they did that would be super cool! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thatoneguy285 said:

A few days ago on their twitter page they were hinting at using a tarp like they did in 2015 that says "I know you". Idk if they'll actually use it but if they did that would be super cool! 

I took it as a joke at first but the idea of it actually sounds cool. Either way I don't think it's real :/

6 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Saw the video from the Crown Clinic.   Crown does these clinics every year.   No one gets the fando response like Crown.   The kid's appreciation so sincere, it's very heartwaming to see.    These events create lifetime memories.    Congrats to Crown for doing these!

Those kids are super lucky to be able to not only hear that Crown sound live and up close, but to also work with them as well. Definitely a once in a lifetime type of experience! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MikeRapp said:

the better drill is helping - he knows how to stage and the step sizes to use for different tempos etc

the drill is a mile ahead of anything Crown has had recently IMO. Really helping the brass and percussion, not just in the writing, but they are staged so well

• Like 2