Carolina Crown 2017

3 hours ago, Kevin. said:

That makes sense!  I always thought that 2009 was the most Cadets-esq design they've put out. 

Um ok

It was a brilliant design and the last two weeks the corps rapidly improved 

• Like 1

Just now, Kevin. said:

Agree!  I was just joking with you. Copland did contribute to a Cadets-like feel. 

And I wanted 2012 to win 

4 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

And I wanted 2012 to win 

Me too.  Just too difficult to clean that beast of a show.  They could never seem to get those bass drums spread across the field in sync.  I often wish Crown would move back towards that "superman," run and gun design.  This year's SCV show reminds me most of Crown 2012

Edited by Kevin.

1 hour ago, UKSuperman said:

2009 should've won. Along with 2012 and 2015.

I'll give you 2009. I thought Crown should have won. Loved Cadets too that year. 

I also felt Crown should have won back-to-back in 2012 & 2013. The 2012 Devils is not one of my favorite shows. They were clean, but also chopped up and hard to follow. They got the judges to buy in and did not deserve the GE scores they got.

Now, as for 2015, to me the Blue Devils were the best designed and performed show come finals. It just came together. One of my favorite BD shows!  Crown was awesome in 2015, and I especially loved their music (so Phantom Regiment like). But I did not care for the uniform, and I felt it hurt the look and feel of the corps once they changed the closer to a happier "escaping to heaven" feel with the sound of the glorified music. I get that Crown did not march a good finals show, and they did wonders that summer to make corrections to that closer. They darn near made it perfect, but once BD cleaned enough and also found the right closer for their show I just feel BD was the better corps. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, B-Flat said:

Did you make it to rehearsal? If so, thoughts?

Alright, so I did make it!  Missouri is the hottest place on the planet.  I stayed for all five hours of rehearsal.  I watched the hornline block for two hours, which was mainly measure by measure cleaning.  Glad I went though, anytime with CrownBRASS is a win, even if my ears have mini overtones for the next four hours.  The stands were PACKED.  Huge crowd for a rehearsal.  For the record, I hadnt really payed much attention to the visual package since preseason and the premier, so I dont really know of any changes.  I mostly had the HornlineFanatic video on repeat.  The hornline was fantastic!  I heard Medea's opening hit last year, and I actually thought this one was a considerable step up.  The hit was TREMENDOUSLY loud.  I honestly cant describe it.  The whole thing was pretty great.  I think they sold me on the singer in their show, but I still dont think Im sold on the concept as a whole.  The singer was terrific last night.  Im not a percussion guy, but even I can tell their percussion is already a LARGE step up from last year.  Lots of new material everywhere.  There is a reprise of the opening hit in the closer after the I KNOW YOU portion.  There was another one slightly earlier.  My only issue with the show now, is I dont hear any fast mello licks in the hits ala 2014, 2013, and 2012.  Hopefully that will change as the season goes on though.  Just being at rehearsal though, you could just tell everyone in that corps was giving it their all, and you could tell they were doing everything they could to get more energy into that show, and it was noticeable.  Im SUPER glad I made the trip, and I definitely think they are an Ott contender as well as a medalist.  If you have any other questions I didnt mention, feel free to ask!

• Like 4

21 hours ago, B-Flat said:

Can someone who has seen the tarps explain how they are using them and when In the show?

As of right now, the tarp is rolled out during the closer, then disassembled to further compliment the deconstruction theme.  

• Like 1

Watching a vid from last night I've seen more changes, mostly within in the guard! The males who dance with the female dancers in the ballad spin sabre now with the dancers. Split flags in no one to know one have new work around the tarp that gets rolled out. Some new percussion writing in No one to know one! Also some musical additions to No one to know one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flguardman said:

Watching a vid from last night I've seen more changes, mostly within in the guard! The males who dance with the female dancers in the ballad spin sabre now with the dancers. Split flags in no one to know one have new work around the tarp that gets rolled out. Some new percussion writing in No one to know one! Also some musical additions to No one to know one.

I also saw the rifles being deconstructed during no one to know one. 

27 minutes ago, Dpsouthern81 said:

I also saw the rifles being deconstructed during no one to know one. 

Yes that too! That was really neat how the rifles snap in half and the dancers spin the other half and then give it back to the rifles and it snaps back together.

Edited by Flguardman
  • Like 1