Carolina Crown 2017

What disappoints me the most with this show are the extremely abrupt transitions between musical material. From a corps that gave us the Promise of Living transition in 2009 (one of my favorites ever), seeing such jarring shifts from one piece to the next (e.g. "I KNOW YOU" then BAM suddenly Bach from Akiho with no other transitory material) is a huge letdown in terms of what I'm seeing vs. what I know the design staff is capable of.

15 minutes ago, pudding said:

What disappoints me the most with this show are the extremely abrupt transitions between musical material. From a corps that gave us the Promise of Living transition in 2009 (one of my favorites ever), seeing such jarring shifts from one piece to the next (e.g. "I KNOW YOU" then BAM suddenly Bach from Akiho with no other transitory material) is a huge letdown in terms of what I'm seeing vs. what I know the design staff is capable of.

It could be their intent with the deconstruction theme to not make everything normal and make you feel uncomfortable. We won't truly know until after Atlanta and seeing the whole package or even up till Indy!

You can't just do anything and call it deconstruction. This is a huge misconception with the art of deconstruction, not just in drum corps but in all fields (most notably in the culinary and visual art worlds). A true deconstruction needs to be a deliberate breakdown of elements, and, having done a breakdown, a reconstruction of the elements into a cohesive form that resembles the original product while placing more emphasis on the individual elements than the gestalt, but which still works when taken as a whole. In the language of drum corps, with specific regard toward this show, I feel that Crown did an adequate job of breaking down into elements and emphasizing them, but did not succeed at the reconstruction, nor at observing the composition of the elements into a holistic entity.

• Like 2

To each their own! Art can be whatever you want it to be whether you think it's right or wrong!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Flguardman said:

To each their own! Art can be whatever you want it to be whether you think it's right or wrong!

This is the definition of art that best applies to personal appreciation of artistic work; in other words, it's totally fine for an individual to like or not like any given thing as art, and they do not need to justify their artistic experience to anyone except themselves.

However, many artistic expressions, such as performance art like drum corps, require a connection between the artist(s) and the observer(s). In this case, the artists are the show designers, and the observers are the judges and the audience (the performers are also artists, but not in the sense of show design. Their artistry is much more in the realm of experiential art). In this type of art, the artist is required to communicate an idea to the observer, and needs to do so in a common language. If the artist decides to use a label for their art, then they must use a common definition for that label. Since Crown's designers chose to use "Deconstruction" as their artistic label, they must follow the rules of Deconstruction.

Edited by pudding
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, pudding said:

This is the definition of art that best applies to personal appreciation of artistic work; in other words, it's totally fine for an individual to like or not like any given thing as art, and they do not need to justify their artistic experience to anyone except themselves.

However, many artistic expressions, such as performance art like drum corps, require a connection between the artist(s) and the observer(s). In this case, the artists are the show designers, and the observers are the judges and the audience (the performers are also artists, but not in the sense of show design. Their artistry is much more in the realm of experiential art). In this type of art, the artist is required to communicate an idea to the observer, and needs to do so in a common language. If the artist decides to use a label for their art, then they must use a common definition for that label. Since Crown's designers chose to use "Deconstruction" as their artistic label, they must follow the rules of Deconstruction.

Well if everyone followed the rules the world would be a very different place.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BoaDci said:

Alright, so I did make it!  Missouri is the hottest place on the planet.  I stayed for all five hours of rehearsal.  I watched the hornline block for two hours, which was mainly measure by measure cleaning.  Glad I went though, anytime with CrownBRASS is a win, even if my ears have mini overtones for the next four hours.  The stands were PACKED.  Huge crowd for a rehearsal.  For the record, I hadnt really payed much attention to the visual package since preseason and the premier, so I dont really know of any changes.  I mostly had the HornlineFanatic video on repeat.  The hornline was fantastic!  I heard Medea's opening hit last year, and I actually thought this one was a considerable step up.  The hit was TREMENDOUSLY loud.  I honestly cant describe it.  The whole thing was pretty great.  I think they sold me on the singer in their show, but I still dont think Im sold on the concept as a whole.  The singer was terrific last night.  Im not a percussion guy, but even I can tell their percussion is already a LARGE step up from last year.  Lots of new material everywhere.  There is a reprise of the opening hit in the closer after the I KNOW YOU portion.  There was another one slightly earlier.  My only issue with the show now, is I dont hear any fast mello licks in the hits ala 2014, 2013, and 2012.  Hopefully that will change as the season goes on though.  Just being at rehearsal though, you could just tell everyone in that corps was giving it their all, and you could tell they were doing everything they could to get more energy into that show, and it was noticeable.  Im SUPER glad I made the trip, and I definitely think they are an Ott contender as well as a medalist.  If you have any other questions I didnt mention, feel free to ask!

It would be so be cool if they added the doodily dooo doodily doodily doodily doooo mello lick :D

• Like 5

2 hours ago, pudding said:

You're taking it a bit literal. Who says there are rules and who says Crown has to follow them in a drum corps show?

Edited by defeldus2
  • Like 5

Some people are finding anything to complain about in this show. Literally whatever they can find. Like people are trying to hate this show. It's whatever. If you don't like it, move on to the next corps. These "haters" are slowly starting to become the minority here. Starting to think the people who absolutely hate it are the ones who haven't seen it live. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, UKSuperman said:

Some people are finding anything to complain about in this show. Literally whatever they can find. Like people are trying to hate this show. It's whatever. If you don't like it, move on to the next corps. These "haters" are slowly starting to become the minority here. Starting to think the people who absolutely hate it are the ones who haven't seen it live. 

On the flip side, we have people who will defend anything their home team does, regardless of its flaw or drawbacks.

I'm as big a fan of Crown as anyone (2008, 2009, and 2013 are some of my favorite shows), but I'm also not afraid to call a spade a spade and call out problems when I see them. I'll also call out Spirit of Atlanta and the Bluecoats when they have problems, even though I performed with those groups, because that's what it means to be critical fan instead of a blind fanatic.

• Like 1