Carolina Crown 2017

8 minutes ago, Just Here said:

I'll go with Sideways. There is very little deconstructive about this show concept at all. It is an irony to me that a show whose central feature is supposedly about deconstruction book ends the show with the least deconstructive piece in the show (i.e., fugue).

Because it's about moving forward in drum corps without forgetting the past. Hence the "I know you" scream. 

The big question is, what are they gonna do about this guard...? 

There is very little they can change about the program at this point. All they can do is clean what they have. A choice could be to simplify the guard design, but it would be very difficult indeed. 

On the response UKSuperman, in my opinion, there just isn't much deconstruction here musically or otherwise. It's not a member performance problem at all, but one of programming design for me.

Seeing them in Nashville, from the eighth row, I thought they did a great job, but they had a lot of drops. I wasn't really even watching the guard all that much and counted five drops. That's a lot of drops for a potential medalist this late in the season. 

The other thing is, honestly, there are some other corps that are just dominating the field with their guard program. Cavaliers, Bluecoats, Blue Devils, Boston and Cadets are just amazing with their guard books this year. 

11 minutes ago, Just Here said:

There is very little they can change about the program at this point. All they can do is clean what they have. A choice could be to simplify the guard design, but it would be very difficult indeed. 

On the response UKSuperman, in my opinion, there just isn't much deconstruction here musically or otherwise. It's not a member performance problem at all, but one of programming design for me.

You're in the minority now. The deconstruction theme is there. You have to want to see it. Otherwise it just comes across as another crazy design. It's there. I see it. My mother who has no musical background could see it. My friend that I took to DCI NKY who has no prior knowledge of drum corps could see it. Even a friend of mine who despises Crown thinks the theme is genius and is in "like" more and more with each time he sees the show.  I think the people who don't see it don't want to see it honestly. 

• Like 1

Just now, MikeRapp said:

Seeing them in Nashville, from the eighth row, I thought they did a great job, but they had a lot of drops. I wasn't really even watching the guard all that much and counted five drops. That's a lot of drops for a potential medalist this late in the season. 

The other thing is, honestly, there are some other corps that are just dominating the field with their guard program. Cavaliers, Bluecoats, Blue Devils, Boston and Cadets are just amazing with their guard books this year. 

I firmly believe that this guard is what's keeping them on 3rd place island. I honestly don't understand why there are so many drops. Are they being careless on the field? Unknown the staff has been grilling them, and the work that they have isn't anywhere near the difficulty as say last year or 2015. I'm honestly at a lost for words for this guard this year. Regardless of a rebuilding year or not, there shouldn't be this many drops by a 3rd place corps. 

• Like 2

Just now, UKSuperman said:

I firmly believe that this guard is what's keeping them on 3rd place island. I honestly don't understand why there are so many drops. Are they being careless on the field? Unknown the staff has been grilling them, and the work that they have isn't anywhere near the difficulty as say last year or 2015. I'm honestly at a lost for words for this guard this year. Regardless of a rebuilding year or not, there shouldn't be this many drops by a 3rd place corps. 

They look young compared to past years. They just don't have the confidence of a more experienced corps. They were terrific in Nashville, but the drops were obvious. A lot were rifle drops, particularly when they split the rifle in two. I don't really get that idea anyway, it destroys the visual effect of rifles, but whatever. 

My beef is with their show concept. Crown has been the cleanest corps all year long, but I just don't care for their show concept at all. But the judges obviously disagree!

Crown can't catch SCV or BD now. Their job is to somehow hold off Bluecoats, who will get huge crowd responses in the Indy dome.

2 minutes ago, MikeRapp said:

They look young compared to past years. They just don't have the confidence of a more experienced corps. They were terrific in Nashville, but the drops were obvious. A lot were rifle drops, particularly when they split the rifle in two. I don't really get that idea anyway, it destroys the visual effect of rifles, but whatever. 

My beef is with their show concept. Crown has been the cleanest corps all year long, but I just don't care for their show concept at all. But the judges obviously disagree!

Crown can't catch SCV or BD now. Their job is to somehow hold off Bluecoats, who will get huge crowd responses in the Indy dome.

I disagree. They're right there with SCV and BD in the other captions. If they could figure out how to get that guard to get it together, they could catch up. That guard is the only thing keeping them from moving up. Never thought I'd say those words. 

• Like 1

Just now, Just Here said:

"My beef is with their show concept. Crown has been the cleanest corps all year long, but I just don't care for their show concept at all." - MikeRapp

Agreed.

The show just does not represent a recognizable form of formal deconstruction musically.

This show is anything but formal, and it's meant to be that way. Just saying... 

Not going to beat a dead horse, UKSuperman. The only exciting piece for me is the last one. The rest of it bores me. Of course, the members perform the show very well, but there is nothing really dynamic about the show design concept for me. I can be in the minority and I'm fine with this, but it seems when the Crown design team doesn't know how to end a show, they generally book end. It is predictable and boring this season in my opinion. The only reason this show is scoring as well as it is has to do with the talent of the membership.

• Like 1