Carolina Crown 2017

12 minutes ago, UKSuperman said:

I disagree. They're right there with SCV and BD in the other captions. If they could figure out how to get that guard to get it together, they could catch up. That guard is the only thing keeping them from moving up. Never thought I'd say those words. 

Joey Powell is in his first year EVER as a caption head, and is young; similar to how Mike Townsend was when he arrived at Crown. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt this year.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, Just Here said:

Not going to beat a dead horse, UKSuperman. The only exciting piece for me is the last one. The rest of it bores me. Of course, the members perform the show very well, but there is nothing really dynamic about the show design concept for me. I can be in the minority and I'm fine with this, but it seems when the Crown design team doesn't know how to end a show, they generally book end. It is predictable and boring this season in my opinion. The only reason this show is scoring as well as it is has to do with the talent of the membership.

Yeah, because being 2nd and 3rd in GE has to do with the talent and membership. To each their own I guess, but just because the show doesn't work for you personally doesn't mean it doesn't work period. Blue Devils never works for me but it does work. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, c.l. said:

Joey Powell is in his first year EVER as a caption head, and is young; similar to how Mike Townsend was when he arrived at Crown. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt this year.

Benefit of the doubt was last month for me. This month there is absolutely no excuse. I know he's doing his job because he was getting on them at the rehearsal I attended. This guard is gonna hold a corps back that could otherwise be a potential gold medalist. 

It is a shame the guard staff left ... if the guard was scoring as they have in years past Crown would (most likely) be on top overall...

especially since percussion scores are much higher this year than they have been lately...

• Like 4

As a guard person and have heard from tapes it's not mainly about drops it is about design. The guard over all is getting lost within the corps a lot. Most of that is due to color choices with staging, but it does go both ways. The kids much achieve what is given to them and the staff must write well to the staging and musical book! If it was about drops BD would not be in the top 2 right now and some times cavies or some of the guards above them. Come Indy yes you better believe you must have a hell of a run.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Flguardman said:

The guard over all is getting lost within the corps a lot. 

Yes, that sums it up.  They are not staged as the stars of the show.  

They are rather like gremlins, sneaking around and doing prankish things to the field.

I rather like how they integrate them with the corps instead of them sticking out in the background. Also, if I understand the scoring procedure correctly, their achievement scores are also putting them in 6th place, so clearly their performances are equal to the staging in hindering them. If they could get those achievement scores up they might move up a spot or 2 in the rankings and boost the corps as a whole further up. 

4 hours ago, UKSuperman said:

Benefit of the doubt was last month for me. This month there is absolutely no excuse. I know he's doing his job because he was getting on them at the rehearsal I attended. This guard is gonna hold a corps back that could otherwise be a potential gold medalist. 

so many types of harsh

Edited by cowtown
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cowtown said:

so many types of harsh

Eh, people said the same thing about the percussion for years. 

• Like 1