Carolina Crown 2017

Big shout out to the Crown Percussion for last night... great run and I love the book this year!!

• Like 4

Being at NightBEAT and centerline... the whole second half of the vocals seemed way overshadowed by the brass/percussion in terms of volume (not that I mind that) but this does bring up the issue of the vocals now getting "lost" and loses the effect maybe.  

Also I agree with others the visual color scheme blends too much green and compared to other groups just does not pop for any cool effect. White/grey boards and green uniforms  just too neutral for really any interest.   

GE good...Brass/Percussion good... Visual package design is the limiter and I feel 3rd is the ceiling for this show. (My thoughts SCV, BD, Crown, Coats)

• Like 1

On 7/31/2017 at 10:15 AM, UKSuperman said:

I disagree. They're right there with SCV and BD in the other captions. If they could figure out how to get that guard to get it together, they could catch up. That guard is the only thing keeping them from moving up. Never thought I'd say those words. 

True.    At NightBeat, Crown was 1.45 overall from the top .    1 full point of that was guard, while 1/2 point in GE.  Guard bleeds into GE.  So, there you have it.   

As for the show, Crown isn't done.  Look for some change by Alllentown (fingers crossed).

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 2

Just now, drumcorpsfever said:

As for the show, Crown isn't done.  Look for some change by Alllentown.

May all the other corps get the fans excited by having their final changes done by this Fri. and Sat.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

True.    At NightBeat, Crown was 1.45 overall from the top .    1 full point of that was guard, while 1/2 point in GE.  Guard bleeds into GE.  So, there you have it.   

As for the show, Crown isn't done.  Look for some change by Alllentown (fingers crossed).

There has to be something they can do. Regardless of their confidence or lack there of, I know plenty of high schools who have about the same difficulty of work and don't have the confidence but perform without dropping. There's something they can do, dont know what, but hopefully they can figure it out soon. Part of it may be the uniforms, but the uniforms aren't going to cause that big of a drop. 

I finally got to see Crown live last night in Salem, VA.  As always, phenonemal brass.  I would also say this drumline is tied with '09 as their best ever.  I don't know much about colorguard but I didn't see any drops and they seemed in time.  

The show is great musically and visually.  I just sense a lack of connection with the audience as mentioned before.  When the show was over, there was hesitation before the initial applause.  In comparison, Boston had people standing on the cut off.  I'm almost certain that is not the final closer.  Also, I miss the old Crown already.  Lastly, the vocals really add to "For Good".  "No One" gets a little tiresome.  I'm very familiar with the source material and enjoy it.  I just don't think it translates well to the field.  That's on the piece, not the corps.    

Overall very impressive show, I do like it.  However, they still have some work to do in the short period of time left if they want to make a connection with the audience at the last minute.  I'm just thankful in a way the judges are liking it so they don't have an off year in the rankings.     

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Mac13 said:

I finally got to see Crown live last night in Salem, VA.  As always, phenonemal brass.  I would also say this drumline is tied with '09 as their best ever.  I don't know much about colorguard but I didn't see any drops and they seemed in time.  

The show is great musically and visually.  I just sense a lack of connection with the audience as mentioned before.  When the show was over, there was hesitation before the initial applause.  In comparison, Boston had people standing on the cut off.  I'm almost certain that is not the final closer.  Also, I miss the old Crown already.  Lastly, the vocals really add to "For Good".  "No One" gets a little tiresome.  I'm very familiar with the source material and enjoy it.  I just don't think it translates well to the field.  That's on the piece, not the corps.    

Overall very impressive show, I do like it.  However, they still have some work to do in the short period of time left if they want to make a connection with the audience at the last minute.  I'm just thankful in a way the judges are liking it so they don't have an off year in the rankings.     

I just watched a video of Crown from Salem and the guard was still  a little sloppy(drops, flags not in time) in a few spots IMO, not sure what's going on with them but hopefully they can lock down and really clean up over the next 10 days. Also, I hope a new ending was added, since they have been off yesterday and today, and will reveal it either tomorrow in Chester or Saturday in Allentown, I'll be at both shows, yippie..The current ending is very blah for me and I really like this show so they need a killer ending. I agree the show is great musically and visually so I don't see why some people find it boring, it's far from boring for me personally..they just need to max this show out in Indy to stay in medal contention or that corps from Canton might take the medal away. 

On 7/31/2017 at 10:23 AM, Just Here said:

The only reason this show is scoring as well as it is has to do with the talent of the membership.

Agree. Very much like 2015 Cadets 

On 7/31/2017 at 10:47 AM, UKSuperman said:

Yeah, because being 2nd and 3rd in GE has to do with the talent and membership. To each their own I guess, but just because the show doesn't work for you personally doesn't mean it doesn't work period. Blue Devils never works for me but it does work. 

GE is half performance ya know 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2017 at 5:59 PM, Wog said:

Being at NightBEAT and centerline... the whole second half of the vocals seemed way overshadowed by the brass/percussion in terms of volume (not that I mind that) but this does bring up the issue of the vocals now getting "lost" and loses the effect maybe.  

Also I agree with others the visual color scheme blends too much green and compared to other groups just does not pop for any cool effect. White/grey boards and green uniforms  just too neutral for really any interest.   

GE good...Brass/Percussion good... Visual package design is the limiter and I feel 3rd is the ceiling for this show. (My thoughts SCV, BD, Crown, Coats)

Same thing in Nashville...but then the audio for most corps was a #### show in Nashville.