Carolina Crown 2017

Saw Crown in the theatre last night and I have a question regarding their ending. Does the final chord transition from 100% brass to 100% electronics? Or was this just the mixing for the theatre broadcast? I had trouble deciphering whether it was a purposeful synth doubling of the chord versus a "futuristic" transition. 

2 minutes ago, KRtrumpet182 said:

Saw Crown in the theatre last night and I have a question regarding their ending. Does the final chord transition from 100% brass to 100% electronics? Or was this just the mixing for the theatre broadcast? I had trouble deciphering whether it was a purposeful synth doubling of the chord versus a "futuristic" transition. 

I saw it in Massillon and I am sure it was all brass.

Great performance tonight!  I was sitting pretty low so couldn't see what was going on at the end when everyone ran to the end zone.  First time Ive seen a Crown show that did not evoke a standing ovation.  People started to stand, then sat back down when the percussion started, then it ended and everyone just sort of sat, confused I guess.   The ending is sort of cool, but it's a real buzz kill.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wigwam said:

Great performance tonight!  I was sitting pretty low so couldn't see what was going on at the end when everyone ran to the end zone.  First time Ive seen a Crown show that did not evoke a standing ovation.  People started to stand, then sat back down when the percussion started, then it ended and everyone just sort of sat, confused I guess.   The ending is sort of cool, but it's a real buzz kill.  

Agreed, total buzzkill and just confusing. Everyone in my theatre last night was scratching their heads (even the parents of some Crown members who hadn't seen the new ending yet). I want to be left with a blow-your-face-off Crown brass sound! (sans synth...)

• Like 1

It's an artistic ending that is anti-climatic and nothing that the majority of DCI fans wish to see, which is again seems to suggest that ego is more important to the design process this year than is entertaining people in the stands. It's frustrating to see this kind of talent lose a legitimate chance at the title because of this year's design and show concept.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, wigwam said:

Quiet endings aren't going to get the same kind of "all at one moment" crowd reaction that big endings get, but that doesn't mean the audience didn't enjoy the show overall.  That said, I think SCV in 2004 kind of managed to pull off a double ending that worked both ways, with a big finish that wasn't quite the finish and then a soft finish that was.

Perhaps Crown should not discourage a big reaction to the pre-ending climax.  Give the crowd time to cheer.  Maybe have the drum major turn around and recognize the crowd, maybe a fist pump or two.  Outstretched arm to recognize the corps.  Then hold up a "one more thing" finger, turn around and bring the quiet ending home.

1 minute ago, skevinp said:

Quiet endings aren't going to get the same kind of "all at one moment" crowd reaction that big endings get, but that doesn't mean the audience didn't enjoy the show overall.  That said, I think SCV in 2004 kind of managed to pull off a double ending that worked both ways, with a big finish that wasn't quite the finish and then a soft finish that was.

Perhaps Crown should not discourage a big reaction to the pre-ending climax.  Give the crowd time to cheer.  Maybe have the drum major turn around and recognize the crowd, maybe a fist pump or two.  Outstretched arm to recognize the corps.  Then hold up a "one more thing" finger, turn around and bring the quiet ending home.

Aren't they already doing this?

1 hour ago, Just Here said:

It's an artistic ending that is anti-climatic and nothing that the majority of DCI fans wish to see, which is again seems to suggest that ego is more important to the design process this year than is entertaining people in the stands. It's frustrating to see this kind of talent lose a legitimate chance at the title because of this year's design and show concept.

Or, maybe they're just trying something different. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Or, maybe they're just trying something different. 

They are allowed to do something different, but I won't pay to see it. You now seem to be trolling me, which is fine but if people read my comments versus yours they will find that I offer reasons for my objections to this show to your overly passionate keyboarding that do not address my critiques in any significant fashion. This is my last response to you.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Just Here said:

They are allowed to do something different, but I won't pay to see it. You now seem to be trolling me, which is fine but if people read my comments versus yours they will find that I offer reasons for my objections to this show to your overly passionate keyboarding that do not address my critiques in any significant fashion. This is my last response to you.

Muah! I love you too man. 

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 2