Carolina Crown 2017

36 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

It would be interesting to hear what, if any investigation, turns up on the issue. I'd have to believe that all of these electronic issues will be addressed in order to improve the use of the technology going forward. If you're right about Cell traffic not interfering with a wireless mic, that's interesting. I wonder if it can be ruled out. Consider that on airplanes, travelers are required to turn off mobile devices so as not to disturb the radio frequency. And, is it just a coincidence that the mic issues for Crown got progressively worse the larger the crowd they performed in at Indy? Makes one wonder...

I hope it will be investigated too, for the benefit of all corps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

I hope it will be investigated too, for the benefit of all corps.

Most everyone knows that cell phones have no effect whatsoever on air control communications.

• Like 1

Interesting article to Google search.  I know firsthand the horrors of GSM buzz.  I played electric bass in the pit of a local Little Theater.  Every time someone's phone received a call, I would get this bip-bip-bip-bip sound in my amp and I was using high end shielded cables.

http://blog.rfvenue.com/2015/05/04/do-cellphones-and-wifi-interfere-with-wireless-audio-equipment

On 8/13/2017 at 11:24 AM, drumcorpsfever said:

Interesting that the finals run was actually the 4th run at Lucas Oil Stadium,   Crown was here at the kickoff in June. You would think that, all things considered, they'd have been prepared for this one - my guess is they were. Four cracks at it to make it perfect. That said, I wonder what effect the size of the crowd and their electronic devices may have had on the interference. 

Live and learn. The good thing is the overall scoring and placement impact of this one really didn't hurt the kids. As for the Blu Ray, Tom Moore and his crew will do wonders for the "It Is" blu ray edition.

Simple solution for DVD/CD release, just use Thursday's show. 

• Like 1

When we run events our biggest fear is someone interfering with our microphone frequency. We make sure to have a master sheet of frequencies and anyone using a wireless mic must adhere to staying on their particular frequencies. It could have been that someone close by could have been using the same frequency or could have been an antenna issues. I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but Anna approached the sound tech as the DM was saluting the crowd, so the in my mind they knew they had an issue before the show started. 

Edited by Newseditor44
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2017 at 2:07 PM, wilme861 said:

And when would she have gone and got the backup? In the middle of the performance sometime? Anna didn't have a "break" to go get a new mic.

The microphones are small. She could have been given two... and done her best to switch them. It would have been better than what happened. 

17 hours ago, skevinp said:

I said absolutely nothing whatsoever about air control communications.

Theres still time.