Carolina Crown 2017

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Just to add, Bluecoats use of the slides, the use of speakers throughout the football field to create a new soundscape, the use of a giant tilted border around the football field, these are all pushing the boundaries of what has been done in the marching arts. 

Singing? Been done, and been done in a more effective and tasteful manner before (By Crown themselves too in 2013 and 2014!). Dedicating 5 minutes of your show to a singer being the main feature over your strongest asset (the hornline) in the hopes of "pushing boundaries" and "deconstructing" the future of DCI will do nothing but push the audience's patience. 

Singing has been done and will continue to evolve (Cadets are going to test that this year).  All I'm saying is IT IS June 19!  If you think it's a gimmick (either good or bad), I can't change your view.  Tough to really judge the singing or show concept at this pointt (especially when a minute of the show is not even on the field yet).  You may not like it now but I'm sure their creative team will be tweaking and cleaning all summer and the product we see in late July and early August will more than likely look far different than their preview show on June 18th.  

1 minute ago, chris7997 said:

Initially, my impressions of this show are less than enthusiastic.

But I feel like this show might grow on me.  It could turn out to be brilliant.  Kind of like BlueCoats Kinetic...it was at first..."what is going on?" And then later "WOW, that's brilliant."  

But concerns about this show...1) HATE the ethereal singing....2) The closer seems weak.  Except for the musical demands, "there's no interesting WOW moment..." visually.  It's just park and blow it seems at the end.  It doesn't seem to have that, "You've GOT to see this! interesting drill maneuver or exciting general effect."   Leave the audience wanting more visually.   Like in Kinetic ... the color guard member being lifted up on the sphere thing.  Something.  

I guarantee that's not the final closer, something more impressive will likely be added later in the season

• Like 2

GREAT!  Can't wait.

1 minute ago, CubFan said:

Singing has been done and will continue to evolve (Cadets are going to test that this year).  All I'm saying is IT IS June 19!  If you think it's a gimmick (either good or bad), I can't change your view.  Tough to really judge the singing or show concept at this pointt (especially when a minute of the show is not even on the field yet).  You may not like it now but I'm sure their creative team will be tweaking and cleaning all summer and the product we see in late July and early August will more than likely look far different than their preview show on June 18th.  

Big difference here, the singing is an accompaniment in the Cadets show. It's choir music that's setting the mood for the theme of "Mass." 

This is straight up from a Disney movie. 

But like you said, things can and probably will change.

The singing is a distraction (for me)... especially since she just appears out of the "grey"... half way through... and even more so during the "closer" (as it is thus far)...

Of course, we all know the show is FAR from finished, and she may very well be singing in the Radiohead - "preshow/dance on" which might tie it all together...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Big difference here, the singing is an accompaniment in the Cadets show. It's choir music that's setting the mood for the theme of "Mass." 

This is straight up from a Disney movie. 

But like you said, things can and probably will change.

Agree with you totally!  I'm hoping for some changes and I am fully expecting adjustments and tweaks!  I just see great potential in this show considering it's only June 19th.  Can't wait to see all the corps and see how the entire summer plays out.

Edited by CubFan

Don't do this to me Crown!!  your hornline is too good, too valuable, to become backup for a singer!  She has a nice quality in her voice.. but too much is too much!  and...  she's a little pitch-y..  just my un-solicited opinion.. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, dans said:

That hat is just silly! Uniform looks good though.

I have an improved version!!!! :tounge2:

z5ll38m3s6od4mz6g.jpg

• Like 3