Carolina Crown 2017

34 minutes ago, besson57 said:

I saw a couple things at Gardner Webb that make me think they're going to make her more visible. I think that's all I wanna' say for now. :)

Yes, I am sure they will make the soloist more visible.  Especially since she is out there singing and performing such a long time. Other than completely taking her out of the ballad, which is unlikely, I think I like seeing her out on the field performing, rather than just hearing a voice that's standing on the sideline, barely visible and/or clumped up with the pit. I am going to miss Crown's usual and beautiful Brass only ballads this year though.

I also felt bad for the girls focusing so hard to keep their skirts on and keep up with the ballad dancing. Extra Velcro or something is definitely needed there....LOL

But, as most have already said, it's only June 19th and we all know that the Crown we saw yesterday will look and sound totally different from this by the time of Southeastern Regionals in Atlanta.  That's usually when we see the glimpses of what finals is actually going to look like. 

5 minutes ago, bvgordy said:

I think I like seeing her out on the field performing, rather than just hearing a voice that's standing on the sideline, barely visible and/or clumped up with the pit.   

Boston did a nice job of keeping their vocal soloist active as a guard member in 15.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bvgordy said:

Yes, I am sure they will make the soloist more visible.  Especially since she is out there singing and performing such a long time. Other than completely taking her out of the ballad, which is unlikely, I think I like seeing her out on the field performing, rather than just hearing a voice that's standing on the sideline, barely visible and/or clumped up with the pit. I am going to miss Crown's usual and beautiful Brass only ballads this year though.

I also felt bad for the girls focusing so hard to keep their skirts on and keep up with the ballad dancing. Extra Velcro or something is definitely needed there....LOL

But, as most have already said, it's only June 19th and we all know that the Crown we saw yesterday will look and sound totally different from this by the time of Southeastern Regionals in Atlanta.  That's usually when we see the glimpses of what finals is actually going to look like. 

Are the southeastern regionals even still happening this year? 

9 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Are the southeastern regionals even still happening this year? 

Yes, it is happening. Not at the Georgia Dome. It's being held at McEachern High School in Powder Springs, Ga. this year.  I have already received my CrownBlock tickets for this event.

• Like 1

To those saying the ballad is from a Disney movie, do pray tell which Disney movie. Being a fan of both Disney and Wicked I believe I would know if it had been done by Disney. It hasn't. Disney is in the process of getting the rights to it,  but it's not a done deal because Universal is fighting Disney for them. It's like people calling Anastasia a Disney movie. It was 20th century fox. Stop calling Wicked a Disney movie when it hasn't even left the stage yet. 

Rant over. 

• Like 2

Singing can be done well and be a plus for helping with understanding the idea behind a show, but in this case, I think it is too much - especially with such a horn line as Crowns. I personally don't care for the Disneyesque ballad (those kinds of songs/lyrics make me cringe) but love the vocals in the Akiho piece (which could turn out to be my favorite Crown segment in years). In a 150 person group, I prefer not to hear any one soloist (vox, horn or perc) dominate the mix for so long.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, UKSuperman said:

To those saying the ballad is from a Disney movie, do pray tell which Disney movie. Being a fan of both Disney and Wicked I believe I would know if it had been done by Disney. It hasn't. Disney is in the process of getting the rights to it,  but it's not a done deal because Universal is fighting Disney for them. It's like people calling Anastasia a Disney movie. It was 20th century fox. Stop calling Wicked a Disney movie when it hasn't even left the stage yet. 

Rant over. 

I think the poster of the 'Disney" comparison was being metaphorical, not literal

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, UKSuperman said:

Rant over. 

Fair enough... but it sounds like a Disney song. That's the problem. JMO

• Like 4