Carolina Crown 2017

51 minutes ago, ShortAndFast said:

I really like the uniforms. They kind of have a BD vibe to them, but definitely still Crown and still a uniform rather than a costume.

The show itself ... seems a few steps back from where Crown started the past few years. It's much harder to see the overall storyline/shape to the show, and it seems to want for much more GE. I don't object to the vocalist per-se, but they need to re-think how much she is used. She's fine as a singer, but not nearly compelling enough to be featured for like 5 minutes.

I think one big thing that is throwing people off is this isn't the typical Crown show we've seen for the last few years. We're used to Crown telling a story that's pretty obvious to follow along with but that's not as much the direction that they went this year and I love that! The show still has a "story" in a sense that the show goes from a traditional type style of drum corps and transitions over the course of the show into a much more modern style but it's just...different than what we've seen from them before.

I personally love when corps go off and take a risk on doing something a little different (Bluecoats and BK of late) so I'm anxious to see what they end up doing with this show. 

3 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

I think one big thing that is throwing people off is this isn't the typical Crown show we've seen for the last few years. We're used to Crown telling a story that's pretty obvious to follow along with but that's not as much the direction that they went this year and I love that! The show still has a "story" in a sense that the show goes from a traditional type style of drum corps and transitions over the course of the show into a much more modern style but it's just...different than what we've seen from them before.

if the field manipulation stuff i'm hearing about is true, then it'll be different from what we've seen from anybody before

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Can’t say, too early

They look to be cleaner at this point than others I’ve seen, including BD so that bodes well.  

I agree that it's too early to tell, but I predict Crown's show can be top 2 in the end, as it is a musical and visual beast!

When I compare BLOO, BD, Crown, and SCV, it all comes down to comparing apples to oranges. My summary below is not all encompassing, but it is what I think of when I compare the corps.  Sometimes you prefer an apple, and other times an orange.  I think this is also present in the judging on what gets rewarded each season.

Bloo - has major strength in creating a fun playful field circus, they are usually fan favorites, and they score high in the General Effect because of it.  (favorite show: Kinetic Noise)

BD- strength is in artistic design, musicality, and color guard.  Rarely do they produce one of my favorite shows of the season, but sometimes they surprise me.(favorite show: Felliniesque)

Crown - strength is brass playing/writing theater at its best, color guard, and they are usually fan favorites. In my opinion Crown embodies more of the traditional DCI look and feel mixed with the new school funk. (favorite show: Inferno)

SCV- strength is strong and clear theatrical production with solid music/percussion.  Most of there shows are just well written and executed.  (favorite show: Les Miserables)

I'm not yet sold on any other corps breaking up the big 4 at the current moment, but I hear the Cavies and Cadets are going to try to dethrone one of these corps.  Time will tell us where this ends.

Edited by B-Flat

4 hours ago, ForTheCommonGood said:

I really don't understand a lot of the hate for the singing. 

You don't possibly see how someone would hate that a solo singer is playing over one of the best freaking hornlines in DCI? Okay.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, chris7997 said:

If it's light on GE, is that going to hurt them (esp. going up against hyper-GE Bluecoats?)  Let's get real here...what is this show likely to place?  

What does light on GE mean? What is "hyper-GE?" 

Does anyone other than the judges themselves truly understand what GE is, because I see "this show has a lot of GE!" thrown around a lot but I've never understood what is meant by this because no one really elaborates when they make these statements. 

Just now, Cappybara said:

You don't possibly see how someone would hate that a solo singer is playing over one of the best freaking hornlines in DCI? Okay.

Obviously, it's difficult to tell over video, but in person the mix between vocal and horns is actually quite good in person (I've seen it live 4 times now). They feel pretty equal, the singing isn't quite as overwhelming live as it would be recorded on a phone, which by the looks of it is where these videos were recorded. 

38 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

I personally love when corps go off and take a risk on doing something a little different (Bluecoats and BK of late) so I'm anxious to see what they end up doing with this show. 

I'm also good with them taking some risks, and curious to see where they go with the show. And I do think they look pretty proficient in the videos I've watched so far, so I'd bet they do pretty well out of the gate. But if I think back to what they had at the season opener for Inferno and Relentless, I think the show itself has further to go. 

1 minute ago, ForTheCommonGood said:

Obviously, it's difficult to tell over video, but in person the mix between vocal and horns is actually quite good in person (I've seen it live 4 times now). They feel pretty equal, the singing isn't quite as overwhelming live as it would be recorded on a phone, which by the looks of it is where these videos were recorded. 

Right, but I really don't think there's any reason the singer should be singing at all during the climax of the ballad. Just not a fan of that at all, and I'm nowhere close to a traditional dinosaur 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

What's funny is that people consider the singer as playing over the brass instead of the brass actually being an accompaniment...

But I know a good amount of people that won't ever like it just because it's singing. I've sat next to many people over the last few years that groan right when anything spoken or song comes out. I'm just not one of them but we all have different tastes.

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

Right, but I really don't think there's any reason the singer should be singing at all during the climax of the ballad. Just not a fan of that at all, and I'm nowhere close to a traditional dinosaur 

I 100% agree with you there, I can't even really make out the words in person during the climax, let alone on the video. And all of the lyrics crucial to the "storyline" happen beforehand. 

• Like 2