Carolina Crown 2017

Crown will be just fine and pull through. Also, WHEN they do (because they're simply no if here), I really don't want to see everyone jumping on here saying how they loved the show all season after giving Crown hell all season long. Just saying. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

Crown up to 76.5 tonight, but the Cadets are only .9 behind, so I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

I think it's a little misleading tonight. Partial panel always means some corps strengths or weaknesses might be "left out" in panels like this. Cadets worst 3 captions last time these two went head to head all happened to not be judged tonight (Vis Prof, Brass and Perc).

23 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

I think it's a little misleading tonight. Partial panel always means some corps strengths or weaknesses might be "left out" in panels like this. Cadets worst 3 captions last time these two went head to head all happened to not be judged tonight (Vis Prof, Brass and Perc).

I don't know that Cadets percussion is a bad caption or something holding them back. That line is smokin' good and will score much better as they get their feet under them. I agree about visual proficiency and brass. As I said in my review of the Massillon show, I love both of these shows.  Crown has advantages in performance and Cadets have advantages, especially long term, in visual design and general effect. At this stage though I do feel Crown is the better corps. Really enjoy both shows.

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I don't know that Cadets percussion is a bad caption or something holding them back. That line is smokin' good and will score much better as they get their feet under them. I agree about visual proficiency and brass. As I said in my review of the Massillon show, I love both of these shows.  Crown has advantages in performance and Cadets have advantages, especially long term, in visual design and general effect. At this stage though I do feel Crown is the better corps. Really enjoy both shows.

Not saying it's a bad caption for them but it was a weakness at the two head to head shows so far. And by weakness I mean they didn't top Crown in it.

The beauty of percussion in DCI is that it has gotten to the level where being a REALLY good line can land you in sixth place now.

I'm pleased to hear Crown is reaching a better mix by reducing the vocal component. This adjustment will keep Crown in the discussion for a podium spot. Appears their battle with an improved Cadets production will be a nail-biter that will not be sorted out until Indy. I suspect Cavaliers will get in the way of both corps going forward.  Difficult Finals results to predict this year.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

Not saying it's a bad caption for them but it was a weakness at the two head to head shows so far. And by weakness I mean they didn't top Crown in it.

The beauty of percussion in DCI is that it has gotten to the level where being a REALLY good line can land you in sixth place now.

Cadets cut GE gap since the Ohio show from 1.1 to 0.6 I believe. Roughly half.

that didn't happen without the performance caption gaps narrowing in my experience, so we probably should t assume those stayed the same deficits 

Cadets are a younger and less experienced corps right now. So utilize things like the GE trend and crowd reaction to gauge where things are going 

as far as Percussion Cadets are talented and most years finish ahead of Crown in this Caption, they are dirty right now but I would  be surprised if they didn't finish top 3 or 4 at finals

and there's the nugget that Cadets have topped Crown in Guard two shows in a row now. What was a significant competitive advantage for Crown has at least temporarily vanished

we dont know what the future competitive trend will be, so for now I would say just "Cadets seem to have caught up a little bit" and leave it at that

boh Corps are having excellent seasons so far!

Edited by George Dixon

*Honk honk* Cadets *honk honk*

• Like 2

9 hours ago, UKSuperman said:

Crown will be just fine and pull through. Also, WHEN they do (because they're simply no if here), I really don't want to see everyone jumping on here saying how they loved the show all season after giving Crown hell all season long. Just saying. 

UK, I saw Crown last night in Clifton and they are way better live than on video. The clarity, balance, sound and control of that horn line is unbelievable and you really have to see it live on the field to feel the full impact, its really something special to hear it live. You can make an argument that this could be their best horn line ever, IMO. The second half of the show needs some tweaks but this show could be a beast by Indy, if the staff makes the right changes. This is an extremely talented solid corps and nobody should be counting out Crown. Go see Crown live, you won't be disappointed, IMO.

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, ndrudy2013 said:

UK, I saw Crown last night in Clifton and they are way better live than on video. The clarity, balance, sound and control of that horn line is unbelievable and you really have to see it live on the field to feel the full impact, its really something special to hear it live. You can make an argument that this could be their best horn line ever, IMO. The second half of the show needs some tweaks but this show could be a beast by Indy, if the staff makes the right changes. This is an extremely talented solid corps and nobody should be counting out Crown. Go see Crown live, you won't be disappointed, IMO.

I'm not sure if my post got misconstrued or not. I certainly wasn't putting them down, but rather praising them. This is an all knew design team, but I have no doubt in my mind, they know what they're doing. This show isn't my favorite Crown, but it definitely isn't my least favorite either.

I've also got tickets to DCI NKY so I will definitely be seeing them live, providing the weather cooperates. Lol.