Carolina Crown 2017

3 minutes ago, Forevergreen said:

BD and Crown brought it last year and Bloo did as well.  Truth be told, I personally liked Bloo's show the most, but all three were championship worthy shows.

Agreed. Bloo won fair and square and they deserved it. But BD or Crown could have easily won as well. The real winners last year was the fans cause we was treated to three gold medal shows. 

• Like 9

20 hours ago, lanceengland said:

I did not notice that. I wonder if they are holding back the major resolve for the crown set?

I'd guess there wont be a crown set this year since they are focused on change.   But if there is a crown set, it will be upside down, cut into pieces, and otherwise unrecognizable.  Accompanied by singing. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lanceengland said:

I did not notice that. I wonder if they are holding back the major resolve for the crown set?

I'd guess there wont be a crown set this year since they are focused on change.   But if there is a crown set, it will be upside down, cut into pieces, and otherwise unrecognizable.  Accompanied by singing. 

I'm sure there will be a crown set. after all, the show is about remembering tradition while moving forward. There will be a crown set. they would lose a lot of fans if they removed it. Maybe go with some new agey Crown instead of the traditional crowns they go with?

posted from the DrumScorps app

7 minutes ago, UKSuperman said:

I'm sure there will be a crown set. after all, the show is about remembering tradition while moving forward. There will be a crown set. they would lose a lot of fans if they removed it. Maybe go with some new agey Crown instead of the traditional crowns they go with?

posted from the DrumScorps app

Doubt they'll lose fans because there isn't a crown set lol

• Like 1

I have been a Crown fan for decades. I love almost everything they do. But I really hate that I dislike this show so much. Last night was the second time seeing it (first in the theater, last night on Flo) and even though they cut some of the singing, they didn't cut enough. I just don't understand why the vocalist is featured so heavily through 2/3 of the show. On top of singing way too much and for too long, I don't get that wild arm-flailing that she's doing for most of it.

I will reiterate what dozens have already said - why oh why would you have the absolute best horn line in all of DCI play back-up to a so-so vocalist (sorry, but if you're going to have a singer at all with that caliber of hornline, he/she better be insanely off the charts great!) for 2/3 of your show. PLEASE Crown, make it a beautiful horn solo. Or if you have to keep the vocalist, let her sing the first verse of For Good and be done. Then give us that beautiful hornline we all love! Trust me, it can hold its own without any help!

My husband, who is nowhere near the die-hard drum corps fan that I am, but who nonetheless watches the shows with me, said the vocalist was extremely distracting. He said "way, isn't Crown usually GOOD?" My heart sank because I totally agree. I want to love this show so badly for the brass and percussion and guard, but that vocalist is just not doing it for me and pretty much ruining the show.

Sigh. :43_slight_frown:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MingoLeger said:

I have been a Crown fan for decades. I love almost everything they do. But I really hate that I dislike this show so much. Last night was the second time seeing it (first in the theater, last night on Flo) and even though they cut some of the singing, they didn't cut enough. I just don't understand why the vocalist is featured so heavily through 2/3 of the show. On top of singing way too much and for too long, I don't get that wild arm-flailing that she's doing for most of it.

I will reiterate what dozens have already said - why oh why would you have the absolute best horn line in all of DCI play back-up to a so-so vocalist (sorry, but if you're going to have a singer at all with that caliber of hornline, he/she better be insanely off the charts great!) for 2/3 of your show. PLEASE Crown, make it a beautiful horn solo. Or if you have to keep the vocalist, let her sing the first verse of For Good and be done. Then give us that beautiful hornline we all love! Trust me, it can hold its own without any help!

My husband, who is nowhere near the die-hard drum corps fan that I am, but who nonetheless watches the shows with me, said the vocalist was extremely distracting. He said "way, isn't Crown usually GOOD?" My heart sank because I totally agree. I want to love this show so badly for the brass and percussion and guard, but that vocalist is just not doing it for me and pretty much ruining the show.

Sigh. :43_slight_frown:

I understand where you're coming from, but the way I see it is that before she even comes in there is already so much great brass playing going on that it doesn't feel like the vocalist is taking away from any of it. People's arguments make it seem like the brass isn't even playing at all and that they only play when she sings which is very untrue. I guess I'm just looking for excuses to disagree with the harsh criticism that crown is getting but my point is, they play well enough in the beginning that I don't mind them getting "covered up" in the ballad and closer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turntpapa said:

I understand where you're coming from, but the way I see it is that before she even comes in there is already so much great brass playing going on that it doesn't feel like the vocalist is taking away from any of it. People's arguments make it seem like the brass isn't even playing at all and that they only play when she sings which is very untrue. I guess I'm just looking for excuses to disagree with the harsh criticism that crown is getting but my point is, they play well enough in the beginning that I don't mind them getting "covered up" in the ballad and closer.

And I see where you're coming from too, and yes, I agree that the brass is incredible in the beginning before the singing. I guess I'm just greedy and I want that great brass to be the focal point through the rest of the show as well (except for a percussion feature of course). IMO they are just too good to be "covered up". In fact, I wouldn't want any corps' brass to be covered up that much. But that's just me.

• Like 1