Carolina Crown 2017

Just now, MingoLeger said:

And I see where you're coming from too, and yes, I agree that the brass is incredible in the beginning before the singing. I guess I'm just greedy and I want that great brass to be the focal point through the rest of the show as well (except for a percussion feature of course). IMO they are just too good to be "covered up". In fact, I wouldn't want any corps' brass to be covered up that much. But that's just me.

And you're right too, me being a brass guy I would love for the singer not to be there at all and to be able to hear some raw brass, but the designers put her there for a reason and I'm hoping that it pays off in the end, but for now I guess we'll have to see how much more singing they cut, whether its to satisfy the judges, fans or themselves. Either way, I love the show and all the amazing talent in it (including the singer).  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, lanceengland said:

I did not notice that. I wonder if they are holding back the major resolve for the crown set?

I'd guess there wont be a crown set this year since they are focused on change.   But if there is a crown set, it will be upside down, cut into pieces, and otherwise unrecognizable.  Accompanied by singing. 

I'm sure there will be a crown set. after all, the show is about remembering tradition while moving forward. There will be a crown set. they would lose a lot of fans if they removed it. Maybe go with some new agey Crown instead of the traditional crowns they go with?

posted from the DrumScorps app

It's a tradition. kind of like the Cadets and the West point uniforms. did you see the outrage when they simply went to black? I can see them losing fans for extracting the traditional crown set. 2009 people almost had a conniption when they didn't add it in until about the last 2 weeks of the season.

I still don’t know about this show, it’s as if they have two themes and neither is explained or presented fully and they are not cohesive. The deconstruction idea is cool, they just don’t do much with it and I’m not hearing it. Drum corps changing is done poorly and not explained. Issues everywhere  

• Like 2

Just now, cowtown said:

I still don’t know about this show, it’s as if they have two themes and neither is explained or presented fully and they are not cohesive. The deconstruction idea is cool, they just don’t do much with it and I’m not hearing it. Drum corps changing is done poorly and not explained. Issues everywhere  

I'm not saying this is your case but I feel like a lot of the people who say they don't understand the show are just way overthinking it. I don't think the theme/story is as deep as you might think. It's simply: traditional (1st movement) -> Sing about change (Ballad)-> Change (Closer) -> Go back! (Reprise in the last 45ish seconds). I could be completely wrong with this timeline explanation, but I think we'd all be better off to just no overthink what's on the field and to just keep a simple idea of what is being portrayed while enjoying the talent

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turntpapa said:

I understand where you're coming from, but the way I see it is that before she even comes in there is already so much great brass playing going on that it doesn't feel like the vocalist is taking away from any of it. People's arguments make it seem like the brass isn't even playing at all and that they only play when she sings which is very untrue. I guess I'm just looking for excuses to disagree with the harsh criticism that crown is getting but my point is, they play well enough in the beginning that I don't mind them getting "covered up" in the ballad and closer.

Not sure I really buy that. If you went to a Broadway musical, would you be okay with them just singing for half of it and then the rest of the time they led to the music to the pit or a instrumental soloist?

im not 100% against vocals. THey can be done well and be effective (usually in very small doses). 

• Like 1

Just now, Cappybara said:

Not sure I really buy that. If you went to a Broadway musical, would you be okay with them just singing for half of it and then the rest of the time they led to the music to the pit or a instrumental soloist?

im not 100% against vocals. THey can be done well and be effective (usually in very small doses). 

I see your point, maybe vocals don't belong at all on the football field, but either way they're something new and hopefully they will modify them to where both sides are happy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, turntpapa said:

I'm not saying this is your case but I feel like a lot of the people who say they don't understand the show are just way overthinking it. I don't think the theme/story is as deep as you might think. It's simply: traditional (1st movement) -> Sing about change (Ballad)-> Change (Closer) -> Go back! (Reprise in the last 45ish seconds). I could be completely wrong with this timeline explanation, but I think we'd all be better off to just no overthink what's on the field and to just keep a simple idea of what is being portrayed while enjoying the talent

So why is it changing, why do I care that it changes, who is the arbiter of change and how is it changing? They fail to address the most basic issues they present, it’s not thought out and the visual isn’t supporting it (yet?). I get why Blue Devils become butterflies, they’re attempt at Drum Corps change is far more effective

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UKSuperman said:

I'm sure there will be a crown set. after all, the show is about remembering tradition while moving forward. There will be a crown set. they would lose a lot of fans if they removed it. Maybe go with some new agey Crown instead of the traditional crowns they go with?

I they lose fans because they don't do a crown set, then they weren't really "fans" in the first place.

Edited by yogitom
Grammar
  • Like 3

Just now, cowtown said:

So why is it changing, why do I care that it changes, who is the arbiter of change and how is it changing? They fail to address the most basic issues they present, it’s not thought out and the visual isn’t supporting it (yet?). I get why Blue Devils become butterflies, they’re attempt at Drum Corps change is far more effective

I don't know why it is what it is ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). So in the meantime I'll enjoy the show without getting too philosophical about the whys. Who knows, maybe by August we will all have a good idea as to why.

Just now, yogitom said:

I they ;lose fans because they don't do a crown set, then they weren't really "fans" in the first place.

Just how I doubt many "fans" stopped following the activity after the Bluecoats lost their coats. Getting flustered so much about something so small is honestly really unnecessary.