Carolina Crown 2017

1 hour ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Almost lost in all the discussion so far is the outstanding job that Jeff Sacktig has done with the drill.  Wow, he didn't waste anytime putting his signature on the corps.  

Also, this!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UKSuperman said:

I'm sure there will be a crown set. after all, the show is about remembering tradition while moving forward. There will be a crown set. they would lose a lot of fans if they removed it. Maybe go with some new agey Crown instead of the traditional crowns they go with?

posted from the DrumScorps app

I they lose fans because they don't do a crown set, then they weren't really "fans" in the first place.

Same could be said about the cadets then too, right? The change from traditional colors to black wasn't well received and neither will crown not doing a crown set. Yet Crown fans will get hell for it, unlike the cadets.

3 minutes ago, UKSuperman said:

Same could be said about the cadets then too, right? The change from traditional colors to black wasn't well received and neither will crown not doing a crown set. Yet Crown fans will get hell for it, unlike the cadets.

Well the Cadets had a complete aesthetic identity change, while Crown just doesn't have a crown in the closer. Remember there is a crown in the opener...

6 minutes ago, UKSuperman said:

Yet Crown fans will get hell for it, unlike the cadets.

You've got to be kidding me. You didn't frequent any Cadets FB pages or the thread last year, did you...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MingoLeger said:

I have been a Crown fan for decades. I love almost everything they do. But I really hate that I dislike this show so much. Last night was the second time seeing it (first in the theater, last night on Flo) and even though they cut some of the singing, they didn't cut enough. I just don't understand why the vocalist is featured so heavily through 2/3 of the show. On top of singing way too much and for too long, I don't get that wild arm-flailing that she's doing for most of it.

The vocalist is really only the featured voice in the ballad from Wicked. On "NO one To KNOW one" she is just one more "instrumental" voice in the chart, not an overpowering feature covering up the brass, very true to the original piece. 

• Like 4

Yes Crown is on the up string all around.

2 hours ago, turntpapa said:

I don't know why it is what it is ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°). So in the meantime I'll enjoy the show without getting too philosophical about the whys. Who knows, maybe by August we will all have a good idea as to why.

Without exposition there is no context and it is just a disconnected, disjointed show. I doubt most casual fans or folks new to the activity would get anything this show is going for, even knowing I have a difficult time with the buy-in.  It needs a lot of work on their theme

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeD said:

On "NO one To KNOW one" she is just one more "instrumental" voice in the chart, not an overpowering feature covering up the brass, very true to the original piece. 

Why do we care about him? Is he the darling of the band world, why?  I poked around his site, listened to some stuff and it seems like the sort of stuff only music educators or music majors would listen too but as an ‘oh this is interesting’ kind of thing. It doesn’t rock me and I don’t see the greater market and this is the fourth run at that song in 2 years so I figure some band or guard used it and others are jumping on

3 minutes ago, UKSuperman said:

Well the Cadets had a complete aesthetic identity change, while Crown just doesn't have a crown in the closer. Remember there is a crown in the opener...

I have yet to find this crown in the opener and I've watched practically every video I could find of them since the preview show.

6 minutes ago, UKSuperman said:

Yet Crown fans will get hell for it, unlike the cadets.

You've got to be kidding me. You didn't frequent any Cadets FB pages or the thread last year, did you...

Nope, I didn't. my interest in The Cadets left after the 2007 season. They used to be one of my top 3 favorites. I just find their shows boring anymore. Personal preference I guess.