Carolina Crown 2017

6 hours ago, cowtown said:

Why do we care about him? Is he the darling of the band world, why?  I poked around his site, listened to some stuff and it seems like the sort of stuff only music educators or music majors would listen too but as an ‘oh this is interesting’ kind of thing. It doesn’t rock me and I don’t see the greater market and this is the fourth run at that song in 2 years so I figure some band or guard used it and others are jumping on

The Crown staff apparently thought it would be a good piece for their show. That is besides the point though, that unlike the ballad, the vocalist is just one voice among all of the others, not a soloist with brass background as in the ballad. 

3 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

You can thank the Bluecoats, who introduced the drum corps world to him when they used his "to wALk Or ruN in wEst harlem" in their 2014 show.

Oddly enough, my son and his wife live in West Harlem, in a co-op they purchased a few years ago. I think they normally walk.   :lle: 

11 hours ago, MikeD said:

The Crown staff apparently thought it would be a good piece for their show. That is besides the point though,

no, that is my point, it's following a trend, not cutting new ground or effecting change and moving forward. it was a bad pick to achieve their goal within the theme's context

5 minutes ago, UKSuperman said:

I have yet to find this crown in the opener and I've watched practically every video I could find of them since the preview show.

posted from the DrumScorps app

It's not the traditional Crown we're used to but hey, I call it the Sacktig Crown.

I figured thats where it was. Thing is though, you can't exactly tell that from the high school stadiums they've been performing in. Lol. I thought it was just a zig zag of some sort. With the traditional crowns they've done, you could tell that's what it was from any angle. I guess we'll see in about 2 weeks if they add one to the end in traditional form.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cowtown said:

no, that is my point, it's following a trend, not cutting new ground or effecting change and moving forward. it was a bad pick to achieve their goal within the theme's context

The post you replied to made no value judgement about the piece, only about the use of the voice as one equal part among many, which is why I said your reply was besides the point...this is my post:

"The vocalist is really only the featured voice in the ballad from Wicked. On "NO one To KNOW one" she is just one more "instrumental" voice in the chart, not an overpowering feature covering up the brass, very true to the original piece." 

When did they add that "lapel" to the uniform it has the triangles like the top of the guard costumes - and I guess the triangles of the kick drum platforms in the closer... ?

I just noticed it on a video from July 4 of the closer - I hadn't noticed them before...

1 hour ago, ashevillemurphy said:

When did they add that "lapel" to the uniform it has the triangles like the top of the guard costumes - and I guess the triangles of the kick drum platforms in the closer... ?

I just noticed it on a video from July 4 of the closer - I hadn't noticed them before...

I think the flap has always been a part of the uniform jacket, but they just recently integrated it into the show.  It appears to be a Velcro flap similar to 2012's that is opened at some point in the show.  If you look closely you can see the seam for the flap even in the pictures from the preview show.  

• Like 1

Good read here on which vocals have been removed. It's weird in that it nixes several bars of the actual melody. Something that wouldn't have needed to happen if this were, say, a mellophone solo...

5 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

Good read here on which vocals have been removed. It's weird in that it nixes several bars of the actual melody. Something that wouldn't have needed to happen if this were, say, a mellophone solo...

A few comments after watching this video:  Really impressed on how well Crown has built percussion over the past few years.   They've been clean all year and this video just proves they are off the charts.  Good grief, that drum line is absolutely stellar.  As for CrownBRASS:  clean, rich, beautiful, dynamic.  Perhaps a 6th Ott in the making.   Vocal?  Well, in this setting, it works.  I still find the first half of the show to be the most compelling from a musical standpoint.  But make no mistake, there are some incredible moments musically even aftter the vocalist comes in.  With so much focus on the singer, it's easy to lose sight of how amazing the ensemble performs.  

Thanks for posting!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1