Carolina Crown 2017

Cadets 2013 could have been 2-3. The judges could have easily scored them higher. The "boxes issue" was not an issue but they chose it to be. Plenty of props after that by other corps were scrutinized less.

You and many others say it wasn't one.......I and many others did. In my eyes the movement of those things was the least of the problems but I digress. If we wanna pull this dead horse back up and beat it go resurrect the Cadets 2013 thread or start a new one. Though I guess in your eyes every single Cadets placement unless they win or don't get passed up at finals is a freakin conspiracy against Hopkins.

SO.

I am intrigued at the idea of Sacktig writing for Crown. In 2017.

Edited by DrumManTx

You and many others say it wasn't one.......I and many others did. In my eyes the movement of those things was the least of the problems but I digress. If we wanna pull this dead horse back up and beat it go resurrect the Cadets 2013 thread or start a new one.

SO.

thank you.

I too am excited to see what Jeff will bring to Crown. I suspect a lot people are thinking "Cadets drill" and I think that couldn't be further from the truth. If you've seen his work outside the Cadets, you'll know his palette is extensive.

I'm thinking 2017 may very well be Sacktig Unleashed!

thank you.

I too am excited to see what Jeff will bring to Crown. I suspect a lot people are thinking "Cadets drill" and I think that couldn't be further from the truth. If you've seen his work outside the Cadets, you'll know his palette is extensive.

Who else has he written for?

I know of Wakeland high school and a few others.

You and many others say it wasn't one.......I and many others did. In my eyes the movement of those things was the least of the problems but I digress. If we wanna pull this dead horse back up and beat it go resurrect the Cadets 2013 thread or start a new one. Though I guess in your eyes every single Cadets placement unless they win or don't get passed up at finals is a freakin conspiracy against Hopkins.

SO.

Yes.

thank you.

Jeff had many "constraints" put on him by Gino. Everything was about brass placement which limited Jeff's creativity. Obviously you can't put trumpets backfield for a feature but the tension existed. Jeff certainly will write a Crown drill but the Zingali-Sylvester--Jeff-Leon thread has been there anyway. Edited by Tobias

Well you love to spin things back to how Crown with these changes will likely not be a contender. And I disagree. Let's take your points one by one.

1. Tom Aungst is not the sole reason for the percussion improvement. Travis recruited members from CWP...Tom had nothing to do with that. He could not even get his own kid to stay with Crown. Travis was there every day making that line better just like Jake Gall was at Cadets.

2. You said 2012-2015 Cadets were getting massacred in visual. 2012 was that Christmas show. And it was that drill and Jay Bocook's music that saved that show from being a total disaster. 2013 The Cadets finished third overall and yes they were 4th on VA but that was because of those crazy porta potties that Hop insisted on. The drill was excellent. 2014 the corps was 3rd and overall visual was second. 2015 that drill was brilliant. They were 3rd in VA. So much of the visual shortcomings too are a product of the show and not solely specific to the drill.

3. I agree that corps are getting better. BD of course and Bloo of course. SCV I don't necessarily see as improving. They have a great drill designer and amazing drum line but their show concepts tend to hold them back.

Bottom line...Crown can most definitely continue to compete for the title with the new designers added. Especially when combined with the best brass and visual teams out there and arguably the best music arranger in DCI.

Depends on the Crownguard in 2017. See Cadets 2015.

Well the Cadets 2016 prove that even a corps rich in history doesn't always have a smooth transition with a new staff.

Well, with all due respect, there is only one George Hopkins.