Carolina Crown 2017

In my opinion, and it seems like many others can agree, Crown's shows have been all very similar since 2013. A lot of similar tempos, sound color of the shows all very similar (likely due to the key of Bb), with very very similar drill year to year.

And it's also just their style, but it's gotten a little stale for me as a fan. This past year was my favorite since 2013 by a long shot.

I love Crown, and believe their brass staff to be some of the best there will ever be, but I'm excited to see a change in show design.

Well musically the staff is largely in tact -- so maybe you'll be disappointed. Morricone, Barber, Dobson, Sting, Cohen -- yep. Not enough variety. Bb thing has been blown up by many posts with actual scores in hand. Do they hit at least one big Bb chord every season -- heck yeah. Does that make sense when your brass is in the key of -- wait for it -- Bb? Left as an exercise for the reader.

Visually -- I agree that Leon May had a tendency to reuse drill. Will be fun to see what Sacktig brings to Crown.

On the gripping hand, you can make the "same" argument with every corps whose designers remain the same year to year.

• Like 2

Well musically the staff is largely in tact -- so maybe you'll be disappointed. Morricone, Barber, Dobson, Sting, Cohen -- yep. Not enough variety. Bb thing has been blown up by many posts with actual scores in hand. Do they hit at least one big Bb chord every season -- heck yeah. Does that make sense when your brass is in the key of -- wait for it -- Bb? Left as an exercise for the reader.

Visually -- I agree that Leon May had a tendency to reuse drill. Will be fun to see what Sacktig brings to Crown.

On the gripping hand, you can make the "same" argument with every corps whose designers remain the same year to year.

Idk, I think Crown has its distinctive sounds and style. Nothing wrong with that. Jeff reuses drill moves too. They all do. I'm sure he'll make the drill Crownesque in nature.

If we don't see a "crown set" I'd be VERY surprised...lol

1990, 1998, 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016!

Idk, I think Crown has its distinctive sounds and style. Nothing wrong with that. Jeff reuses drill moves too. They all do. I'm sure he'll make the drill Crownesque in nature.

Agree that everyone re-uses to a degree. It's just a matter of how fresh "looking" you can make it appear. Looking forward to plenty of Crownesquenicity!

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Agree that everyone re-uses to a degree. It's just a matter of how fresh "looking" you can make it appear. Looking forward to plenty of Crownesquenicity!

I get the sense that the other poster is sensing that crown "seemed" stale not on content...thay have loads of variety there from year to year...but more because it seemed formulaic...I don't see that as bad or weakness.

• Like 1

Here's a photo of some 1997 CrownGuard members . (CrownGuard alum and current staff member Andria Foerich is 2nd from the left)

Did you know that the tradition of singing "You Are My Sunshine" when guard members enter the field and set their equipment began with this group?

stZATAd.jpg

Crown's 1997 show was entitled "Postcards from Britain." Selections included Crown Imperial,Terpsichore ,Nimrod, and Jig (from St. Paul's Suite). They finished 12th with a score of 85.0. It was Crown's 3rd straight year making Division I Finals. They moved to Division 1 in 1994 after winning Division 2 in 1993. They have only missed Division 1 (World Class) finals twice since moving up: their first year in 1994 (finishing 17th) and then again in 2002 (the infamous toga year) when they finished 16th.

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1