Complaints

I realize that DCI saves money by not paying for ushers, and that these are among the most first-world problems that can be faced, but seat-hoppers just pee-me off bigtime.

I talked to a couple of ushers last year in the end zone seating area, as I was taking pictures from different locations, but maybe they don't have enough assigned in the popular viewing sections.

Edited by Ghost

Seat hoppers. One asked me to present my ticket. For my seat.

If they are obviously MMs (young with wristbands) and there are seats nearby for me, I'll be accommodating until the ticket holder for the seat I moved to shows up.

I didn't really have any real problems for prelims and semis. For finals, the Crown block was of course full. The only real problem was the "Drill Sargent" (with apologies to Drill Sargents everywhere) event staff person reading the riot act at the top of his lungs to MMs in our section at Finals. He vowed to check EVERY ticket in our section. Funny, after that we didn't hear from him again. I hope he got reported for his total lack of tact.

There are 38+ shows we'll never see performed live again. :-(

• Like 4

I'm not sure you can compare scores on the same date in different location, let alone compare scores from different years. The Blue Devils won in 1976 with a 92.7 and wouldn't make the top 25 today. And also a 5 point gap between scores is different depending on the scoring range. A gap of 90 to 95 is much larger than a gap of 70 to 75. iMO it all has to do with the amount of work needed to close the gap. It takes much less work to go from a 70 to a 75 than from a 90 to a 95.

There are 38+ shows we'll never see performed live again. :-(

First season I've ever felt the way I do now. I so wish I could see some of these shows again from the 50. Watching the encore performance of Down Side Up last night was bittersweet. What a celebration!

• Like 1

In drum corps, as in life, context is everything.

In 1972, (the first year if DCI) swimmer Mark Spitz won 7 gold medals at the Munich Olympic games. Today, those times would not even quality for the semi-finals of the national team trials.

• Like 3

I'm sick and tired of post-modern shows that have no substance...like "Continuum." What is it? It's all head, no heart. Art and music should move you, tug at your heart strings, in addition to inspiring you in your head. This is why I didn't like the SCV show, even though everyone thinks it's beautiful. Too much white visually...white tree, white pants, my eyes need a break! And what was it about? It was too disjointed...the beginning was the only inspiring part. But the rest of the show was just a string of sound.

The favorites were the shows that had meaning...The Academy, Crown, Cavaliers, etc. Even Bluecoats seemed to be communicating "joy" and "freedom". But vague esoteric shows that try to impress the judges with how "artistic" they are being with vague and unmemorable themes, cause nothing but confusion and "what is it" blank stares from their audiences.

Another complaint: Not playing America the Beautiful at awards ceremony as was tradition in the '90s...for all the corps to play, with the winning conductor conducting 12 finalist corps.

Edited by chris7997
  • Like 1

The Blue Devils won in 1976 with a 92.7 and wouldn't make the top 25 today.

As Brasso often points out, most of today's top corps might have trouble making Finals in, say, 1976, because they'd be hit with all sorts of penalties.