Complaints

This year was near record attendance, wasnt it? I think that's part of the problem. Less and less actually open seats for corps members to sit in on the sideline sections of the field, where it was less of a problem with more seats open in past years. (Wasnt long ago attendance was ~17000, where this year it was 22k. A lot of seats to fit the members\staff in) Place was packed. May have legitimately been people who grabbed a seat that was unclaimed earlier, and thought it was 'theirs' for the night, and not fair game for anyone else without a ticket to grab... resulting in those people asking for a ticket before moving..

That being said, the first rule of grabbing seats as a member\staff is that while grabbing seats is generally viewed as OK, you also give those back to someone if they have the tickets.

Record attendance for Indianapolis, but far from an overall record. IIRC, that happened in Montreal in '81 or '82, with north of 40k in Olympic stadium.

EDIT: 40k is the number I remember being tossed around. Did some looking, and it seems that's a bit fat. Consensus is the actual number was in the 35k-38k range.

Edited by StuStu
  • Like 1

P.S. - as long as they don't give up keeping time. That is the first and foremost job of a drum major in a show: to be a human metronome. They also need to be great leaders. Some DMs don't do much more than wave their arms because they were selected for their leadership skills and not their conducting skills, and are working hard just to develop those.

I'm not sure what corps you are watching, but drum majors do not keep the time. They may set or change the time, but it is the musicians responsibility to keep the time. As it should be in all musical ensembles.

Record attendance for Indianapolis, but far from an overall record. IIRC, that happened in Montreal in '81 or '82, with north of 40k in Olympic stadium.

Sure, but the capacity of the venue and recent historical attendance is what's relevant here. 81 was 35 years ago and irrelevant to current discussion.

Because of the effects from multiple sclerosis, I am unable to sit comfortably in any one position for more than 5 or 10 minutes, so I have to alternate between leaning against the chair back and sitting on the edge of my seat - and everything in between, and it's the same whether I'm at a drum corps show, the symphony, a movie theater or a restaurant. I can promise you that if I am leaning back in my seat at the beginning of a particular corps's show, by the end of that 11 minutes, I will be on the edge of the seat, or vice versa. And I agree with garfield that as long as my butt is on my seat, it's my prerogative whether I sit back or sit on the edge of my seat.

I've been to about 30 DCI finals over the years, but have missed out on the past four years. I was already thinking about trying to make the trip to Indy next August, but after reading how much some people would apparently be bothered by my changing of my seating position, not sure whether I'll bother. The last thing I would want to do is ruin the experience for anyone.

Edited by oldsoprano

Sure, but the capacity of the venue and recent historical attendance is what's relevant here. 81 was 35 years ago and irrelevant to current discussion.

You asked if it was near-record attendance. All I did was answer your question.

Edited by StuStu
  • Like 1

What if the person behind sits closer to the edge of the seat too? Theoretically then it would make no difference.

It would to the person behind them, though. It starts a chain reaction of leanings. Also it removes the option of short people leaning forward to see over people sitting normally.

I want Donald Trump & family and Hillary Clinton & family to hug one another, board a flight together to Polynesia, then remain there until such time as I call them. And if their phone doesn't ring there, they all can be assured that its me.

My complaint today is that I can't arrange this.

But the good news is that I remain undaunted in this quest.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

Because of the effects from multiple sclerosis, I am unable to sit comfortably in any one position for more than 5 or 10 minutes, so I have to alternate between leaning against the chair back and sitting on the edge of my seat - and everything in between, and it's the same whether I'm at a drum corps show, the symphony, a movie theater or a restaurant. I can promise you that if I am leaning back in my seat at the beginning of a particular corps's show, by the end of that 11 minutes, I will be on the edge of the seat, or vice versa. And I agree with garfield that as long as my butt is on my seat, it's my prerogative whether I sit back or sit on the edge of my seat.

I've been to about 30 DCI finals over the years, but have missed out on the past four years. I was already thinking about trying to make the trip to Indy next August, but after reading how much some people would apparently be bothered by my changing of my seating position, not sure whether I'll bother. The last thing I would want to do is ruin the experience for anyone.

If you're in the last row it would be no problem. Just get your order in quick! You might hear a judge in your year but I say that's part of the show.

Also, before tickets go on sale you could ask DCI for special accommodation seating of some kind. Just a thought.

• Like 2

Drum Majors that show NO emotion.

We need/want more drum majors like David Warren and James Taylor (name?) from The Academy!!

Yes please!! Some corps might as well put robots on the podium and let the assigned DMs just be leaders for the corps. Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 1