Complaints

Good riddance to that "SEC football" atmosphere. I now no longer have to hear crap like "judges are you watching" on finals recordings. Plus I like to actually hear the corps, not some dude screaming next to me. I was almost annoyed in Annapolis when people were cheering and clapping during SCV's pit feature. I just want to hear the music and all its nuances.

The majority of the individual comments never make it on the CD/DVD products since most mics are down on the touchline. For the most part, no more Montreal style yelling by fans near the sidelines.

My only complaint this year is likely some of the shows are drifting into a weird kind of esoteric theme, something so strange that it almost means nothing.

For instance, the Bluecoats. The last Bluecoats show I actually enjoyed was 2013 - now they're doing these show concepts that don't really mean anything (to me at least, as this is a personal opinion). 2014 was triangles. 2015 was circles. 2016 was disco pants and skateboard ramps.

However, don't get me wrong. They performed the hell out of all three of those shows and I've always of the "it doesn't matter, they executed better" crowd, but since this thread is for general complaints, that's it.

Also, the Bluecoats aren't the only corps guilty of this, they're just easily the most high-profile candidate.

EDIT: Fixed a typo.

Edited by Hatorade

My only complaint this year is likely some of the shows are drifting into a weird kind of esoteric theme, something so strange that it almost means nothing.

For instance, the Bluecoats. The last Bluecoats show I actually enjoyed was 2013 - now they're doing these show concepts that don't really mean anything (to me at least, as this is a personal opinion). 2014 was triangles. 2015 was circles. 2016 was disco pants and skateboard ramps.

However, don't get me wrong. They performed the hell out of all three of those shows and I've always of the "it doesn't matter, they executed better" crowd, but since this thread is for general complaints, that's it.

Also, the Bluecoats aren't the only corps guilty of this, they're just easily the most high-profile candidate.

EDIT: Fixed a typo.

Sorry...not sure what you're getting at here.

Best I can assess it, Bluecoats' "theme" the past three years has been "hey, let's play awesome music and do awesome **** on a football field."

That sounds roughly identical to what the "theme" was for...well, everyone, back in the 70's and 80's that people so enjoy harping on. It also sounds like the theme for shows in roughly every year since (off the top of my head, Crossmen '02 fits in this mold, as does Madison '10.

now, there's definitely esoteric stuff happening (BK this year, for example; I'd say BD 2010 and 2012 fall here too). but I don't think Bluecoats are an ideal example.

Sorry...not sure what you're getting at here.

Best I can assess it, Bluecoats' "theme" the past three years has been "hey, let's play awesome music and do awesome **** on a football field."

That sounds roughly identical to what the "theme" was for...well, everyone, back in the 70's and 80's that people so enjoy harping on. It also sounds like the theme for shows in roughly every year since (off the top of my head, Crossmen '02 fits in this mold, as does Madison '10.

now, there's definitely esoteric stuff happening (BK this year, for example; I'd say BD 2010 and 2012 fall here too). but I don't think Bluecoats are an ideal example.

Let me clarify.

The Bluecoats are definitely not the most guilty example - they are simply the most high-profile example.

But, the basis of it is that whereas many shows pick a topic to explore - an idea - the Bluecoats do exactly what you said. Pick loud music and perform the hell out of it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying that - that is your preference.

However, it does not coincide with my preference - not saying that it matters or that they should change it - just that I dislike it and therefore will complain about it, yeah?

Let me clarify.

The Bluecoats are definitely not the most guilty example - they are simply the most high-profile example.

But, the basis of it is that whereas many shows pick a topic to explore - an idea - the Bluecoats do exactly what you said. Pick loud music and perform the hell out of it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying that - that is your preference.

However, it does not coincide with my preference - not saying that it matters or that they should change it - just that I dislike it and therefore will complain about it, yeah?

Oh, yeah, that's fine! Honestly, I often prefer themed shows, so long as the theme is done well (which is why I prefer Cadets 2011 to, say, Cadets 2013).

I just didn't think the word "esoteric" fit what you were getting at, was all.

I know you can't dictate all of what happens in the theatre industry, but going to a live music event at a movie theatre and having crappy sound sort of defeats the purpose. After paying the money to go to the season premiere, there was no way I was paying for that experience again for the prelims.

To me, it makes infinitely more sense to just cut a deal with the cable/satellite companies and stream it live via PPV.

If possible, try a different movie theater next time. The sound at the Showcase Cinema in Revere, MA was superb. Leather recliners, great picture. Of course, if the nearest theater is 100 miles away....

not having recaps was a major bum out for me. i like granular detail. what was the reasoning behind the move?

I had no idea this thread would get 11 pages already.

No, I'm NOT upset the Cavs beat The Cadets. I do think the Cadets should have been 6th, just not with a measly 92.x

I'm not upset about anyone who beat anyone. That wasn't the purpose of my complaints.

Great show by the Cavs, at first I hated it, but then I grew to love it.

My favs for the season were Blue Knights, SCV, then Cavs.

I get what you're saying and do question the gap Cadets got beat by at finals. I accept the placement, certainly question the music caption for Cadets. Bought into bad design I get it. Didn't buy into the 6th in music and that's where the numbers had to be strong for them to be 4-5. I think they were very strong at finals and were certainly judged a bit " harshly" no doubt BUT Cadets have also won DCI by a tenth so it goes both ways.