Complaints

Dear Phantom....is it REALLY necessary to have black belly pads on your battery when you're wearing white pants??

Argh! Reminds me of 85 Star with the white carrier against black pants....you guys can't afford a can of white paint??

• 3 months later...

I don't have much to complain about, but i whole heartedly disagree with your claim that you can compare scores in 2010 to 2016. Not only is every season different, but the judging sheets have undergone 3 changes since 2010 (2012, 2014, and 2016). Perhaps 2016 has been the most accurate year in a while when it came to scores because of the hidden captions. We are just used to having inflated scores, especially for certain corps.

And to add to what you said, the OP is a great example of why DCI uses multiple judges spread by captions - no single person is capable of judging every aspect of a corps performance.

I had to read this. I should be compensated for my time!

The guy in front of me at the store bought Pumpkin Spice beer. Dude, you obviously don't like beer. Can I offer you a chaser with that? Have you tried white wine spritzers?

• Like 2

Honestly, I think you are far more hung up on the scores than the Cadets members were. From the performers perspective, there is a LOT more to the experience than the OPINION and related number given out by (in many cases) questionably qualified individuals.

This year, I came back to marching competitive drum corps for the first time in 23 years. Am I bummed that we came in 3rd at Drum Corps Europe? Absolutely not. Jubal had a great show and are some of the nicest individuals I have ever had the pleasure of meeting in all my years associated with the activity. The Company... whilst their show is certainly not to my taste... the judges dug them and scored them higher than us. What I DO know is that the crowd in Kerkrade went ape(poop) over us and for the last 4 minutes of our show, nary a one of them was sitting down. We entertained our backsides off and left it all on the field.

THAT is what I came back for. Numbers are completely out of my control and honestly don't mean a whole lot to me. By your logic, when I marched in a 19th, 15th and 14th place corps, were those seasons total disasters?

Absolutely not.

Edited by Cainan
  • Like 1

Seat hoppers aren't much of a problem for me. If there are empty seats for a corps, and if some corps members who worked hard all summer can grab a seat and watch a show, great.

BUT: For The Academy's show at finals this year, a mother of one of the members hopped/grabbed a seat in front of me and held her phone high for video. It was a big phone, and she used both hands to capture the show. It was annoying at first, and as it continued once the show started, of course it was rude. Some fans behind me asked her to put the phone down. She didn't. Then the fans got snarky. The Academy is performing this wonderful show, and yet I am very distracted looking through and around her arms. A fan or two got angry with their comments, but the mother kept on blocking our view. At one point, she turned and said she had a son marching and she wasn't going to miss getting this on video. She seemed indignant that the small group of fans behind her wouldn't let her block their view without complaint.

Once The Academy wrapped, a fan down the row from me who did not have his view blocked by the camera-mother scolded the fans behind me for talking during a show.

This was a nasty moment in an otherwise nice three days of finals shows in my section of seats.